Help - Possibly in Choosing a New Princeton

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 1977CJ5, Apr 13, 2021.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The 65 with the 12.

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My first thought is "hate?" WTH is with the "hate?" It's just a Princeton Reverb, right? Legendary amp.

Go play 2 or 3 of the RIs and play the '68s, as well. Buy one if you like it.

3. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic

Let me tell you that the tweed Princeton GC w/ the 12" Celestion is the most lovely low volume clean experience I've had and I was a fool to sell it. Ask for the obligatory 15% discount and you will have a joy for like $500 out of pocket. It also only got better as it broke in.

4. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't mean to refer to my own earlier post, but I'd add that the "best" version has to depend why exactly you want a Princeton in the first place.

You'll find a million posts here where somebody points out that, at a certain amount of "more," it kind of stops being a Princeton and may or may not lose some charm. The archetypal Princeton sound is probably a function of circuit-bias trem-cathodyne PI, sorta-adequate transformers, and a weenie vintage American 10" speaker in a medium sized, open back cab.

My own is a Weber 6A14, a pretty correct Princeton Reverb circuit, built correctly as a 2x6V6 amp, but with Deluxe PT and OT. That amp is in a head cab, played through a Tremolux-style 2x10 loaded with a pretty robust WGS G10C and a Tone Tubby Humbolt (brighter and more vintagey than people think.) The combination sounds gorgeous to me. It does bigger-and-prettier-than-Deluxe cleans, and still breaks up like a Princeton. But there are some "Princeton things," I usually have 60s pop and soul in mind, that it just won't do.

I would expect some of those special editions - isn't there one with a Cannabix Rex in it? - to get pretty far away from some of the same "Princeton things."

5. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently bought a 68 PRRI. So far I’m digging it. It’s gritty but that is what makes it a great living room amp. My DRRI needs a bit more space for it to get to a sweet spot. I will say that the PRRI seems to be voiced for Fender guitars. My Tele and Strat sound great. Humbuckers not so much.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

95C0C2ED-C96E-485E-98A5-C17D0264DDD0.jpeg

Electric Warrior likes this.
  7. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all the replies! I got the Bordeaux special edition 12" from GC and talked them into giving me a 15% discount. I received the amp today.
    Plugged it in, I'm in love. Crazy in love! Sweetest sounding amp I've ever played.

8. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have the Bordeaux edition too. I love it. I don’t know or care enough about distortion, really; I’m a clean sound kind of guy. But when I do crank it and whang on it hard, I like it.

As for Tone King, there is an Imperial Mark II at GC here, and oh my GOD. I’ve gone there three or four times now to spend quality time with it. It’s $2,595, so that probably won’t happen.

But oh my GOD.

Electric Warrior and Wally like this.
  9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Nice discount! And you'll love it more as the speaker breaks-in.

Electric Warrior likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.