Help - Stupid P90 question here.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bsman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I was just playing my LP "Junior Special P90" and wondering idly what would happen if I took the bridge or neck pickup and just rotated it 180 degrees and put it back. Would it be hum cancelling?

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I'm afraid not. For a humbucker you need the two coils wound opposite ways and the magnetic polarity to be reversed also.

Here's part of a tutorial I made a while ago:

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 19.47.48.png

Fiesta Red, bsman, CFFF and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

But if you flipped the magnetic polarity by rotating one coil (in this case, a P90) and swapped its leads, would that lessen the hum?

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

No. To do that you need to invert the waveform coming from the pickup by reversing the hot and ground wires, not just moving the pickup.

simoncroft, nojazzhere and bsman like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry.....if your P-90 hum is bothering you, you'll just have to buy a true humbucker and change it out. "HUM" is what we generally have to accept and deal with because we love single coils....;)

6. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Oh no - you misunderstood me! I was listening to the low, musical hum from the LP through my little 6v6 amp and idly wondered what the result would be. I love single coils!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

That would indeed work, but only with both pickups engaged.

The reality with all hum cancelling strategies is there is a pay-off. The Gibson P100 is a humbucker in a P90 form. It sounds 'like' a P90, but it's not quite the same sound. Similarly, you can add a dummy coil into the control cavity, but it darkens the guitar's tone slightly.

It depends what your priorities are as a musician.

Tim S likes this.
  9. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

I am interesting in P90s, but I see from the thread title that the questions are "stupid" so I won't bother reading them.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I use Warman UK RWRP sets of P90's... quiet as a mouse here through any amp and sound great...:cool:

Cream top Tele small.jpg

simoncroft likes this.
  11. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Well, you obviously did open the thread, so why be silly if the OP worries his question might be regarded as 'stupid'?

None of us are born knowing this stuff, or learn it at school, so when we don't know the answers, it can make us feel bad. In the pre-internet days, it took me years to work out the basics of how to wire guitars, and what the difference was between two pickups selected on a Strat versus the two coils inside a humbucker.

If you actually have any questions – as opposed to being a smart alek – you're welcome to ask them.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 02.13.20.png

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my 2019 Gibson LP DC is quiet. man did it record well..has that snarl in the mids ,,

simoncroft likes this.
  13. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

From a Pickup Primer I wrote for Playmusic magazine in 2011:

The Gibson P90 is one example of a pickup that uses a plastic bobbin for its coil. A single bar magnet sits beneath the coil. The magnet is attached to a steel bar that is threaded to take the six adjustable pole-pieces. It is these pole-pieces that sense the strings and the volume balance between then can be changed by screwing a pole-piece down to make it quieter, or up to make it louder.

When it was launched in 1946, the P90 was the first pickup to sport adjustable pole-pieces. Back then, a wound third string was standard. A wound string generates a lot more energy than an unwound, so when unwound third strings started to appear in the 1960s during the Blues Boom, there were probably a lot of guitarists taking screwdrivers to their P90s to get some more volume from the G string.

Both the P90 and most Fender pickups – along with many others – use magnets made from an iron alloy called Alnico (which has added ALuminium NIckle Cobalt). The advantages of this material over steel are that it has a stronger magnetic flux and also stays magnetised for far longer. Nonetheless, even Alnico loses some magnetic power over the years.

This raises an interesting question when reproducing vintage pickup: do you make the copies sound the way vintage pickups are today, or the way they would have been when they were new?

Alnico is available with differing magnetic strengths, as indicated by a number after the name. Alnico II generally produces less output but allows for a vintage tone, while Alnico VIII can be used to make high output pickups especially suited to rock styles. Alnico III and V are the most commonly used strengths.

Science fact:
    The properties of Alnico were first discovered in Japan.

Ceramic magnets don’t age the same way as Alnicos but opinion is divided over whether the tone is better. Some players describe pickups with ceramic magnets as powerful, sensitive and with enhanced harmonics. Others find them harsh-sounding.

(It’s worth mentioning that ceramic magnets are commonly used in active pickups, so it’s easy to be confused about what are ‘ceramic’ characteristics and what are ‘active’ characteristics in a pickups sound.)

bsman, Tim S and bftfender like this.
  14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The P90 was the original PU for the Les Paul ...
    Still the best choice ...
    Noiseless design single coils as an option ???
    Not for me ...
    The noise is part of the sound... mojo ... mystique ...
    Hendrix, Roy Buchanan, Dick Dale ...

15. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

There are some options to reduce noise such as using the hum debugger, or the ISP decimator. Kinman makes some great noiseless P90s. You’re not alone in liking the tone but not the hum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

thanks, nice post. always wondered about the magnetism..just how long it lasts...if we chasing tone from back when..and back when is now not as strong,,,makes it quite the mission

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Just to point out though that this picture only illustrates one of the two magnets on a P90.

simoncroft likes this.
  18. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Yeah it would be a mistake to assume a P90 has one magnet. It has two. One coil, but 2 magnets.

simoncroft likes this.
  19. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Yup. And the screw looks weird, too :)

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Sorry. My bad, as the kids say.:rolleyes:

p905.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.