Help with 1963 The Haunting: can you find the deleted scene?

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
i post this because i don't seem to be good at finding obscure things on the internet and there might be someone here who is a wizard at it...

My favorite horror movie is Robert Wise's 1963 version of The Haunting. i find certain depths to the film beyond the spooky parts. it deals with the corrosion of guilt and the dangers thereof.

people who are really into this film know that there was a scene that was filmed but not used. the scene is Theo having a nasty argument with her girlfriend. the girlfriend leaves, Theo breaks some glass, then writes "i hate you" on a mirror in lipstick. the whole scene probably isn't 2 minutes long. Robert Wise didn't use it in the finished film because he didn't think it fit right.

none of the DVD's you can buy have this deleted scene and i think it was supposed lost - but i know it isn't lost because i watched it on some website 3 or 4 months ago. the problem is i don't know where i saw it and i can't find it again. there is a site dedicated to the movie -something like TheHaunting.com - and that site has 2 stills from the scene. but not the scene nor any link to it.

so, is there anybody here who knows a way to find it? i've tried all the obvious search terms but it doesn't come to me.

none

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the tip. On the surface, it reminds me of the Dark Shadows (1966-1971) mansion.

1669595092599.png

Maybe this will help?

vlcsnap-2022-11-27-20h54m34s341.png

Last edited:

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Maybe it is worth investing in the Blu-ray?

1669645785641.png

You may have better luck in the visual arts section of Steve Hoffman's forum.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It's one of my favourite scary films too, but it's not a horror film. It's barely even a ghost story, more of a psychological thriller.

It's incredibly well made though.

well, actually it is a horror film. it's about a monster that devours an innocent victim, which i think qualifies as "horror".