1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! Tremolo replacement for ‘65 DRRi discontinued part

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by htloren, Oct 19, 2020.

1. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi all,

My Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb is in the shop. Some noise when tremolo is on, like a finger tapping on a table sound. Not too loud but it’s there. It follows the setting of the vibrato on the amp.

The amp is at a Fender authorized service center. The problem is that I was told by the tech that this part that he showed me, is discontinued by Fender.

Any idea if there is an alternative out there for this PCB board? I am assuming this is a tremolo PCB?

Also, can anyone tell me if I can use the amp without this connected in the amp for the mean time? If I do need it connected, any long term negative effects?

Thanks in advance!
    Loren

Attached Files:

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I see some bad solder joins on that board I'd try touching up. I'm sceptical the guy knows what he's on about. There's nothing other than a voltage chip.

How old is it? I've heard a trem make a -sst, -sst - sst noise before and it was a dud bypass cap.

Sounds more like they want you to buy a new amp.

What area are you in? There's gotta be a reputable tech or EE in the area.

Leaving it in and running with trem off will be fine.

Paul G. and htloren like this.
  3. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

The board shown is a tremelo effects unit as you suggest but has nothing to do with the vibrato issue you also suggest.
    There are no such boards in my service manual for the 65 Deluxe Reverb. Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 10.56.55.png

schmee and htloren like this.
  4. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

It’s a 3 year old amp. Unfortunately, only one in the country. I am in the Philippines and there is only one authorized Fender service center here. Good tech’s are hard to find too.

Just in case, want to confirm, this isn’t a part in a ‘65 Deluxe Reverb reissue?

The sound problem is more of a “thud, thud” in a hiss sort of way but with a bit of weight. Not overly loud. If I countinued to use this, would it ruin the speaker?

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Jon's manual above is correct. I don't have this manual but I was surprised to see that daughter board and thought something doesn't look right.

If you leave the trem on zero it can't hurt anything. Even if it's on, if it's a soft thudding it won't hurt anything.

htloren likes this.
  6. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone. Is this a common problem with the ‘65 DRRi? I guess I will just ask to take back the amplifier from the store.

Something I did not try, I did switch all the preamp tubes with fresh ones, no change but I did not try replacing the power tubes. I have a spare set I could try. Can the power tubes cause a problem like this on the vibrato?

I realize they are somehow related. I have a TAD Bias Meter and I was replacing power tubes for my Princeton Reverb and was alarmed why the readings kept going up and down only to figure out, the default setting of the vibrato is On when a foot switch is not plugged in. Maybe it is the same with the ‘65 Deluxe Reverb.

7. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

If that board is faulty, which I doubt judging by your fault description, repair it. It has standard components and all will be available.

htloren likes this.
  8. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Copy that. Thanks Jon.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That board is out of a DRRI? The one I converted years ago didnt have that board in it...?
    It appears like one out of a Super Champ XD or something digital like that.

I smell a rat. Why would Fender discontinue a board in an amp they still make?

Si G X, htloren and EmWeAh like this.
  10. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Grab amp......

Run away......

htloren and EmWeAh like this.
  11. EmWeAh

EmWeAh Tele-Meister

I did service two DRRIs so far (2006 and 2009). None of them had a board that looked like that. In fact, if this is functioning as tremolo oscillator, what is the opto coupler on the main pcb supposed to do? I second @schmee's suspicion ...

htloren likes this.
  12. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Copy that guys. Really appreciate it. Will be pulling out the amp today:)

Thanks!
    Loren

13. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Grabbing the amp tomorrow. Will try checking and if needed, replacing the power tubes. I have spares. Something I should have done first.

I have back up tubes.

Could be the tubes have gone mismatched? Or the sockets are dirty? Or just gone bad? It’s the only thing I haven’t tried.

Anybody experience this with their power tubes / vibrato in their DRRi?

14. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

I researched the part number online, I have found a Fender email, only thing I could find for part number 0073580000. It’s the tremolo PCB for a ‘68 Custom Twin Reverb.

Anybody know if this is the case?

I found a ‘65 Deluxe Reverb service manual online and I could not find the PCB part number in it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  15. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

The DRRI has analog vibrato. This is a digital effect. If it was in your amp, it shouldn't be. If it wasn't in your amp, your "tech" is, um, less than reputable.

htloren likes this.
  16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ticking in the tremolo is common in the DRRIs. Mine does it.

17. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Ronzo, ale.istotle and EmWeAh like this.
  18. EmWeAh

EmWeAh Tele-Meister

Hah! Good knowledge, @corliss1. Thank you for sharing.

Ronzo likes this.
  19. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone. Hard to explain whether my problem is a thud or a tick. Could be a “thwup”. I can say it sounds like tapping your finger on a table or the dashboard of your car. Not too loud. But annoying when I am playing by myself. Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.