Help Please - Which Tele Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by drutgat, Jul 22, 2019.

Which Tele?

1. Nashville Deluxe Tele

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. FSR Deluxe Tele

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Vintera 60s Tele Modified

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Classic Player Baja 60s Tele

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. Vintera 50s Tele Modified

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  6. Player Tele

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

I will definitely do that, KT89. Thanks.

This is the first round of 'research', though - just want to get to know the lay of the land, so to speak.

And I agree completely that gelling with the instrument is the most important thing.

Many thanks.

2. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Thanks, Sparky2.

You are absolutely right.

And forewarned is forearmed, so I will sally forth into guitar stores after I add a bit of knowledge about Teles to what is left of my brain.

3. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Hi Tex,
    Many thanks for this.

Lots of great information here, so I will follow up on your suggestions.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

If I need a Tele and havent played one, I'll buy a Squier CV/CVC first... learn to play it, see what I like, or dont like (maple or rosewood, modern or vintage pickups, etc etc)

Then if I decide I really want the Tele platform and I now have my preferences, I'll buy the Tele that has the closest to my preferred specs.. and upgrade from there..

The Tele is a special kind of guitar.. you'll either love it or hate it, but at least, from 99 bucks up to 9000 dollars, you are getting the same exact shape, but somehow, the same tele twang tone.. you just have to try it first with as little money as possible then splurge if you think its the right guitar for you..

Also, does it really need to be 22? well at least in my case, I cant even play past the 12th fret, so having 10 more frets to me is just excess. LOLOLOL...

Telebeestar, tonyj and drutgat like this.
  5. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Thanks, dreamintele.

The CV's are 7.25" radius, I think - used to have a Strat CV 7.25" and could not get along with it.

But, in principle, the 'plan' you suggested is what I am doing.

To me the average Fender (and I have had 5, bought new and used) is quite poorly built and finished, especially in comparison to Epiphones, so that is why the bottom price I am looking at will be CDN $1000.

22 frets was just a preference, not a requirement, so I can dispense with that - I usually get up to the 16th. fret, but rarely beyond that.

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

CV's are 9.5 Medium Jumbo Frets..

Classic Player Baja is 9.5" radius.

EDIT: Vintera is 9.5 radius

All are within your spec.

7. DirectorDisch

DirectorDisch TDPRI Member

I have an FSR Blonde Ash Tele that I got new for $499. Switched out the PUs to Wild Bill Keystones. Added a 4-way switch, Fender Locking Tuners, and Gotoh compensated brass saddles. All those parts cost $180. I also flipped the control plate so that the pickup switch is on top (the guitar came in the original Tele control plate setup of volume/tone/switch)
    Had a local shop install, which cost $100. So $780 and I have a Tele I couldn't be happier with. I can't recommend the Keystone PUs enough. The quality for the price is unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

As others have said, DONT spend a ton of time doing online research. It's a waste of time for finding a good guitar (though it might be a fun way to spend time). Spend a ton of time playing different ones and buy the specific guitar that you prefer. OR build your own - you are guaranteed to get the specs you want, but no guarantee it's going to have the magic when you're done with it. Guitars are not like refrigerators, they are each a little bit unique. With internet shopping, we forget that. It is a thousand percent true with acoustics, less so but still true with electrics.

Also, consider more non-Fender brands. I paid around $700 used for the Reverend Pete Anderson in my signature, with a nice case. It has all the specs you're looking for, including silly extra switching options, except the pickups are true single coil (but the guitar is not noisy. Teles aren't noisy guitars since the whole bridge and the back plate on the bridge pickup shields the bridge pickup, AND the neck pickup has a grounded cover).

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I voted Baja 60s. It ticks almost all the boxes and is one HELL of a telecaster;

- 21 frets and split shaft tuners … you’ll get to love them I promise ;)
    - the best set of traditional-voiced pickups on any of the models you indicate. American vintage 52 (neck) and 58 (bridge). “Classic”!
    - a comfy mid-C with medium jumbo and 9’5’'
    - the switching options you noted (… NB: I pulled everything out of mine to put there a simple 3-way)

As on all MIM guitars you may have to work a little on small details (e.g. new nut) but the rewards will be considerable.

That said, you don’t know yet what PUPs you’d have to change, until you test the guitars yourself! And you also know: go and try them so you see what speaks to you!

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

PS: American Vintage, Classic Series, Vintera non-mod are all 7’25’’. Out of your spec. Still, I would suggest you try them if you find them in shops. I can’t imagine something more “quintessential tele” than a used American Vintage and a used one might just fit your budget … Just be aware that it may have the “vintage wiring” on it so if it sounds weird and muffled on the back position, don’t get alarmed. It’s just an easy-to-fix wiring thing ;D

dreamingtele likes this.
  11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I find that red ones sound the best.

nojazzhere and Mr Scallywag like this.
  12. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Go and play every single model if possible, ONLY then will you know which one is for you.

There's no point asking anyone else, because everyone of us will say something different.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

No prob. They're on the lower end of what you're willing to spend. But contoured body, contoured heel joint, a rosewood fretboard in the black version (which also has a bound body and bound neck) and a sweet P90 for the neck pickup AND series/parallel options with a push-pull pot make it a great deal.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I've owned a Nashville Tele and it was a nice guitar, but I just wasnt keen on the pickups.. So, I sold it. However judging by the specs you mention, i would say this would be perfect for you.

16. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

The "wide range" humbuckers are very lively. I myself hate humbuckers, but the WR and the ones in the Gibson Firebird are very un-HB sounding to me. As for the noiseless / quiet thing... a good copper tape shielding and isolated or UPS power supply for your amp to plug into does wonders for quiet and still great tone. There are also dummy coil rigs and other things you can do for super quiet operation while not sacrificing tone to the noiseless pickups.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Baja, but you have to try them all out first to make sure.

18. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

consider this choice;
    there's still quite a few Fender American special telecaster's available on reverb. if you can handle jumbo frets. 43 mm nut makes the neck very comfortable for me.22 frets
    this is now discontinued Jumbo frets which I prefer, highly rated guitar by most players $800-$900 highly flexible hot Texas special pickups easy to get into the thick power chords. very easy to get vintage telecaster twang.
    the middle position is hum canceling and mine seems to be very quiet for some reason.
    https://reverb.com/item/1731915-fen...ctric-guitar-maple-fingerboard-vintage-blonde

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.