Help wiring on a metal scratch-plate

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by euphi, Mar 22, 2021.

1. euphi

euphi TDPRI Member

Hi people! Really need some help with wiring up an alloy scratchplate. Its a standard bullet strat. Ive upgraded it to a HH with 3 way switch, no push-pull or splitting etc. Ive followed an ironGear diagram and so far ive only got the middle position working, both humbuckers. Neck/Bridge only dont work. I get a
    buzzing when i touch the alloy plate with my fingers, so i assume its a grounding issue.PLEASE correct me if im wrong. Desperate for some help please.
    Ive grounded to the spring claw and finished the diagram, but my issue continues. This is my first complete s-plate build on a metal one anyway. do i need to solder a ground directly to the rear of it?
    Thanks for any help, im very frustrated.

Attached Files:

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The diagram looks fine, and a metal plate will not cause any issues.

Most times the problem is the wiring itself--not the diagram.

Post some close-up pics of your circuit; close-ups of each component (switch, pots, and jack).

That will help us troubleshoot it with you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    euphi likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would ground the pickguard directly to one of the pots or the bridge ground, then re-assess.

teleplayr and euphi like this.
  4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

If the middle position works, most likely there is a problem with how the switch is wired.
    Post some pictures.

euphi likes this.
  5. euphi

euphi TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the speedy replies. I think "lowerleftcoast" is on the right track. I think ive reversed the switch. Both pickup RED wires are fine, but the YELLOW wire needs to be moved over 1 space, toward the input jack.
    Just a heads up, my soldering looks far from good, but the joints are strong.
    Ill fix the switch wire and see if it resolves the problem.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I am not familiar with this particular 3 way switch. The switch on the Iron Gear layout shows connections between 2-3, 4-5, and 5-6. Your actual switch does not show those connections. Do they need to be added?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    euphi, Collin D Plonker and Peegoo like this.
  7. euphi

euphi TDPRI Member

i swapped the switch connection like i said i was gonna do...didnt work, exactly same issue. Need help guys, what am i doing wrong?

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Look at your diagram again. There are jumpers between 2-3, 4-5 and 6-7. I don't see them in your photo.

BTW, if you attach full size photos, it's easier to see.

euphi and DougM like this.
  9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Is it a 3 way or 5 way import switch? The 3 way should be wired like this. It doesn't matter if the pickups are SC or HB. Re9120c95615dd453d185d60105cb5438.jpg

euphi likes this.
  10. euphi

euphi TDPRI Member

OMG! i just saw them! How could i have missed that! Ill get on it asap! Thanks very much

11. euphi

euphi TDPRI Member

MANY, MANY THANKS!! Especially to the last replies, Doug & Collin! I didnt notice the connected switch tangs because they're very hard to see. That coloured diagram of Dougs cleared everything up. I cant tell u how grateful i am for all the help. Ill post a pic of the finished guitar. Cheers

12. euphi

euphi TDPRI Member

As promised, here are the (semi) finished pics of the bullet strat. As i said before, i totally missed the links between the switch......WHAT ARE THE LITTLE TAB THINGS CALLED? The post have them also, i still call them "tabs". GREAT help was offered, affirming my faith in this forum & guitar ppl in general.
    Originally got the bullet strat for (AU$)100, stand incl. I'm very sure i can re-sell the original pickguard for $40-60, sold stock plates before but im open to ppl with more exp. HB's were out of a samick LP copy....the body with a really piss poor cutaway that made me hate it. I love Samick, but the body shape was horrible...a really shallow cut horn.
    Got x2 (250K) pots for under $3, capacitor was cheap too. Alloy plate REALLY had quality control issues when posted to me. I ended up getting a 1/2 refund, which im still feeling, then again it was only advertised at $16. :D
    Switch wires and knobs & jack plate i already have. TIP 4 LOW COST:!! Dont buy those cheap foreign jack sockets off ebay....i mean the CHEAP CHEAP ones. I quickly learned Jaycar stores carry good, and reasonably cheap mono sockets.
    In closing this topic...and i need to SLEEP! The action is way off and im missing a B string. fretboard wood needs a good lemon flavoured drink:lol:. Thinking of taking down the rear radius of neck, making it faster etc. Im out to flip this squire for more than double the cost...opinions are more than welcomed, the constructive kind ofcourse.

goodnight tdpri! :p:):)

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.