HELP - Problem Diagnosis - My Friedman Runt 20 sounds like Rice Crispies

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by SmartyPantzVA, Nov 16, 2019.

1. SmartyPantzVA

SmartyPantzVA TDPRI Member

Hello,

I'm afraid I need help. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my amp, and I play it every week, but I can't use it live anymore due to the snapping crackling and popping coming from the amp, even with no input. I have just changed the power tubes and the pre amp tubes to no avail. The noise increases when I turn up the amp. The sound is the same in both channels, although there is a tone difference consistent with the tones from the different channels. Here is a link to a video demonstrating the issue. My local amp guy says to send it back to Dave. Here's the issue: I am the second owner. I bought it 3 months used from a guy who said he was more of a Fender guy. I'm not sure if Dave will honor the warranty. Anyone else had this problem? Can any of y'all shed some light on what may be going on?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C7PNQVZVpKHnHb1o6

Thanks,
    B-rad

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Start with cleaning the pots.
    Then tube sockets.
    Poking around with a chopstick could find a bad connection.
    Chances are pretty good that will take care of it.
    Any of the above could kill you if you don't know how to not die.

rangercaster likes this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

if its not that (above) re-solder any connection that you are not 100% sure of

4. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

As to warranty. To cover my Tone King Imperial (I previously had) under warranty I was required to provide a copy of my original receipt showing I bought the amp new. They also used the serial number to validate if an amp was in warranty. I would give Friedman a call they might be able to guide you in troubleshooting and/or offer a repair deal.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Did your tech get to look at it, or does the tech not want to bother with an amp or that type?
    Can you pull and reinstall tubes? If so, start by pulling tubes...starting at the input stage...one by one and reinstalling if the noise does not go away. Keep pulling tubes until the noise stops...if it ever does.
    If the noise stops when you pull a certain tube, you have found an area of concern. Reinsert the tube to see if the noise goes away. If it does, you had a dirty tube socket. If not, perhaps you have a bad tube. Install an appropriate known good tube of the same type. Does the noise stop, if so, throw the tube that was making noise away. If the substitute tube does not do away with the noise, there is a problem in the circuit associated with that tube. If a new preamp tube, PI tube or a set of new power tubes doesn’t cure the problem, you need a tech to go inside that amp.

muchxs likes this.
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

When I was a kid, we used to attend church suppers. An ex- NYC commercial artist by the name of Allan Eldridge made it out to all the church suppers. He used to entertain the kids by demonstrating his ability to draw an elephant without lifting his pencil.

If the OP feels like driving up to DC next week I may be able to demonstrate diagnosing crackle in a Friedman by poking it with a stick.

:cool:

D'tar, Bendyha and RyCo1983 like this.
  7. muchxs

Let's hit the high spots:

Unless it was in the Nashville flood of was used as a boat anchor in the Buffalo Bayou it's too new for dirty pots. Unless...

Debris floating around inside the amp may have made its way into one of the pots. Strands of wire, splattered solder or metal shavings left from drilling can find their way into the pots.

Dirty sockets. Again, unless it was dragged through the mud it's too new for dirty sockets.

Crackly tubes. Maybe a JJ 12AX7 with the dreaded JJ busted shell? But... OP says,

Lightning strikes twice... What are the chances?

:rolleyes:

Anyone else had this problem? Most common complaint is low and /or distorted output. Next most common complaint is hum. Crackle is about even with hum. Let's say roughly 50% of the amps that come in for repair are low and distorted, 25% hum and another 25% crackle.

Come to think of it,

75% to 90% of the amps that come in for repair don't make any sound at all. The usual approach is to play 'em until they won't work at all or tinker with them until they won't work at all. Prior to their demise, 50% of amps played low and / or distorted etc..

Mostly.

I'm guessing it has a bad solder joint or a compromised connection inside.

peteb and Wally like this.
  8. Wally

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    SmartyPantzVA likes this.
  9. SmartyPantzVA

Thanks y'all. Some useful feedback in here. muchxs...not so much :p

10. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="SmartyPantzVA, post: 9434945, member: 145431”not so much[/QUOTE]

You were given good advice by a very knowledgable and experienced member.

You should be grateful.

11. SmartyPantzVA

You were given good advice by a very knowledgable and experienced member.

You should be grateful.[/QUOTE]

Might be your first week on the inter webs Peter, but :p is the universal sign for, I'm joking.

All comments were helpful - some were even colorfully and artistically written. Of course, I am thankful for all, even yours

12. muchxs

Talk is cheap and worth every penny.

We're throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks until it's fixed.

It's 150 miles from Williamsburg to DC. We'll be there for The Battle of the Beltway, the ultimate off season road race in North America. A few million people get together and do slow motion laps around DC the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Listening to the clip again... it doesn't have the crisp top end of a broken solder joint. Sounds more like a cooked coupling cap leaking DC.

D'tar likes this.
  13. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Ahh yes. never have they declared a winner. Les the turkey not eaten!!!

14. SmartyPantzVA

Sending it back to Friedman. I received an email from Dave Friedman saying he suspects a bad Silver Mica Cap, which, he says, they found to have this problem and since no longer use. This seems to line up with what one YouTuber said was his solution to a similar issue and also what muchxs hypothesized. It's a shame to have to ship it all the way back to California from Virginia, but I'm glad it is going to be back home and I am confident she will come back better than new. I'll let you know.

And thank you all again for your comments and suggestions. It really helped me!

15. Wally

There is no need to ship such an amp for that problem, imho. Including pulling and reinstalling the chassis, this repair would take less time than it takes to box the amp up.
    fwiw, Tyler amps paid me for that exact same repair on an amp that was less than a month old rather than have to spend time dealing with the shipping and repair. I bet that the silver mica cap is a little black part.

16. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

If you are paying the shipping id just take it to a tech to swap out that 50 cent capacitor first, probably cost close to the same and you wont be risking shipping around the holidays

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.