Help with bias circuit issue

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by _Steve, Jul 31, 2020 at 5:04 PM.

1. _Steve

_Steve TDPRI Member

I feel a little bad starting another thread on the same build - im still very much learning about this world!

Im having a very strange issue with the bias circuit of the 6G3 im building from a AO-29 chassis and transformers.

My bias circuit is only putting out around -8VDC, when it should be around -27 to -32. I have tried swapping all the components and have now even recreated the entire circuit with new components on a breadboard outside the chassis to try to eliminate possibilities but i get the same incorrect result!

I then simulated the circuit in LTSpice using the exact values on my breadboard and I get a correct voltage of around -27VDC.

I must be doing a really stupid noob mistake. Can anyone please spot the differences in these two circuits?

LTSpice (same component values as breadboard - produces correct -27V):
    LTSpice_Bias.PNG

My breadboard version (produces -8.3VDC - AC jumpered from PT, other alligator clip is grounded back to chassis):
    breadboard.jpg

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

A bias circuit has its electrolytic grounded at the + terminal, not the - terminal like a B+ filter cap. Check that and also test your diode.

3. _Steve

_Steve TDPRI Member

Haha -27.5VDC! That did it! THANKS!! Thats 4 hours i'll never get back lol

The cap polarity had crossed my mind so I had already double checked it with a Mojotone schematic. Look at this:
    20200731_141110 (2).jpg

4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Bastards!

Drop them an email. That totally sucks.

5. _Steve

_Steve TDPRI Member

Well I didn't buy anything from them so I can't complain lol

Amp is up and running - thanks for your help!

6. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

How's it sound?

Rock on!

And - they're still bastards if they are sharing a wrong 'un.

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've emailed them a couple times and they are usually quick to respond when you point out things like that.

King Fan and tubegeek like this.
  8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Agree, Mojo are usually responsive. But if you didn't buy from them (or in fact if you did), word to the wise -- their layouts and schematics aren't perfect. Most kit diagrams and instructions have problems. They're small shops and they employ earth humans.... :)

Unless you can find a known-good diagram from someone like Rob, and especially for things that don't change over the years, Fender is often the best source.

upload_2020-8-1_8-27-1.png

But even Fender schematics have occasional 'mistakes' -- usually things that changed on the shop floor after the drawing was printed...

_Steve, Junior Little and tubegeek like this.
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Had the same problem while servicing a 66 Super Reverb not long ago. Amp had been worked on by a professional hack, me being just an amateur hack I put the bias cap in the same way the pro hack did, backasswords!
    Same results bias would only go to maybe -10, so I start poking around checking voltages and finally see the problem. It wrecked the new 100uf-100v F&T cap but it didn't explode anyway.

King Fan likes this.
  10. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Yeh, for sure, it's way easy to do. Nothing more dangerous than feeling confident that the guy who drew it / did it knew what he was doing.

Steve, I was wondering if you'd damaged the cap -- or cap can? But I'm guessing the cap can isn't in the actual bias circuit?

11. _Steve

_Steve TDPRI Member

Yeah the cap can was just the nearest value I had to replicate it out of the amp. The axial 25u one in the circuit seems to be OK. I just reversed it in the circuit, checked the bias voltage and did a quick fire up and sound check before I had to quit for the day. I'll double check both caps properly on Monday morning when 'family time' is over ;)

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.