Help!! Silverface Bassman info needed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DannyStereo, Oct 6, 2015.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

JBL famously made very high end instrument speakers for Fender .. not car stereo

The speaker is probably worth $$ I would guess. The 12s are sought after. maybe the 15 less so but still valuable. Do not throw it away! :lol: honestly surprised you haven't seen all the love for vintage JBL speakers on the forum here.

2. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

True enough in years past. Not probably worth bucks...Maybe. Depends upon from where it was sourced. JBL did all the speakers for Woodstock. They haven't done instrument or festival style array speakers since they were acquired by Harmon Kardon...The home entertainment and car audio company.

That is precisely why I asked if Danny knew which one or where it came from. It needs to be identified (should have mentioned that I guess) If it's a D series JBL (or similar series speaker) then it's an instrument quality speaker. If not then it belongs in the living room or Honda.

3. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

He says he thinks it's a D-140 and will try to send a picture today

4. DannyStereo

I'm still a little confused. If it has a 4ohm tap, I'd have to find a 2x12 cab with two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel, right? I mean, if I wanted to replace it

5. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Yes two 8 ohm speakers wired parallel is correct. I have 69 bassman and love it. I'd jump on that one if it were me. Sounds like a good deal.

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes, in theory you would want a pair of 8 ohm 12s wired in parallel, if a pair of 12s is what you want to use. A single 4 ohm would also work fine if the power handling is rated high enough.

Most people will say that Fender output transformers from the BF/SF era are sturdy enough to handle a mismatch of double or half so an 8 ohm load would probably be fine.

I used to own a 6G6B Bassman head and 2 x 12 piggyback cabinet and moved the chassis into a custom combo cabinet that used a single 15". That setup killed with a Tele or other single coil guitar (didn't own anything with buckers). You may really like a 15" D140 with guitar.

The Bassman I owned had a reconed Jensen P15N and was done at 4 ohms to match the transformer impedance, but that may have been pushing the limits of the speaker even with a recone. It sounded great whether turned up or set low and it could still handle a bass at relatively mild volumes.

7. DannyStereo

Yeah my only experience with a single 15" is an Excelsior, so this is new territory. I'm also thinking our lead singer may REALLY enjoy a Bassman/single 15" combo since he plays a Baritone Jaguar.

I'm trying to meet the guy tonight.

8. DannyStereo

Speaking of volumes. I use pedals for dirt, and I have a Mesa Express 5:50, so I'm familiar with a 50 watt amp, but is the single 15" gonna be more efficient than two 12"s?

Most likely I'm gonna have to closet/backstage it if I play at church. Lol

9. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

...oops, missed second page...

Did you end up with the amp?

10. DannyStereo

Not yet... Haven't been able to meet up :/

11. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

1970 a good year and won't have a master volume which is a good thing. You can "jumper" it to get all sorts of cool variations - look it up.

I'd make that trade. Love my beat up old '67 SF bassman!

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...I prefer classic fender amps to Vox, so I'm not a neutral source, but +1 to this concept. I currently have a '68 Bassman head with a 2X15 closed back cab and it's celestial. From clean to glorious OD. It may not have the jangly chime of a Vox, but it might - I just haven't tried to get there yet.

...this can mean a lot of different things - from adding bias control to changing/clipping some of the caps into the power tubes to "changing resistors in the power supply filter cap section" (whatever that means) - best check with Wally and some of the other amp pros...

but FWIW, on my experience, do it!

13. DannyStereo

Sadly, I haven't been able to meet up still!!!

14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

hold on there fellas. if it really is a 15" JBL in that cab, it's worth a hundred bucks or more. who plays through JBLs? The Grateful Dead. The Allman Brothers. everybody. could be a great match for that Bassman head. I have a '68 with an original 2x12 cab and it doesn't take long to get tired of hauling that thing around. Make the trade, play it for a while, if it doesn't sound right to you (that's a lot of loud and clean) sell the cab & the 15 to a bass player, who will love you for it.

and considering that I bought my AC15c1 new (b-stock) for $425, that's a very good trade.

15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

sorry, missed the 2nd page

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.