1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with a unique pickup setup

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by adamkavanagh, Nov 4, 2017.

1. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Well it's the age-old question of how to get a better live sound form my acoustic.

I've heard alot of grief lately about the Taylor expression systems. I cannot understand why. these pickup systems sound so natural its crazy.
    However, my main gigging guitar is a Martin 000-18

I have an LR Baggs matrix infinity in it and when the venue allows (soundwise, feedbackwise) I add a AT831R pointing at the fretboard.
    Sounds fantastic! But it looks like hell.

20170915_183517_zps0zt7zytl.jpg 20170915_183512_zps2ckhsha4.jpg
    The problems are obviouly feedback and also the pain in the ass of taping it up every day.
    It's gaffer's tape, so dont worry it doesnt harm my guitar at all.

The AT8444 would make things lot easier but still a huge pain to rig up each night.
    Oh and it's 50 DOLLARS. yeah no.
    pro70.jpg

I bought the pickup partly becasue it had the option of adding a mic here's what the manual says:
    "Second Pickup Source Option
    A second source such as a microphone or magnetic
    soundhole pickup may be added (fi gure 6). The
    output will appear on the ring connection when a
    tip-ring-sleeve 1/4” jack is inserted."

This does not work becasue condenser mics need power and the pickup will not power an add-on mic.

Has anyone tried this second picup option?

I have never run my acoustc into a dedicated preamp and im thinking I should try this also.
    What do you use for a preamp?

One last thing, I have considered coming up with a clever jack that has a stereo +1 jack. like the smartphone earphone jacks but 1/4" instead.
    that way I can run my mic and the guitar paickup with one cable. anyone heard of this before or have any tips?
    something like this? Ignore the pinout labels etc:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

I'm probably late to the party here but Photobucket just bait and switched me.
    Photos were working great and I'm just finding out that they want me to pay to enable 3rd party hosting haha
    I will fix the broken pics soon

3. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Ok all fixed up, any help would be appreciated!

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea, it does look odd, probably not great on wood day in and day out, and yes, those Taylor systems are a bunch of work and not worth it. IMHO
    For decent sound you may have to save and lay out some cash. Nice to plug and play
    and not worry about it. SD and baggs has a nice sound cover stretch one. I love the K&K minis., but, that is me.
    Red eye into mixer.

5. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Just to clarify, the tape is not my permanent solution. And it doesn't harm the wood at all.

May I ask what exactly you don't like about the expression system pickup? I have never had an issue with it.

6. uriah1

My bandmate had one..really big footprint..and a lot of tweaking..on the unit and then at mixer...
    too much work..and..the final result was not that great ..I did not think..
    Glad tape is ok..

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I play in a house band, weekly gig, where the house band opens for each guest artist. I see a lot of acoustic acts coming through.

I've heard many Taylor guitars, a number that sounded not very good and the rest sounded either fine or really good. My guess it that it may take some work and/or another person to listen to it to help make it sound good. Some folks think it's just plug and play, and that's not necessarily a good choice.

I've seen a fair number of the Red Eye boxes - they're come from a company in Austin and maybe the Austin folks around here know more about it. For the most part, everyone that I've seen using a Red Eye had a great sound - but most of them were touring professionals who really cared out their sound. I don't make any claims for their product, but the results seem to be pretty good, IMO.
    https://www.fire-eye.com/

Others that I see a lot of: L.R. Baggs DI's (usually the Venue or the Para DI) and a few Fishman rigs. These all seem to work fine, as well.

A friend of mine who is killer guitar player uses an Aguilar Tone Hammer bass preamp - it sounds great, too - one of the reasons he picked that was a blow-out deal he got on it from a friend at a music store. By coincidence I use a pre-amp DI by Ashdown - but also because I got a really good deal on it.

I see plenty of folks use a pickup system with microphones and some of them sound good, but seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

The folks who use the K&K pickups swear by them. I use an L. R. Baggs expression and it works for me, because 90% of the time, I'm using it in a band and I'm not trying to go for the ultra high-fidelity, sounds just like my acoustic dry thing. I just want it to be heard in the mix with a heavy-plucking bass player.

Good luck!

8. uriah1

+ + Red eye
    imho

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I did an experiment with my acoustic that I ended up hard wiring in.

I took a regular Strat single coil and mounted it in a thin strip of wood that I attached to the bottom lip of the sound hole to get the pickup as close to the neck as possible. Then I ran shielded cable from the pickup to the output jack strap pin I bought. Then I just plug that into the regular amp (with a pre-select setting that mimics a piezo and acoustic amp sound). Or I just rock it. Sounds a lot like a Strat when cranked up on regular amp settings.

I also experimented with a Tele where I stuck an acoustic under the saddle piezo pickup under the steel bridge about where the saddles were and ran that to a toggle switch to use regular or the acoustic pickups. Needed a small pre-amp but made the Tele sound like an acoustic.

10. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Cool idea with the piezo in the Tele!

11. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

What do you mean by footprint? It's just the pickup in the guitar, are you referring to a pedal unit?

12. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info! I have never even heard of the red eye before. I'll check out some reviews and videos on my break at work tomorrow

13. uriah1

Yea, that big box floor unit thing.

14. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Nah I'm talking about the onboard pickup system, sorry!

uriah1 likes this.
  15. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

So I got lucky and found this on Kijiji! (Canadian craigslist but far superior)
    20171107_125144.jpg
    20171107_180727.jpg
    It's still kind of bulky but we'll see if I can come up with something

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.