1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help replacing squier tele pickups

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by mr_Stupot, May 28, 2014.

1. mr_Stupot

mr_Stupot NEW MEMBER!

Hello all
    I've replaced the pickups on my squier tele with some slightly better ones.
    I replaced each wire at a time so I knew where each one went to on the control panel-pots or selector switch.

The coupling on the 3 way selector switch pins seems fine (where the white or red wire from the pickups go). The three black wires, 1 from each pickup and the ground(?) wire all get soldered to the same place on one of the pots, I've put it all back as I found it but when I replace the scratch plate and put everything back together and plug into an amp...nothing!

Please help, I may need it in a couple of days!
    Does the earth wire need to connect anything as the wire is seemingly loose, this wouldn't stop it working I guess it would only cause a buzz!
    Any help welcome :)

2. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Resolder your connections. Do you here anything when you move selector switch? I wonder if your jack is wired up right if you have nothing ?

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

I would start manipulating wires with the guitar plugged in. See if one or more has a weak connection. I would start with the jack wires. Sometimes wires can come loose while the control plate is being moved about .

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

And yes, solder the ground back on. lol

5. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I don't see this as a schematic issue. You've likely done almost everything correctly but you've lost something from your jack or another ground issue. Usually if you have nothing...it's a bad ground. Simply recheck all of your solder joints and I think you'll be ok.

6. mr_Stupot

mr_Stupot NEW MEMBER!

Thanks!

I'm something of a newbie to the electrics side of things - thanks for the heads up.
    The ground wasn't soldered on to anything when I encountered it, is it normally soldered on to the back of the bridge say?
    It's just pokes up through a pre drilled hole.

Will try take some pics!

7. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

Me too, new to electronics. I had a weird problem recently soldering a new 3-way switch on a CV. It worked when the control panel wasn't screwed in, and would stop working altogether when I screwed it down.
    I looked at it and noticed that the tone pot was turned and the pins were crammed against the side of the cavity. I just turned them straight and it works great. It's not real pretty, but all good solder joints!
    Maybe this helps, maybe not, but I found it something to look for when I do my new CV soon. Switches are 'el-cheepo on these guitars but it's so cheap to fix permanently, who cares?

8. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

No, it shouldn't be soldered to the bridge. It should sick through and get pinched by the bridge when mounted. Again, though if this were the culprit, it would Buzz horribly but would work. I second the Jack hypothesis. I have had many jacks come undone when I didn't think I had put any pressure on the wires.

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is the usual way the bridge is grounded. The bare wire lays flat against the body, and it's sandwiched between the bridge plate and body.

This is a normal Telecaster with a metal control plate, right? Not something with the controls mounted on the pickguard, or on the wooden body?

The first thing to try is to dismount the control plate, and let it hang by the wires. Plug the guitar in, make sure both controls are maxed, and see if you have sound. The control cavity of a Telecaster is tight, and if you have a stray wire that gets up against the shielding you can have trouble. If it works with the control plate dismounted, look for something that could be touching the cavity, or something that's getting pushed out of place.

What pickups are you using? The color coding of pickup wires isn't standardized. If, for example the base plate of the bridge pickup is connected to one of the pickup wires, and the wiring gets reversed because the colors don't match up, then the bridge pickup will be dead, and with the selector in the middle position it will also kill the neck pickup. You might try disconnecting the bridge pickup, and see if that has any effect on things.

If I was in this predicament, I'd carefully sketch out they way it's wired now. I'd disconnect the two pickups, and also disconnect the jack wiring from where it connects to the volume pot. I'd connect the neck pickup directly to the jack, and work with it until I got sound. Ditto for the bridge pickup. Then step by step start connecting things the way they should be... start with the switch, make it work, add the tone control, then the volume, etc.

If you can post some clear pictures, it might help us understand what's going on.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I assume your switch is one of the rectangular "import" types. If so, I'd have another look at the pickup connections there. Not only do you need to bridge two of the switch's lugs with each pickup wire, you also have to be sure you're bridging the right ones.

When I replaced my pickups and switch, I had to use a multimeter to determine which lugs to bridge because the wiring diagram I was using wasn't the correct one for my particular switch. After my first try (following the diagram), I plugged the guitar in and got nuthin'.

11. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Check those tiny wires at the jack, often in moving the control plate around when soldering new pickups one of those wires on the jack will break They are real fine on the import Affinitys, it'd be the first place I'd check.

12. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

post pictures

13. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

I got to agree with the input jack being the culprit...Just replace it with some 22 ga. hook up wire..I did that to all my squires...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.