1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

help - signal reduction acts like short

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by chauncie, Oct 20, 2020.

1. chauncie

chauncie NEW MEMBER!

I picked up a 90s duo sonic that sounds great, but has problem in the wiring, and it randomly loses signal going out based on movement of the jack cord (or tone pot?) the signal gets cut by ~25% and sounds super thin but still comes thru. I twist the tone nob and move the cord around and it comes back to 100% (acts like a short, but it’s signal loss). I had a shop take a look, and they said everything seemed fine, but replaced the jack as it was very flimsy. and it’s still happening. they said they checked the pots and wiring and all seemed ok, but it isn’t at all. when played clean it so faint I couldn’t even demonstrate it for them. I’m at a loss, any ideas what would cause this?

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here's a start on basic troubleshooting:

Was the tech able to duplicate the problem?

Try a different cord?

Are you plugged directly to the amp?

Tried a different amp?

Any recent wiring changes to the guitar?

Problem same on all pickup selections?

Problem same in different pot positions?

Tried banging on the guitar to provoke problem? (cold solder joint)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like some of the signal is intermittently bleeding to ground. I'm pretty sure one hot somewhere is slightly touching a grounded part. As @Boreas suggested, it may be the pickup selector. It could have been the jack, but if it's just been replaced and the problem continues, I would look elsewhere.

Boreas likes this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Could be when everything is stuffed back into the control cavity something is touching something else that isn't evident when the plate is pulled out. Wires around the switch can get scrunched against the contacts. See what happens when you loosen/tighten the plate while plugged in & strumming.

EsquireBoy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.