Help with adjusting length of guitar strap.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Help. I'm going through the most horrific time coordinating my hands with my vision. I can get in the zone while playing, but if I stop and think about what I'm doing, sometimes I'm floating in space.

The current problem I'm having is adjusting the guitar strap to my desired length. There are a ton of videos on this, but they go by way too fast. I'm floating in space and can't get my bearings. If I make an adjustment, then stop to see how it fits, I can't remember how to do it again. My reflexes are shot, I'm seeing in double vision, can't rely on muscle memory, and can't recall what I said or did two seconds ago. I'm using an old fashioned strap, like the Aces of my youth.

I hate videos but can follow step-by-step instructions with illustrations.

I'm dealing with partial paralysis, rheumatoid arthritis, loss of balance. I can handle all this, but having memory problems now. After tongue cancer surgery in May, my wife says I looked 10-20 years older. I'd like to record some blues guitar solos as what may be my final work. (If I can stop falling so much.)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help on adjusting the length of my guitar strap. I'm using a plain strap, two-button Ace type.

aces

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Is it one of the ones with a sliding buckle like this? (Taken from a Reverb listing for vintage Ace straps.)
yuia7zzaj6lmanmt1w8o.jpg

You just need to take the weight of the guitar off it and move the buckle if so — towards the end where the strap is doubled back to make it longer, away to make it shorter.
Maybe you can get your wife to help - get the strap too long, then if you hold the guitar where you want she can adjust the buckle till the slack is taken out & you’ll be set.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
This exactly what I needed. Got it done just now. Thank you so much!

I'm getting hung up on simplest things. My solution is to walk into a room and do it. If I get hung up, I go through a bit of distraction, then walk into the room again.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
Great that you got it sorted out! I was gonna suggest playing seated. It's much less distracting, and pretty much zero chance of falling over. I've been playing seated so long that it feels awkward standing.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I feel your pain ....I am no help. Ask your wife for help. I bet she can figure it out.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hang in, Larry!
One of my recent struggles with strap length is my vision.
It's getting hard to find the sweet spot.
Do I go lower with lenses or higher without.
This old age stuff...
Peace, amigo.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
The current problem I'm having is adjusting the guitar strap to my desired length.
I use cheap nylon ones ( $3) set 'em up correctly them leave them on the guitar- that way you can grab a guitar ( I use 5 ata gig, and you're good to go every time. The importance is to leave them correctly on each guitar. Works for me.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Anyone remember Ace straps? They practically owned the market in the late 60s. I guess leather straps became number one. I remember that carved leather straps were initially more popular with country players. Maybe that's still the case? It's funny how different conventions are associated with particular groups. I guess that's the definition of the word "convention."

Hey, any clear plastic ones?

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Glad you got it solved!

It's an odd problem. Most of us just adjust them once and leave them alone, one strap per guitar.

I went to see Tom Rush a few years ago, and he just had one strap, which he kept over his shoulder whenever he switched guitars. Economical, but I couldn't do it!

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
Help. I'm going through the most horrific time coordinating my hands with my vision. I can get in the zone while playing, but if I stop and think about what I'm doing, sometimes I'm floating in space.

The current problem I'm having is adjusting the guitar strap to my desired length. There are a ton of videos on this, but they go by way too fast. I'm floating in space and can't get my bearings. If I make an adjustment, then stop to see how it fits, I can't remember how to do it again. My reflexes are shot, I'm seeing in double vision, can't rely on muscle memory, and can't recall what I said or did two seconds ago. I'm using an old fashioned strap, like the Aces of my youth.

I hate videos but can follow step-by-step instructions with illustrations.

I'm dealing with partial paralysis, rheumatoid arthritis, loss of balance. I can handle all this, but having memory problems now. After tongue cancer surgery in May, my wife says I looked 10-20 years older. I'd like to record some blues guitar solos as what may be my final work. (If I can stop falling so much.)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help on adjusting the length of my guitar strap. I'm using a plain strap, two-button Ace type.

aces
Have your wife adjust it until its where you want it, and then mark it somehow there that adjustment point is. Sounds to me like you should consider playing guitar sitting down from now on.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I'm sorry to say that at home I play sitting down, with a strap. My health problems cause guitars in my lap to slide around. I'd rather play standing up, but balance problems make that risky.

My first strap was a dyed brown piece of a bedsheet. Now, where did I leave that?

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I use cheap nylon ones ( $3) set 'em up correctly them leave them on the guitar- that way you can grab a guitar ( I use 5 ata gig, and you're good to go every time. The importance is to leave them correctly on each guitar. Works for me.
I use Levy's Made-in-Canada webbed straps. They used to sell for $6 CAD or so at Long & McQuade. Not sure what they go for now. I have one for every guitar including a wider one for my bass guitar.

Last edited:

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm sorry to say that at home I play sitting down, with a strap. My health problems cause guitars in my lap to slide around. I'd rather play standing up, but balance problems make that risky.

My first strap was a dyed brown piece of a bedsheet. Now, where did I leave that?
In the last year or so, I've started playing more seated. I'm coming up on 73 and in need of new knees. When singing and playing though and playing my saxophone, I stand.