1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! String keeps moving on bridge!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by hawkpicker, Sep 25, 2007.

1. hawkpicker

hawkpicker TDPRI Member

I've got a baja tele with a PW b-bender that was pretty much hacking right through the stock brass saddle. I replaced it with a case hardened steel, compensated saddle (which is a smaller diameter than the stock brass) and now the b-string moves all over the saddle when playing. I've adjusted the height of the new saddle as high as it will go, which helps but not much. Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks

2. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

A grooved saddle should fix it. I've got a 70's style set that your welcome to. If your interested shoot me a PM....

3. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

...Go with "a 70's style set that your welcome to." and yew won't be sorry.

0le FUZZY

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I would file a small groove/notch into the saddle.

5. hawkpicker

hawkpicker TDPRI Member

Many thanks Kingtone! (PM sent) For now I'll give boneyguy's file tip a shot!

Thanks all!

6. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

I just got a set of Hardened Steel Glendale saddles, and will have to file a small slot for the B string also. My P/W was made in 1976 and I've always used the '60's steel saddles. I'm a little worried about filing the slot in the Glendale because I'll only get one shot--it's not like I can flip the saddle over if I mess the slot up. Fortunately, I have a set of nut files, so it should go o.k. B.T.W, a fish hook file is a good option.

7. boneyguy

You may already be aware but the slot does not have to be very deep to stop the slippage. I would suggest going very lightly and shallow and then tuning to pitch, check it out and repeat if necessary.

8. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

I'm not sure how "hard" the Glendale saddles are but if they're in the 60-62 Rc range a file will not work.

9. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

Yea, I considered that before I bought 'em--we'll see. I'm very familiar with filing slots though. Dale recommended the hardened steel for Benders and mentioned that has been the saddle of choice for Bender Players, so I'm sure it's been dealt with before. Thanks for the heads-up though!!

10. hawkpicker

hawkpicker TDPRI Member

Well I got the 70's saddles from Kingtone and let me just say my tele's now my number 1! Wow, that solved my problem and has me pickin' and bending all over the place! Many, many, many thanks!!

11. boneyguy

YeeHaaw!!

12. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

Just got slightly compensated Kluson brass saddles and ... ahem... there's no slots or grooves for strings. Initially I thought I should file the slots in them but what you guys seem to be writing there there's no need for slots at all and the slots are indeed some evil innovation from the seventies?

I strum my chords pretty hard and I'm prety shocked that there could be a bridge without slots at all. Then again, ther's virtually no slot in my acoustic guitars... hmm.

The saddles I have in my tele now do have very deep grooves for strings indeed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.