1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! Tremolo replacement for ‘65 DRRi discontinued part

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by htloren, Oct 19, 2020.

1. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

So did you still have a question at this point? I'm not sure where we're at :D

That mini pot is a trimmer to adjust that trem circuit.

htloren likes this.
  2. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

That’s exactly what I was asking for. At this point, am good :) Thanks Corlis1!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  3. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi Corliss1,

Just wanted to update you. Took my amp to the shop. The trimmer experiment worked. We twisted it (using a super small flat driver the tech had) until the thud in the vibrato effect went away!

Things are super quiet now. Whew! This was a long time problem and so glad to have finally gotten the case closed!

Thanks to you and to everyone for the big help!

Loren

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'm glad it ended up being that easy!

htloren likes this.
  5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

How cool is that!? I was wondering what happened.

htloren likes this.
  6. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Just came across this thread. Glad the OP got his amp sorted out.

This caught my attention because I ran into the changed DRRI trem circuit issue a year or so ago.

I don't have a lot of amp tech knowledge, so bear with me.......

I had a 2001 DRRI that I had given to my grandson. Unfortunately, one of his band buddies made an "error" somehow experimenting with speaker cabinets and fried his DRRI, with lots of damage to the original PCB board. I bought him a relatively new DRRI PCB board on Ebay for a little over a hundred bucks - basically a "take-off" from a company that does hand-wired conversions for the DRRI.

Problem was that this new board utilized the "daughter board' trem circuit like the OP's but it was not included. However, I noticed the new replacement PCB still had the spot for the traditional trem component the 20001 amp came with. IIRC, that component is an "optocoupler" or "trem roach" or some similar name, same as what was used on original DR circuits. Anyway, did some research and appeared that this component could be added to the new board in the location noted. My grandson removed it from the original board and installed on the new one and installed new PCB in the amp. Amp sounds great! Quite a bit of work, but not a lot of $$ to get the ol DRRI up and running again.

htloren likes this.
  7. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi JDRnopro,

Glad to hear that you got your problem solved! On my daughter board, my tech checked if there was a way to replace my tremolo board with an old photo cell type daughter board and he told me it just wasn’t possible.

Would have been cool but not necessary. Just glad that the problem was solved and learned something new :)

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

9. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

That's interesting, htloren......

The replacement main "mother" PCB we got had the same optocoupler "roach" location as the original 2001. IIRC, we determined that it was around 3-4 years old and the seller stated that the trem "daughter" board was removed and not included. The connection points for it were apparent though. Like I said, we just removed the optocoupler from the damaged board and installed on the replacement and it works fine. Perhaps newer DRRI boards don't provide a location for the optocoupler - just for the trem daughter board.......??

Anyway, glad you got yours sorted out!:)

htloren likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.