Help with A Telecaster build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by telebuildingnoob, May 15, 2020.

1. telebuildingnoob

telebuildingnoob TDPRI Member

Hi All!
    I've been trawling the internet for a few hours (or days, not sure - time doesn't seem to exist normally right now) and I can't find the answers I'm looking for so hope someone here can help.
    As the title suggests, I'm trying a Telecaster build. I've never owned a Tele before and my wife bought it for me last year as a birthday present. It started off as one of those 'everything included' kits and it's gradually changed to the point I've replaced a lot.
    I'm at the stage where I've painted, finished and prepped everything and just about to put it together. Here's where I'm stuck.
    I have 4 Main questions:
    1: The wiring on my pots/switch seems to have an extra wire from every diagram I've seen. Is it safe to just cut? Is it the white one? Why is it there?
    2: I've bought a Tonerider humbucker for the neck pickup as I don't want a scratchplate. This might seem really obvious but how do you attach it to the body? The screws it came with are flat (to adjust height) but nothing to attach it to the wood. Is that something the pickup frame mounts will hold in place (when they arrive)
    3: I've read a lot about 'shielding' the chambers. Is this necessary? Also, is 'earthing' necessary?
    4: The neck sits REALLY high. That's not right is it? It's got the same hand written number on it the guitar body has so I figured there must be some kind of quality control and it's maybe supposed to be like this?

I've attached pics and will try to answer any questions but I'm honestly a total noob at this (sorry if any of the answers to my questions are super obvious)

Anyone who can help, or even any pointers at all I would be very grateful for. IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0892.JPG

Thanks so much in advance!

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

You will mount the humbucker to the pickup rings. Yes, it needs earthed, that's what one of the red wires is for, it runs to under the bridgeplate to earth. White wire and other red one go to the output jack. Neck height looks fine. Check this wiring diagram against yours.

[​IMG]

telebuildingnoob likes this.
  3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

This is all great advice. Here is a picture of a humbucker mounting ring. They make flat ones and slanted/angled ones for a les paul. You want a flat one with a very low profile (low height).
    humbucker_mounting_ring_10mm_flat_ivory_hpf-02-tcr.jpg

4. telebuildingnoob

Thanks! That makes much more sense! I hadn't found a diagram with the extra line/ground wire coming off it so wasn't sure. So the extra wire runs back through the hole connecting the pickups to the pots and I solder it to the underside of the bridge plate (if I'm understanding that correctly?) Does it matter whereabouts on the bridge or just as long as it's touching?

5. telebuildingnoob

Thanks! I've got a one on order which is completely flat (or as close as - not like the pickup holders which stick up) so hopefully it'll do the trick.

6. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The wire doesn't need soldered to the bridge plate just make sure to strip the wire about 1/4" and just run it under the bridge plate so you can smash it between the body and the bottom of the bridge plate. That will ground the bridge plate just fine.

howardlo and telebuildingnoob like this.
  7. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I normally strip about an inch off the end of the ground wire and push the tip down one of the screw holes for fixing the bridge, guaranteed good contact that way, possibly unneccessary but makes me happy. Where exactly in Scotland are you?

8. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Scott and Dan are dead on killing it on the advice!

Great first build work! Love the color. Thanks for sharing.

Eric

9. telebuildingnoob

Great! Less soldering for me. I'm looking forward to trying it but it's not exactly something I've done a lot of since making variable resistors in school somewhat several lifetimes ago...

10. telebuildingnoob

I'm in Paisley (not originally from here but been living here since 2005) Love Scotland, wouldn't move back to England for any amount of money in the world (but I'd possibly move to Canada, something about rugged terrains and big hills to climb)

11. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Your neck actually looks to be sitting just about right in relation to the body, at least from here it looks that way :).

Standard Tele geometry uses a neck at ~ 1" thick. Measure the neck at the heel end at the center or crown of the radius. That's to the top of the wood, not to the top of the last fret.

The standard depth for the neck pocket is 5/8" deep.

Or another way to look at it, if your neck projects up about 3/8" above the body at the heel end, you should be in the ballpark.

These dimensions assume you are using a standard Tele bridge.

A better method to check the geometry (relationship of neck to the bridge) is to lower your saddles down flat on the bridge, and then lay a straightedge along the neck on top of the frets and project it out to top of your bridge saddles.

If the straightedge planes out even with the top of the lowered saddles or just slightly above, you should be in good shape and the guitar should set up relatively easily :).

It's worth mentioning that you need a really straight straightedge to do this check, but in a pinch, if you've got a good eye and a deft touch, you could use a tightly pulled line or string to do the same test.

edit: Another easy way to ground your bridge is to solder an eyelet to the end of your ground wire and slip that eyelet over anyone of the three attachment screws of the bridge pickup.

This is done underneath the bridge with the eyelet getting sandwiched between the pickup baseplate and the bottom of the bridge along with whatever you use to provide adjustment tension - a spring or surgical tubing.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  12. telebuildingnoob

Thanks! I just thought It's such a big gap there must be something wrong. Part of me is just worried how much dust is going to collect under it...

howardlo likes this.
  13. jhiatt1

jhiatt1 TDPRI Member

I would shiels just for the extra protection. As for your stuff that was included I do not know about the wiring. I have a solo tele kit I just completed and modded just about everything.

Here is a list of my mods.

Fender roller nut
    Wilkinson 3 saddle compensated bridge with brass saddles
    Tuning machines from a Fender Starcaster
    Fender American Standard 3 way switch
    Fender American Standard jack
    Fender vintage 1meg tone pot
    Fender vintage 1meg volume pot
    DiMarzio True Velvet bridge pickup
    GFS vintage 52 neck pickup
    All cavaties are shielded with copper tape
    Vintage wax coated push back wiring
    Hand wired in the vintage 53 telecaster style
    Treble bleed circuit
    Fender Greasebucket circuit from a Highway 1 Telecaster
    String trees are in non conventional locations
    And finally, I aged and distressed everything by hand.

Of course this is just me but I wanted my build to be something completely unique. But what you do with is is up to you. But I say make it fit your personality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.