1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! Stereo signal content

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm getting confused and a little frustrated.. well, trying not to, it is a hobby after all.

Background:

Bought a Strymon Iridium and a pair of monitors for home use. My pedals are all mono.

Issue:

The Iridium greatly benefits from the "room" feature, which imo needs to be in stereo to do it's magic - make the rig sound like an amp in the room.

I find reverb also enhances the authenticity of the tones, and I like to use chorus and delay as well. These time based pedals (which are mono) sound best after the Iridium.

So I thought i was a genius when I realized I could just run the mono reverb after the Iridium left channel, and the delay and chorus after the Iridium right channel... This maintains the stereo signal from the Iridium to the monitors.

However, sounds like the chorus (small clone) and delay (dmm) cause some kind of phase issue when engaged. Doesn't sound horrible, but just a bit too spacial if that makes sense.

Question:

Is it imperative to run true stereo modulation after the Iridium, or would a phase inverting pedal or device do the trick? Or am I stuck running my mono pedals pre Iridium.. I absolutely must run the Iridium in stereo (out), otherwise it sounds like just another lifeless modeler (in the room at least).

Thanks!

2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

The room feature in the Iridium is a reverb with a short return time. Stereo reverbs tend to sound better than mono, so I can see why you'd think that sounds more lifelike.

Reverb is all about the time delay (effectively phase) of the echoes relative to the dry signal. Putting additional reverb on one side adds a set of delays intended to mimic a different room and putting a delay on the other adds something different. In both cases, the net result is that the modified stereo signal will have the space the Iridium intended to create knocked way off-kilter. That's why the reverb is usually at the end of the chain.

I don't have an Iridium, but I get the impression it was intended to replace the amp and everything beyond it, so you're probably better off putting pedals ahead of it instead of behind unless they're stereo.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Yeah I'm starting to realize that mono pedals aren't intended to be used in this "stereo" fashion.

Oh well, I guess the rabbit hole continues.. tone is getting there so that's the good news

Might grab that nux stereo delay and reverb combo pedal, throw it after the Iridium.

Yes the room feature is a reverb, but not a very wet one. It's job, to my ear, is simply to give the sound a little dimension. I don't think it's really a "reverb" effect.

4. Axegrinder77

The nux only has mono in

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A guitar sound with reverb anywhere except last in the signal chain sounds unnatural. The reason is reverb is actually delay, with the delays very close to one another--and not all the same length. We are used to hearing noises reverberate after the noise is released by whatever makes the noise.

If you have a stereo reverb feeding two signal chains that apply further sound treatment beyond EQ, you will get phasing/flanging/comb filtering artifacts, and that often sounds weird unless you're going for that unnatural tone.

In the case of the Iridium, it would've been a really nice feature if they had included a mono effects loop between the amp/cab sim stage and the on-board reverb. Why they didn't--I don't know.

6. Jaggersan

Jaggersan TDPRI Member

I don’t have the iridium but I have been using a mono ir simulator on my board, I put it before the delay/reverb and use it in series. This allows me to run all my mono pedals in front of it and the stereo delay/reverb after. So now I can mono out to amp or stereo out to interface. That was my work around anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.