Help! Witch 1982 52RI should I buy?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AustinCityLimits, Mar 13, 2019.

Witch 52RI Telecaster should I buy

1. 1982 MIJ Squier - $1100

2. 1982 Fullerton - $1,500

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AustinCityLimits

AustinCityLimits TDPRI Member

He isn't having a hard time, he is just getting married. His fiance thinks the guitar stuff is childish. :lol:

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you made up your mind & I think you made the right decision. For future reference, though, you might want to keep in mind that asking prices on Reverb or Ebay are not a reliable way of assessing value. People ask for the skies on a who-knows-some-idiot-might-pay-that basis. A "completed items" search on Ebay will tell you what things actually sold for & if they sold at all. There's probably a way to do this on Reverb, too, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, caveat emptor, and enjoy your new tele.

3. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Truthfully - it's Your money - but, I'd much rather have a Classic Vibe in Butterscotch with a modern radius instead of the Bend Killing 7.25" and the shippy "vintage frets." I'd leave those both for the cork sniffers and ease into the CV...but that's me.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Blue Book of Guitar Values will give you a general idea. You don't have to buy the whole book. You can by info on single models for $3, Here is the link:

https://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/...AGE_52_TELECASTER_US_MFG_NO_010_0202_010_1303

Keep in mind that any estimate of value is a really just a snapshot in time. These numbers won't be definitive due to variations across time and geography. But, it should at least provide you with a "sanity check" for any given price.

5. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Whipped..

thegeezer and Andy Summers like this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

She is delusional.

In our family, we simply "long-term-loan" such stuff to one another. We understand that circumstances change and that your "toys" never really leave the family. When the planets re-align, we can request them back. There's an unspoken age rule: after X years, the item becomes the holders property. We've made it work for 50+ yrs.

Miz Diane's brother and his wife do not seem to get this. When they had much-loved stuff they could no longer keep due to circumstances, they offered them to us...at retail and got their noses out of joint because we wouldn't buy.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup...wrong woman.
    I wonder what she has that's childish.
    My money's on clothing and accessories.

AlbertaGriff and Andy Summers like this.
  8. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

Depends, I'm thinking this is MIJ for that price and being that it's 1982?

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This is very true!
    There are some VERY nice Squiers from those years, but I doubt any of them are $1100 nice.

10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

It's WHICH, not WITCH....:rolleyes:

Deathray likes this.
  11. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Forget you...I’m concerned for your brother. ;)

I don’t know jack about either of these guitars, so I am of no help. Accept I didn’t know there was ever a Squier that was with 1100.00. My breaks went on at the getting married and selling off ALL his gear, part.

Lol...In all seriousness, a I hope he’s selling everything for a good reason. It is, of course, no business of mine

Edit:

Just read his soon to be Mrs. thinks the guitars are childish? Is that for real?

AfroBill and t guitar floyd like this.
  12. stratwilly

stratwilly Tele-Meister

I haven't played a Fullerton RI but I played (and own) some JV Squiers and JV Fender guitars of that time.
    Some years ago, the first run Export-Squier series was a kind of insider "big bang for your buck" tip here in Europe.
    All Export JV Squiers and all the higher grade Japan domestic modes that I had in my hands where at least good, - some are excellent, - but as always, a guitar is a question of personal preferences, and wood is involved.
    Just my two cents:
    Buy the one that you like more, that feels better. The guitar that feels better let you play better, - thus it sounds better. If you feel better with a 7ender decal, - then buy this one... Nobody knows how the prices develop in the next 10 years.

Btw.
    As far as I know, - these early models have the same Fullerton PUs like the USA RI of that time.
    Just do a quick research for "JV Squier"... (the JV was the serial prefix for '81-'82) and you find a lot of information. I would not sell my JV for less 1000€ (aprox.1100$).
    Btw. Because these JV models are sought after here, - in the last years I saw some JV fakes here in Europe...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

damn women haven't got a clue, some of them lol

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

What's so great about 1982? It's just another old guitar that wasn't particularly special when it was new. It was a good value then, with its low price, and so a higher price now makes it much less of a good value.

There's no intrinsic worth in being old. Get a new guitar for that money.

I've seen people trying to get big dollars for ordinary Harmony Les Paul copies from the seventies. But those were cheap guitars back then. They should still be cheap guitars now, but the sellers seem to think that the age of the guitar somehow infused it with better sound and workmanship than when it was new.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  15. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

JV and SQ of that era were the same guitar with a different decal ... even Fender USA admitted that Japan kicked their ass on quality ... As to cash value, who knows ... If the SQ is mint, maybe thats a fair price ... As for resale, the US model will always win, IMO ...

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a friend who would leave gear at my apartment, until it was "safe" to take it home. :rolleyes:

t guitar floyd likes this.
  17. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

I'd save my money towards buying a replacement consonant, but that's just me.

LocoTex likes this.
  18. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sounds like a red flag to me!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Buy what you want, if money in the future is important , get the Fender. Both will probably be OK as player guitars, but so will a lot of, better, alternatives

It's true that the JV Squires were great compared to the late 70's Fenders, most things were, in fact
    The CV Squires are probably even better

And that's coming from someone that have owned plenty of both........ The Fender will probably always be worth more " Last of the Fullertons " and all that babble, but none of them will be a better guitar compared to what you can get for less money elsewhere....

For one, because of the 7.25 radius neck. The vintage brigade will throw up their hands in disbelief, but a flatter radius actually make guitars easier to play , and most players will have an instrument better suited to them with flatter radius

The 7.25 guys will claim its a setup issue, but the truth is a flatter radius will play even better for most people with the same setup

Some guys like the vintage radius, that's quite ok

These guitars will always be worth something...... Because of internet hype, nothing else

As a player, you can do better for less money

20. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Unless you are enamored with something vintage (and I use that term lightly), I'd look for something else like a 2012-17 AV '52 or the current AO '52 if you prefer the 9.5" radius. I am uniformed about the JV models, but $1,500 for the '52 AVRI in "moderate condition" seems like a stretch. Whatever happened to the family discount?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.