Help with amp settings please!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chritty, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been on a quest lately to find out about “sweet spots” in the EQ section of an amplifier. I’d love to get your input into some of the reading that I’ve come across.

Does this explain a tone stack well? http://pickroar.com/1003/the-tone-stack-explained-in-english-for-humans/

Has anyone tried this method for seeking out sweet spots?
    https://tonesmiths.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/the-secret-to-quickly-dial-in-a-tube-amplifier/

And if anyone could be bothered scrolling down, there’s a description of Steve Kimock’s method halfway down this page.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/setting-up-your-amp.1824131/page-3

I really would be grateful for your experienced input into this. Thanks

ETA: current amp is a Hughes And Kettner GrandMeister 36

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Well, I was pleased to find out I’m “adorable...” ;)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Say what now?

4. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

My method, is to start with all the EQ at 12 noon, and then find out where the power section likes to lend it's magic, by turning volume/master to where the amp responds the best to my touch.

Then I turn all the EQ "off" and roll in each, one at a time Bass, mid, treble, to the point where it has the greatest impact on the sound, but not past that point...because normally after a certain point in a pots rotation it begins to not have much of an effect...

Start with everything "off" and roll up until it stops changing the sound, and do not go past that point.

That's what has always worked for me.

Once you try this, you will see what I mean.

Each amplifier has it's preferred "range" and it will let you know where it's at by adjusting one at a time, very slowly...

5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

There's a lot of different tone stacks out there. Some offer very little range of adjustment. Others allow you to destroy your tone completely. Four factors that are sometimes forgotten include: The input signal, the listening volume (which makes a huge difference in how you set EQ), and the gain structure (input gain, preamp gain, power amp gain), and controls interactivity all help determine what sounds good and what doesn't.

For an amp, try to learn how the tone controls were designed to work. You may learn a lot. (for example, if you have gain high on a Boogie Mark amp, you may want bass as low as 0).

2 Headed Goat, Chritty and Thin69 like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

For a long time I did not appreciate the interaction between the amp controls and the guitar controls especially guitars that have two each of pickups, tone and volume controls. It is only after coming to an understanding of how all of the controls affect each other that I am just now beginning to understand how to achieve a tone that is right for me.

Chritty likes this.
  7. WetBandit

I played for years thinking everything on the guitar needed to be on 10 all the time...

Boy, was I WRONG!

Toto'sDad, stardawg77 and Chritty like this.
  8. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

I’ve given this a go a few times.

My problem is I don’t think I know what I’m listening for. I like other people’s tones but always am disappointed in my own ability to set a good tone.

In regards to the two examples of setting up pots by only listening to the white noise I posted in the OP I think I’d feel more confident because I don’t have to play anything and listen for deficiencies.

9. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

What do you think is the best way to find out how the controls were meant to work? Schematics?

I’m currently using a Hughes and Kettner GrandMeister 36

10. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

I’ve found schematics for the tone stack of my amp. How does it appear to work to you guys? IMG_9123.JPG

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is how I would go about learning an amp....if I did not already understand how that particular amp works. As noted above, different circuit topographies act differently even if the structure of the tone stack is identical but the placement in the signal chain is not the same. We don’t know what amp you have there, so we cannot give specifics thoughts on whatever the mysterious amp you have...
    All guitar controls at max. If there is a MV on the amp, max it. Preamp gain at somewhere around halfway. Tones on the amp at halfway. What do you hear...don’t beat on the strings....(;^)
    Find some tone settings that please you for what you want. Then, if you want more preamp gain, turn that control up. What happens....does the signal start to over-distort...go to pieces in the preamp. This will happen with the AB763 BF topography when you push preamp gain. Turn the tones...especially the bass...down to manage that overly distorted aignal. An amp based in the 5F6A topography.....tweed Bassman, the good Marshall’s, Blues/Hot Rods and many others...can run the tone controls anywhere on the dial at any preamp gain level due to there placement farther down the signal chain...after the gain stages.
    Other amps have their own circuits and act certain ways, but the thought is the same....start with “non drastic” settings and come to understand what the amp does. After you get a grip on that, then find out what your guitar controls do to the amp. I subscribe to B.B. King’s thought I read in an article in GP back in the ‘70’s that the guitar should be at max output to set the amp up...and then one runs the show from the guitar.

thegeezer and Chritty like this.
  12. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

Have you considered using a graphic EQ? I could never really find amp settings I liked until I got an MXR 10 band and put it after my gain but before delay, reverb etc. It has helped me be able to get pretty much any sound I want out of any amp.

Chritty likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's not a "normal" amp. Lots of controls and settings. Lots of places to go wrong. I bet the different "voices" all are EQd differently. If you are not very confident in what tone you want, and how to get it, that amp is a rabbit hole.

Also, are you trying to get good tones at home volumes from it? I bet that would be difficult. It's a loud amp and loud amps sound best loud.

Maybe try a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb at a store. Volume at 3+ (which will be loudish). EQ at noon. Reverb 2-3. You'll get a nice base tone. Too dark? Back off the Bass. Still too dark, increase the Treble. Too bright with everything at noon, back off the treble. Good audio tip (which often works with amps) is "subtract EQ before adding EQ". Doesn't work with all tone stacks.

But if you don't know what you are hearing or what you want to hear, it may be tough to get a good sound. Also recall that how you touch the instrument matters (a lot) for the tone you get out of it.

I'm sorry - the methods you posted are rubbish. Completely. That won't help you at all.

LeicaBoss, Chritty and Ben-Zion like this.
  14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

deleted

15. Wally

Apologies for missing the ETA amp description. I might have decided to keep on scrolling down the forum had I noticed that. Digital??? Programmable?... i don’t delve into that. I might still hold that the approach I outline above would have some validity...especially in the Clean mode...with as little digital interference as possible.

Chritty likes this.
  16. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

i've used the tonesmith's wordpress link for several years. I've found it helpful for SS or tube amps. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but to my ears it's a very clear and articulate tone, especially for lead work.

Chritty likes this.
  17. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

It is an all tube amp. It’s not a modeling amp. The digital side of things come from the midi switching and effects.

Wally likes this.
  18. Wally

All tube means that there is no signal processing in any domain other than the tube domain. It is a guarantee that that amp processes signal in the digital domain...which is solid state...meaning not tube.
    That said, if one can avoid processing signal with those digital effects, then bypass all of that and see what you find there.

Chritty likes this.
  19. WetBandit

I base all of this on an open chord...usually an Emajor.....because you know... rock n roll!

stardawg77 and Chritty like this.
  20. Wally

Well, how often are you going to find a listening audience for just white noise???? (;^)..... we have to be able to adjust our machines for what our own ears want to hear....we are the ‘deciders’ because we are the ones who have to play the music by using our ears.

WetBandit likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.