1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help Wiring Tele Select SS with S1 Switch?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by scheissami, Jun 7, 2016.

1. scheissami

scheissami TDPRI Member

Hi,

I managed to pick up a used Telecaster Select and wanted to add the S1 switch to it. All of the service diagrams that I can find on Fender's site have the Noiseless pickups so have three wires per pickup. I found this post but it is primarily about changing the stock pickups, rather than adding the S1 switch.

Anybody out there have a wiring diagram for adding the S1 Switch to a SS Telecaster with 3-way switch? (I would have thought this was super common but all of my Google sleuthing has been unrevealing)

Do I have to change the wiring for the three way switch?

Do I have to cut the existing ground wire for the neck pickup and run a new one as the link above suggested?

Any help (especially wiring diagrams) greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Erik

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Try the baja wiring diagram. You may need to solder a 3rd wire from the metal cover of the neck pickup.

You may as well put the 4 way in to get the series/parallel combos too though.

Which particular tone option are you wanting from the S1 if used with a 3 way? There are a few options.

The function of the S1 itself is described well here: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Mod_Garage_The_Fender_S_1_Switching_System

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  3. scheissami

scheissami TDPRI Member

I had seen that diagram as well, but initially wasn't too keen.

The tone benefit I was looking for was having the PUs in series as well as the standard parallel. I've never played a Baja, so don't have any direct experience with how the out of phase PUs sound. I tried the PUs in series while playing a new Elite in the shop and quite liked it, not sure if I can track down a Baja but maybe that's the way to decide if I want to add the 4-way switch. I really would prefer minimal switches, which is why I wanted to stick with the standard 3-way. I find it fairly challenging, for example, to get the switch exactly where I want it while actually playing a Strat; definitely not interested in a five-position switch!

What is the purpose of the extra wire to the neck? I thought the neck PU already has a ground?

Thanks for the help!

4. jdtoronto

jdtoronto TDPRI Member

It's a ground for the neck pickup cover. With a three-way switch one of the pickup leads goes always goes directly to ground so it can double as a ground for the cover, but with the four-way switch configuration when the pickups are in series the wire from the neck pickup that usually goes to ground instead goes into the bridge pickup, so you need to ground the cover separately.

5. scheissami

scheissami TDPRI Member

Aha, thanks.

So, if I just add the S1 switch, do I need to add the wire? With it in the down position, the pickups would then be in series, however with the design of the S1 switch I can't figure out if the grounds would be shared in both positions, obviating the need for a separate ground wire for the neck pickup.

6. Guitarteach

You can just use a 4 way and get bridge / series / parallel / neck

The stock ;aja puts the thick series sound at the end, I put neck at the end of the switch so it's so easy, error free switch at a gig from bridge to neck - no hunting.

That is what I did to mine and I ditched the S1. The out of phase sounds were very thin and I personally never used them.

7. scheissami

scheissami TDPRI Member

Is there a way to use my existing 3-way with the S1 and wire it so that the switch is for "standard" neck/parallel/bridge and the S1 is for in phase series? I ask because I've already purchased the S1 switch and I'd prefer not to have to buy other hardware if I can avoid it using what I've already got.

Thanks again for all of the help, keep the suggestions coming!

8. Guitarteach

The S1 is essentially like two miniswitches in one.

Found these
    http://www.1728.org/guitar10.htm

There is a a series/parallel master switch for a two pickup guitar. Use any two sides of the S1 as the switch.

But the option will over ride the 3 way switch operation in one mode. Ie. It will work whenever you press the S1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  9. Guitarteach

I assume you mean series/parallel not phase (phase can be done too)

10. scheissami

scheissami TDPRI Member

Sorry, I was just referring to all of the options with the Baja wiring. I ended up using the diagram in the link I posted initially; it involved running a new ground wire to the neck pickup but otherwise seemed the most straightforward. I like the sound I'm getting out of it, and it definitely boosts the output a bit in the series position. If I want some more variety in the future I may try one of these other wiring options.

Part of the problem is that I'm comfortable working from a schematic/diagram but I don't really understand circuit design. I can't work forwards from what I want to achieve sonically.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.