Help Pls Advice Needed Neck Humbucker 250K V 500k pots?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jazzerclean, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I need advice from humbucker guru's please from people more knowleged than I.

Firstly, I play jazz style and only I need or want the neck humbucker sound. I have just installed a neck humbucker in my Tele with the stock 3 way switch and 250k pots left in.

I don't use the bridge pickup at all, so I don't care about the bridge such as balancing it with the humbucker (or middle position) etc.

My question for you:
    If I put in 500k pots as usually recommended for the humbucker, what sound difference would there be in both volume and tone control for the humbucker. Say as opposed to leaving the stock 250k pots in?

Will there be a sound benefit in both volume and tone control considering the warmer tones needed for jazz style.

I only need your advice regarding 250k verses 500k used with a humbucker, playing jazz style, as I have other guitars for other styles.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

3. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

Id expect no change in volume but very slightly clearer top end with 500k pots.

If with the 250k's you are finding the jazzy tone you need with some tone turned down, then there's no point in changing pots. But if you think your style might sometimes benefit from a bit more treble, then 500k, and you can find more muted tones using the tone pot.

If you want to hear the difference with two 500k pots, before making a change, temporarily disconnect the 250k tone pot just leaving the 250k volume. Its virtually exactly the same with one 250k volume compared to 500k volume and tone both at max.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Thanks so much for your info, you nailed the info I was Iooking for. I am happy with the current tone I am getting, but didn't want to go to the trouble of changing over the pots for little reward.

If I only get MORE treble using 500k tone pot, I wouldn't want to have that. As that is the opposite of what I thought and hoped a 500k pot would do to the tone, ok, wow!

if there is no change in the volume other than clearer top end by using a 500k volume pot, then it may not be worth the bother of the change???

But I will try disconnecting the tone to hear the sound comparison at max though.

Thanks again for your expertise, that helped me to decide.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

great, all cool!
    John

6. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Hi John, I tried your suggestion out, then I decided to try some 500k and guess what! You was absolutely spot on with your advice, the 500K's gave me more treble and if I was still a Rock/blues Les Paul player, which I left years ago, it would have been fine. So I went back to the 250k pots with the humbucker and it is so much better than the 500k for a warm jazz style and was exactly as you stated.
    See, I knew you was a Guru.
    Many thanks for helping me to sort it out or I'd have been left always wondering.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 2:45 AM
    johnDH likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.