1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help With 6G3 Faceplate

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Cfidave, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Cfidave

Cfidave TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hi all, just finished a 6G3 build. Not a kit, however I did get the front and back faceplates from Mojotone. As you can see on the far right where it normally says " Deluxe Amp", mine is blank. I am looking for some ideas on how to get "Deluxe Amp" in white letters printed or decaled in that spot. My printer will not print white, and a stencil would be a bear to cut out. Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW, this amp is totally silent with nothing plugged in and volume turned up a bit. I honestly did not think it was working until I hit a chord. I think I got really lucky on this one. ChasC.jpg ChasE.jpg

trancedental and Engine Swap like this.
  2. Cruisin Home

Cruisin Home Tele-Meister

try this place: https://www.precisiondesignin.com/

I have had nameplates made by Sandy and they look amazing. very reasonable and quick turn.

You made your own luck, your workmanship is immaculate! good job

King Fan and FenderLover like this.
  3. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been in this spot before - few times... you can get decal paper in white or you can make it silver if you wished. But I've not really had great success with it. I put them on then lacquered over it a few times. They stayed on, but I'm not so good with that sort of craft anyway. If you scour about the web and on this site, you'll find folks that have done it pretty well -
    Mojotone will make you a faceplate too if you wish. A good print shop may be of value for you to visit.

King Fan likes this.
  4. Cfidave

Thanks guys. I tried white decal paper and tried to match the faceplate brown with the back gound of the decal, leaving white letters and a brown background. Nearly impossible to match the brown so that it doesn't
    look off.

5. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

Back in the day before PCs a lot of presentation materials were made with rub on letters from a company called Letraset. The were basically transfers that you would position and then rub over the letter to transfer. My recollection is they were much more durable than decals. They did come in white. I just did a quick google search and it looks like they are available very scarcely as leftovers. However, it looks like folks on Etsy will provide rub on transfers in your choice of color, font, etc. They were promoting them as an alternative to waterslide decals for headstocks. Might be worth a look.

Les Gear, RodeoTex and King Fan like this.
  6. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

Great looking build by the way.

7. Cfidave

Thanks much, I will check them out.

8. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey - just had a great idea - For my boat i used these guys and it was terrific.. not sure why i didn't think of this for my last one...
    https://www.signs.com/vinyl-lettering/

they all come with two sided tape so it's easy to put on and use a spatula to rub through it - perhaps give that a whirl

FenderLover likes this.
  9. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

That is a really sano build. Nice.

My idea will be the least practical, hardest, most expensive, etc. I add it for completeness, not usefulness. Ignore early and often. :)

But IIRC Mojo brown faceplates are a paler, cafe au lait brown compared to Fender's black-coffee brown. So for perfection, we could go the route my grandmother had in mind when she said, "Why be difficult when with so little effort you could be impossible?"

You'd need to find a laser-cut shop who'd make you a complete metal or thin-plastic faceplate. These shops aren't rare, but also aren't that easy to find; some are occasionally discussed in faceplate threads here. Then you'd need to have the exact dimensions for a 6G3 faceplate and graphics layout in a graphics file. (Tricky, but some shops might be able to scan your Mojo plate to get those). Then you'd need a nice graphics render of the 'Deluxe' logo in the Fender font (failing that, standard Brush Script set at the right angle doesn't look terrible). And finally, for reasons of builder's pride, ethics, and law, most people suggest you customize the small print below the logo to make sure no one can mistake it for an original -- something like "Dave Electr. Instr. Elmira NY."

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Sometimes the repro faceplates turn up on eBait. Right now I only see blackface Deluxe-Amp ones there, but the same guy occasionally lets brown ones out into the wild.

Can't imagine there's a big demand for blackface non-reverb Deluxe-Amp faceplates, since there's no repro chassis that it fits. Perfectly fine amp, I've got a '63 that I love, but you don't see people building clones of that one.

11. Cfidave

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    King Fan, FenderLover and Paul-T like this.
  12. Cfidave

Chasbot.jpg ChasC.jpg ChasD.jpg A couple more shots of the amp chassis, for those interested.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  13. Cruisin Home

Cruisin Home Tele-Meister

I thought Sandy would do good job for you! She’s good fast and reasonable. Can’t wait to see finished product!

you gotta have the looks to go either the Tone!!

14. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Late to the party. FWIW I head out in a different direction -- instead of guitar-amp graphics I buy automotive badges off of EBay for cheap. There are a zillion options and every once in a while somebody giggles when they see my amps.

Brand by Audi, model by Ford:

[​IMG]

Brand by Audi, model by Chevy IMR:

[​IMG]

guspac88, lavrgs and drneilmb like this.
  15. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm a little behind the eightball here, but I've decided to undergo my own 6G3 build and find myself in the same boat. Do you have any pictures you can post of Sandy's final product? Did you get a new faceplate entirely or just a decal for the Mojotone one?

16. guspac88

guspac88 Tele-Meister

If you're just looking for something cheap, a vinyl does the job. Shouldn't be more than $5 for someone to cut it and stick it in an envelope if you give them the file. I can do it if you want. Also vinyl will look the closest to the real thing imo unless you laser engrave a whole plate. You can't really laser an existing plate because they're usually PVC which is toxic to laser, but I have a panel from Weber and I think those are lasered.

17. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thanks for the input. I didn’t even think of that option. Would you recommend a little lacquer on top to protect it?

I’m going to do separate 4 and 8 ohm outputs, so I’ll need some sort of appropriate labeling for the rear panel as well. I’m piecemealing the build and haven’t bought the faceplates yet. So if the Precision Design route is reasonable/feasible I’m not opposed to spending a bit more on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.