HELP!! What in the world is this amp?!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TimW86, Jun 6, 2020.

1. TimW86

TimW86 TDPRI Member

Well, I was born in 86. He had since I could remember and he said it was old when he bought it. But alas I can't ask him so I can only theorize. Asmith is right, though. I did some research and the bottom part is definitely a Supro 16t early 60s. Found this YouTube review

Attached Files:

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

I built a Supro 1616T clone, it is a very good little amp, well worth the service. A lot like a Champ but with wicked good tremolo and a very warm tone.

TimW86 likes this.
  3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Good sounding amps too. A buddy of mine had one of the “seat” amps in his store for a while. Definitely unique.

nojazzhere and TimW86 like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Do you remember the name of his store? Was it in Ft Worth? The one I saw was in an electronics store on S. Main where I bought grill cloth and had speakers repaired. (and saw my first Bose stereo speakers) It was torn down in development for the Convention Center.
    Toby Corporation was (until a few years ago) on Montgomery.....near the Will Rogers complex.

hepular, elihu, dannyh and 1 other person like this.
  5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

The store was called Guitar Mart, but it was owned by Tim Wooley, and most people just called it Wooley’s as I recall. This was early to mid 90’s and originally it was on E Lancaster, a couple doors down from Swords music. Later they moved to Haltom City before finally going out of business, or Tim sold out, or something.

I remember going to Toby’s place on Montgomery a couple times. All the speakers had these triangle shaped tweeters mounted on top, and Toby was always there when I went. Very interesting products and an interesting fellow.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

That's a Supro- Vox Dual Screwy Tone! As has already been established the bottom chassis is Supro. Top chassis looks like Multivox, betcha wish it was just plain old Vox. It's someone's custom mash- up. No speaker?

Needs a tech real bad just to figure out what they had in mind. Next challenge is to connect speaker(s) 'cuz if you light it up just to see it light up you'll hurt it.

ce24 likes this.
  7. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

No idea, but it's pretty cool amp

8. nojazzhere

I knew Tim Wooley (and his brother) well in the nineties. If you remember a guitar-shaped OPEN sign he had? (on E. Lancaster)....I made that, (when I was a neon glassblower) and traded it for a small PA with two Sunn 2X10" cabinets. (which I still have) Tim sold me my first Stratocaster....a MIJ (not a Squier) in Burgandy Mist Metallic, with two humbuckers. I had changed it to standard three single-coils, and soon after it was stolen. Both Wooley brothers were pretty "sleazy".....but nice "sleazy". ;)
    Toby, of course, mostly built home audio speakers, and car audio when that became big. Toby died a few years ago, and the company (last I heard) was still in business, owned by one or several former employees.
    My bass player in high school owned a pair of Toby 2X15" cabinets that were awesome. ONE cabinet out-performed a wall of Kustom 3X15" bass cabs.....yeah, we tried it once. ;)

dannyh likes this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Yeah Tim is a trip, I still “see” him from time to time on FB, haven’t talked to him in years. Darrell that worked with him was a great guy too (I assume he still is lol). I spent way too much time hanging out at that store....

Small world....sorry to hijack, OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. TimW86

TimW86 TDPRI Member

Actually the Supro has a 12" and the Multivox has a 6x9 it appears. I left that out unfortunately :lol:

tubegeek likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

It just came to me.....didn't Tim's store on E Lancaster actually have a sign that said "Woolly Bully's"? ;)

dannyh likes this.
  12. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

didn't they move west? I remember passing by them and the nut company to go work the Fat Stock show , , ,

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Maybe this is backward?
    I had an all original 1616T. It was badged as a Gretsch, made by Valco. No matter the badge, those chassis cosmetics and knobs looked exactly the same.
    Mine had a 6" x 9". Supposedly these were more rare than the ones that came with the round speaker.

tubegeek and TimW86 like this.
  14. nojazzhere

If you're asking about Toby Corp, they moved to Midway Rd in Haltom City.

hepular likes this.
  15. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Newer model of 1616T....6616

Attached Files:

16. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I don’t remember the sign, but I do remembering hearing people call the store that, so maybe so...do you remember Tim’s potbelly pig running around the store?

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

NO!....That would have been hilarious!

dannyh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.