Help - Strat Whammy Bar/Bridge on a Tele Deluxe (Reissue)?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by boiledscrod, Oct 1, 2020.

1. boiledscrod

boiledscrod TDPRI Member

Howdy guys-I tried searching for this in the forum but couldn't find much-

I have a Tele Deluxe Reissue and I saw this photo:
    [​IMG]

That made me wonder about putting a whammy on my own Tele Deluxe. There's also https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Classic-Player-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-With-Tremolo.gc that looks basically identical, but I can't really confirm that. This site says the bridge is a "Vintage-style synchronized tremolo".

Looking at these, it seems like this is an easy mod. Just unscrew the original bridge, and screw in a new one - looks like they sell ones that fit. Right?

Googling that type of bridge found me images like this:

[​IMG]

Which has a piece that extends into the body of the guitar. This won't work with the current body of the guitar - it's solid. I'd have to cut through the whole body.

So my question to the world here is - Is the bridge on the Teles above different than the bridge I linked? Is there a "floating" tremolo option that is simple to install, or does it necessitate digging through the whole body? THANK YOU!

(And yes I'm aware that it's kind of silly to make a Tele work like a Strat, but this Tele already DOESN'T sound like a traditional Tele so why not mess with it a little?) (And no not interested in a Bigsby, I have a Gretsch with a Bigsby and it's a pain in the ass! (but I love it!!!))

2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah...
    Cutting thru the body, routing out the back, that's how those work.
    Basically a Strat whammy.
    Might I suggest a GFS. Easier to string up.

3. boiledscrod

boiledscrod TDPRI Member

Ahh, that's what I feared. Do you mind elaborating on a GFS? Google brings me to gear fetish guitar bridges but I'm only seeing hardtails and bridges similar to the strat ones above.

4. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

If you want that trem you will need to cut the through body under your existing bridge AND route a cavity for the springs. There are few options that require no routing etc...you could mount a Bigsby with a few new screw holes; that might be pretty cool. IMHO if I wanted one with a trem I'd do some trading rather than modding yours. I prefer a hard tail. Not that I have anything against trems, I have a corral of strats. I just like the sound/feel of the hard tail on a tele and leave the trem for the strats.

Javier668 likes this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It would be a good idea to examine the very basics of how a Strat vibrato works before continuing this line of thought. One look at a cutaway of a Strat, or a Strat with the rear cover off, will answer everything for you, and looking at these things seems like an obvious first step to me. It seems like you have never seen held a Strat...so how would you even know that you want a Strat vibrato unit?

Javier668 likes this.
  6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

This is what's necessary for that bridge you show in the first post. It's a rectangular cutout through the body, along with a matching recess in the back to accommodate the springs that counteract the pull of the strings.

If you really want something like this, it's often a better option to buy a body already done like this, swap over your neck and hardware, install the bridge, and then sell the original body (if you so choose) to recoup some or all of your conversion expenses.

[​IMG]

8. boiledscrod

boiledscrod TDPRI Member

How incredibly arrogant man. I'm trying to confirm if there are other options besides routing through the entire body of the guitar, maybe it wasn't phrased well enough. If there's no whammy option for tele deluxes besides bigsby's or digging through the guitar body then so be it, but that's what this post was meant to explore.

Somebody didn't read the whole post....

Thanks to the others for the helpful info!

9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I knew someone that had a Tele that had a trem system on it - it was like a flex plate that looked like a normal Tele, but it did not need to be routed. I will have to see if I can find it on-line.

10. EsquireOK

"Arrogant" doesn't make much sense here. I'm not propping myself up. I'm telling you to do the most basic level of research as a first step. Asking the bare minimum out of someone else in your "community" before you help them is not "arrogance." It's daring to have the most basic expectations of that person.

Your statements and questions in the OP show a fundamental lack of mechanical understanding of what you're dealing with. Ignorance is fine; we are all ignorant on certain topics...but you don't just lazily loaf there and ask to be educated by others. Take one or two baby steps first. Five minutes of your own work first, and all your questions are answered.

I mean...you asked if there is any way to install a "floating" tremolo system without having any of the stuff that defines it as a floating tremolo system – a term that comes from the general Fender design in question here. That's like asking how to make a meatloaf without the meat. Well...ya can make a loaf...but it won't be "meat" loaf. You asked if the bridge on the Tele in the OP goes through the body...when you can easily look up a picture of the back of the guitar. It's things like that I'm talking about.

Boreas and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  11. unixfish

phart, oldfish and xtelesquirex like this.
  12. boiledscrod

boiledscrod TDPRI Member

Arrogant to suggest I've never held a Strat before is what I meant....

From OP: "Is the bridge on the Teles above different than the bridge I linked? Is there a "floating" tremolo option that is simple to install, or does it necessitate digging through the whole body? THANK YOU!"

Also: "This won't work with the current body of the guitar - it's solid. I'd have to cut through the whole body."

You can be nit-picky about floating bridge terminology all you want, but I think the gist of what I was asking was pretty clear given the quotes around the word floating, and that extremely clear cut quote saying I'd have to cut through the whole body. See the very next post after yours - an example of a bridge that allows for a whammy bar that doesn't require digging through the body....exactly what I was asking for. This person understood....why didn't you?

It's exactly your attitude that turns so many people off from gear forums, man. The "Akshually..." tone and pushing-your-glasses-up-the-bridge-of-your-nose posture and weird assumption I've never held a strat before, looking down on a newbie....consider that this is all extremely off-putting, especially on a post for a wacky fun idea like this. Consider this person who just posted an example of what I was talking about without assuming things about me, the other people who said basically what you said...but better.

13. unixfish

OlRedNeckHippy and Zepfan like this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A JM/Jag type trem and bridge is a better system than the Strat type IMO.

You'd need to drill 2 holes for the bridge posts and then route a shallow cavity on top for the trem.[​IMG][​IMG]

15. EsquireOK

You expressed surprise that a Strat vibrato has a thingy that goes down into the body, and that some cavities need to exist in the body for this to work...and I'm arrogant for saying that it "seems" like you've never held a Strat before?

I am not being nit-picky about terminology. I am being incredulous at willing ignorance as a result of a certain thought process (or lack thereof).

Look, the answer to your question is obviously NO. The one in the pic is a Strat vibrato...and you can't install a Strat vibrato without the cavities to accept it. Dems da basic mechanical facts. You either rout for the classic Strat style vibrato (like the guitar in the OP), or you get a surface mount option. That much is obvious with 5 minutes of easy looking online. "What are my options for surface mount vibratos (that can go up and down)" is where your inquiry here starts. And that is indeed a good question to explore (as well as one on which there is much information). The Bigsby is the main option, though it pretty well sucks at pulling up. There are others like a Stetsbar. But nothing that looks like a Strat vibrato, which is what you seem to want.

16. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes. There is a reason they are so popular. I have around 8 and have installed 3 on Teles. Once I learned how to set them up so they return to tune, I love all of mine!

OP sounds like he has had a bad experience with them. I frankly have had more trouble with the type he wants to install, but to each his own.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  17. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.