1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help relieve my bender anxiety

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Bunky, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

I had a guitar with a hipshot b-bender before. But it had some issues.. The string would break easy, the steel saddle had a groove worn in it, and i don't think it had a proper bridge.

Please tell me -exactly- THE BEST bridge i can possibly get that is ready to go with a hipshot, no fussing or messing around with angles and filing/drilling of the bridge plate.

and do i have to use the ugly tubing?

I really want something that is going to last, and not cause any hassle.

Thanks so much.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I use the tubing, I could see where not using it would cause a break. I have a 62 Custom RI with threaded rod saddles, and I have never broke a string as a result of the bender. I always use something like graphite, or some type of lube.

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I've always used the tubing as well. If starting without a guitar the G&L ASAT Special has the easiest to use bridge, but its not going to retrofit a Tele easily.

I'm not a fan of the dual loading Wilkenson so I'd do as suggested above and use the standard, inexpensive, US reissue bridge plate, drill one top loading string hole that fits the tubing snugly, and then go with either the threaded looking early '60s type saddles or the later '60s-'70s dual grooved steel saddles. Just lube the slot every so often.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've owned and used Hipshot B benders since they were new in 1983.
    I use stock Fender 3 saddle bridges and plates.
    I don't use the tubing, and I have never needed to modify the saddles or plate.
    My solution is slightly high action, and slightly heavier strings.
    Sings like a bird and sounds like a pedal steel!

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I've tried the tubing but I found the string gradually cut into the plastic and wouldn't return to tune properly, so now I'm just running the string thru the top load hole without the tubing,. Lubed.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

No one can answer you properly.

EACH part of your question depends on the neck angle, the break angle behind the saddles, string gage and your pick attack.

The LAST is most important. You HAVE to lighten up your attack and use your amp and guitar controls - crank the amp and drive it from the guitar. That alone will eliminate breakage.

The other factors are all interrelated and there is no answer. None. Each individual variable will change the way something else needs to be set. And a notch, or tubing, may be needed no matter what if your neck angle would require a ridiculously large shim.

You really need to have a tech familiar with B-benders look at it - and absolutely tae a look at your playing. It may need some changes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.