Help shopping for humbuckers

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
I have the last of my pointy guitars on the bench (Ibanez Iceman style), and I'm looking for a set of humbuckers. They would have to be metal-capable, but, I really need them to be great for cleans, too. I was thinking of something like a Lawrence L500xl pickups, but this guitar has very shallow, direct-mount pickup cavities with the center block elevated higher than the spaces for the pickups 'legs', or 'feet'. The way it is made is kind of dependent that the pickup you're using has descending 'legs'. So the build of the pickup has to be like a 'standard' Dimarzio style. What buckers really rock the gain, but can clean up for classic rock, and clean blues? I need a set that will do Pantera, or White Zombie, and then clean up with some blues, or funk. Anybody tried the Steve Morse Dimarzios?

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A pic of how they are direct mount you are talking about would help. Unless the current pickups are some abnormally thin design you can usually find ways to direct mount any pups.

You cant beat the Lawrence 500XL for what you are indicating wanting. Killer metal but clean up so clear as a bell & articulate it is stunning.

Here is one with L500XL bridge and 500R neck. Because the owner wanted as dark as posse it also has 250k pots & a Qfilter. Still even clearer & sweet in person that the audio shows.

Eric

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Can't beat Stooge Mac Parsons Street (standard power) humbuckers for tone and price. Super versatile pickups.

I have these in a few guitars, including this one. They play nice and clean, and can growl and bark when necessary.

Geno-with-Flying-V-at-The-Warehouse.jpg

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Lace Sensor is what you seek. They are very shallow compared to regular HB. This model (they have a number to suit your needs) is less than an inch in depth. Well made product also. Clapton, Eric Johnson, etc ...I thought I saw a sign guitar from a notable metal player that used Lace also but couldn't recall offhand..

https://lacemusic.com/collections/7/products/alumitone-deceptor

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven’t tried it first, but I’ve head people say that if you get super cranked up humbuckers they make for better sounding coil split pickups than most humbuckers. That could be a route to check out.

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
I grew up on metal and have had everything from a emg 81 to a BL l500xl. I have to say the Seymour duncan JB is my favorite HB. It's has enough power and bite but is still warm and can do everything from thrash to classic rock