1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with Behringer Bellbabe BH01 mod

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Kriticaster, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Hey Tele peeps!
    I'm a new owner of the Hellbabe Wah... I got it cheap with the intention of doing the various mods to get it working optimally...

So far have worked on the cutout for the optical sensor (good improvement, but a bit further to go yet) and chopped the rubber feet under the toe end of the pedal to get more range (goes further now!)

But I'm not liking the tone-suck...

I'm not up for doing much electronically, as soldering isn't my strong suit...

I've been reading up on the Freestompboxes.org thread on the Hellbabe mods

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=1889&start=40

On page three there is a post by xfree

"We know that the out/bypass loss a lot of tone

what I did to compensate I put a 100pf capacitor parallel to the output jack"

I want to do this, as it sounds easy, easily reversible, and appropriate for my skill level... I probably have a 100pf cap somewhere too...

I would ask on that thread but it's years old, and nobody likes a zombie...

Basically I don't understand how to put a cap in parallel to the output jack...

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Here is the schematic and a gut shot for ya...

[​IMG]

What does 'Parallel to the output jack' look like on this?? And how??

[​IMG]

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You're soldering it between the tip and sleeve connectors. Think of the capacitor as a piece of wire, you're 'shorting' it out.

Get a cable, insert it into the socket and buzz between the tip and the solder points on the PCB until you get continuity. Do the same for the sleeve. Solder your capacitor across those two pads.

I don't notice any tone suck with mine, and mine is unmodified. I have mine as the third pedal in a short chain. Compressor ( not true bypass ), tuner ( true bypass, so not worth bothering about ) then the Hellbabe, then everything else. Maybe the buffer and/or mere presence of the compressor in front helps?

Kriticaster likes this.
  3. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Hi @VintageSG, always coming to my rescue!

Thanks for the advice! This makes sense :)

To be honest I've only had it since yesterday and it's in front of some other new pedals: Mosky silver horse (new) > Ammoon American sound (new) > Amoon Pockverb (delay/reverb... horrible name, but whatever) > Ammoon stereo looper...

And all of that goes into an ART preamp and then into desktop speakers or headphones...

I'm still getting to grips with the AS and SH, but the Wah just seems to cut out the sound/tone when it turns off... Even running straight into the AS with no other pedals... Perhaps I need to tweak the knobs more first...

But I figure that this is a pretty simple and reversible mod that won't take too long... Especially thanks to your help, I now know what the heck I'm doing!

I'll play more when I have time, and see if the mod is needed...

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There's a delay control you can tweak. When you remove your foot from the treadle, it deactivates the wah. Treadle fully back is off. A short delay is built in so your sound isn't flicking between bassy and un-wah'd when you do wild, wide sweeps. I seem to remember mine was set to a ridiculous value when I got it, and I played with it until it turns off in a matter of around 1/4 second.

In terms of pedal ordering, make the American Sound last in the chain. It's an amp sim pedal. It won't make -much- difference, but imagine it as your actual amplifier, and your amp doesn't have an FX loop, now pedal order accordingly. Reverb after it can sound quite good.

Looper or reverb just before the AS. I'd be tempted loop --> reverb as conflicting reverb tails from a loop will drive you bonkers. I don't know if the Silver Horse is a bypass or buffered pedal. Try having that first, then the wah. Some people like the resultant sound, some think it's an affront to sonic dignity. Play with the 'Q' control on the wah too. It's a fun wah, and very useful for me as I struggle to activate/deactivate a traditional wah when seated.

As to the American Sound. I wish I'd bought mine earlier!. I set my amp to crispy clean, and when the AS is engaged, I've got it set to sound like my Champ with the volume around 3/4 up. Not much louder, but oh boy, what a wonderful sound. Put some time into it and you'll see why so many folk on here rate them quite highly.

Kriticaster likes this.
  5. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Nice one @VintageSG :)
    This all makes sense!

Though I was imagining the reverb/delay as ‘in the loop’ of the amp and the others before the amp...

But I hadn’t tried the silver horse before the Wah... that could be quite good!

I have the looper at the very end now but have played with it at the very front and then tweaking the reverb/delay to get some fun effects... not so much playing the guitar anymore thou... but quite fun! Will try it mid-sequence thou and see how that works...

I’ve got an hour of work left for today then I should get some noodle time!

I do like the more ‘notched’ optical mod I did, gets the wah activating quicker, but I’d like to do a wee bit more on it, for a longer range...

I generally like the Wah, so just trying to get it to perfection!

6. xfree

xfree NEW MEMBER!

I was indeed resurrected like a zombie with this thread as I recently re -purchases a hellbabe days ago. Yes I wrote that suggestions with a youtube video demo I made several years ago. Click and subscribe in my you tube videos for modification and demos of pedals and guitars.

parallel connecting of a capacitor is done like this

(+) tip
    |
    100pf cap
    |
    (-) sleeve

this is the very basic drawing I can make hope you see the analogy

thanks for bringing this up again
    Godbless

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Kriticaster likes this.
  7. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Hey @xfree, I appreciate the resurrection, as I recently started/continued the modding of my hell babe and STILL find that it tone sucks like a {insert inappropriate comment here}.
    I had done the 100pf cap mod but ripped it out as it sounded like it introduced buzz to the circuit, but I may put it back in again to check... I didn't have exactly 100pf caps, so put several in series but perhaps I got the value wrong...
    It's a good wah but I'm not happy with what it does to my tone in bypass mode...

I'm going to subscribe to your youtube!

8. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

@xfree I can't find a link to your youtube, can you post it or DM me?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.