Help with 2009 Epi Guitar and refinish.

jadedsoul

Tele-Holic
Hi guys.. Iv read a few threads and nowt has really gave me the answer to my specific questions. So ill elaborate.
I have a Epi Lp i bought to fix and sell to let me build my Andy summers Tele. Now it had a broken headstock. iv fixed that but in the process, iv sanded most of the poly of the neck. Now i cant just re stain and 2k clear it as i had to add in new wood patch and some spots of darker wood filler so traz stains are out of the window.
so my next quest is to re paint the back and neck together, in a totally opaque way like black but i want to do it in a satin mahogany brown color. The front is a red burst btw.
The body looks fine and is clear poly over stained wood with grain. but the neck is in a land of its own so i could just paint the neck opaque and hope it matches the body or play it safe and paint the body back and the neck back all 1 color. I was thinking to do it black and re burst the front with black but blacks a pain to keep clean and dust free.
So like i said I'm gona go a mahog brown with a satin clear coat.. Now the questions.
Remember im in the uk guys. Is acrylic paint ok to paint over the poly. The car shop only sells acrylic in spray cans. Do i need to scuff up the poly on the back of the body, primer both body and neck, and smooth and fill re primer to perfection. Then spray my color let it dry then spray my clear.
Now i can get nitro clear and i can get car 2 pac clear 2 parts in 1 can.. Also known as 2k.
So what route do you guys think i should go to get this neck finished. leave the body as is and just paint the neck opaque. will it not look odd with the body showing the grain and the neck not ? Or should i paint the body and neck all one color like i said, will nitro color be ok to use i can get a nice wine red to go over the body and neck, its opaque nitro but what primer do i use for nitro and will nitro be ok over the poly finish. Do i need to prime the poly or can i just spray the opaque nitro straight over the scuffed up poly ?

Have i got you confused yet ? I'm guessing you kind of got the idea.. acrilyc ok ? then 2k clear or Nitro ? which way would you do it. just the neck or the body back to the binding and the neck ? well i hope you guys can understand my dyslexic ass.
Just want to get it finished and buy what i need to get the job done now while i got the money. its goes quick in this house. Then sell the Epi and start on my Andy summer double bound tele is it a 52 ? with brass bridge and 6 saddles. BTW Anybody know where i can get brass bridge and saddles. Some guy on my FB Group is trying to sell 6 saddles in brass for 60 dollars. jee wizz..way way overpriced for little old me.
well, thanks, fellas and i hope you can help me out. there has got to be people who have been here where i am now.
Im not willing to remove all finish and start again as well im just not gona do it lol .. iv put in enough work already. New headstock & new headstock faceplate re decaled and cleared. So..here we are :) Cheers chaps.. have a good day out there.

GigsbyBoyUK

Friend of Leo's
I'd do it all black. Can't imagine a paint trying to look like mahogany will look good. Don't imagine you will get much for the guitar when done as there are loads of mint Epi Les Pauls around for 200 quid and a repaired one with a rattle can refinish may be hard to shift.

Silverface

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
The car shop only sells acrylic in spray cans.

You first want to check that again, as it may very well be "acrylic lacquer" - which could be the exact same thing as the "nitro" lacquer you buy, as 99% of the "nitro" available to the public is a nitro/acrylic blend - and has been since the 1920's. Pure "nitro" is *extremely* brittle.

But regardless, if the "acrylic" is a solvent-type lacquer you can use another solvent-type lacquer over it - and some acrylics can be topcoated with lacquers as well as long as they are applied correctly.

Now i can get nitro clear

see above...

jadedsoul

Tele-Holic
Dude i can finish with rattle cans pretty ok...This is all hand built and this is acrylic car paint and 2k clear... 3 years old and still looks mint...when iv done you will not be able to tell its been finished. Unless your a uber epi head who knows the score. i got the lp for 20 quid so and it was brand new just bust headstock but thats fixed..its solid now. so its just a matter of deciding what colour to do it... or to do the back and neck or just the neck. i could re burst it all black like the old black bursts.
22528202_10155861342514343_4376441871145026771_n.jpg

22519591_10155861360414343_1679605645232185875_n.jpg

Last edited:

jadedsoul

Tele-Holic
Here is a totally new faceplate.. All remade as i had to remove the old one as it was snapped in half.. all decal and clear.. The black is a perm sharpie lol
22528404_2031623513740746_8690769585768990479_n.jpg

22489745_2031622307074200_6544335324787947544_n.jpg