Help Please - Which Tele Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by drutgat, Jul 22, 2019.

Which Tele?

1. Nashville Deluxe Tele

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. FSR Deluxe Tele

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Vintera 60s Tele Modified

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Classic Player Baja 60s Tele

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. Vintera 50s Tele Modified

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  6. Player Tele

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Hi,

Unfortunately for my wallet, I have decided that I need (not want, but need) a Tele.

In terms of electrics, I am a late convert to Fenders; until about 5 years ago I only had my beloved LP, and several other Epis. But since that time I have owned 5 Strats (still have 3), and now I need a Tele.

Even though I prefer a humbucker sound, I play my Strats mostly these days (but trying to get as thick a sound as possible).

Here are my requirements for a Tele:

1. Either 9.5” or 12” Fretboard radius (or anything in between)

2. Vintage Noiseless Pick Ups, or low noise (OR the ability to swap-out and replace with VN’s)

3. USD $1000

4. That ‘Classic’ Tele sound, but not so thin that it is painful when it snarls (on the bridge pick up)

Preferences (but not absolutely essential):

5. Locking Tuners

6. Many tonal options (e.g., S1 switch, 4 or 5 way switching) AS LONG
    AS IT DOES NOT COMPROMISE that Classic Tele sound.

7. Colour (blonde, natural, red, black, two tone)

8. 22 Frets

Teles I Have Been Considering:

· Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster – The ‘Winner’ on paper, but from
    what I have heard in demos online, I have not really heard that Classic Tele tone – but I could be wrong]

· Fender FSR Deluxe Telecaster [I would have to change out the PU’s]

· Fender Vintera 60s Telecaster Modified [I would have to change out
    the PU’s]

· Fender Classic Player Baja 60s Telecaster

· Fender Vintera 50s Telecaster Modified [I would have to change out the PU’s]

· Fender Player Telecaster [Change the PU’s]

If I am wrong thinking that the Deluxe Nashville Deluxe does not sound enough like a classic Tele, then I will go for the Nashville Deluxe.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

This is an easy one to answer. To get all those specs in the same telecaster, you build it. At least assemble it if you don't feel like becoming a wood worker. Just get yourself a good body that is already routed and drilled, add parts to your specs and voila, you have the exact tele that you want for probably around $700.

TeleTown, natec, AxemanVR and 3 others like this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

If you like old pine bodies, there is a local guy near me that sells some really nice pre-routed and mostly drilled bodies on ebay that I have seen first-hand. Good build quality, finished in nitro, and probably get it for less than a $100. Everything else is off the shelf stuff and you can amass it anyway that you want.

drutgat, nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I'd be interested to know who that is too!

TeleTown, nojazzhere and drutgat like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get the Player Series and buy an Oak-Grigsby 4-way switch ($11 with some shopping). You do know the pickups in those are Alnico 5 so most that fear ceramic don't need to auto-swap. I'd drive with the stock pickups in the guitar for awhile and then mod pots and caps first before swapping pickups.

On Strats, I'll mod them with the Armstrong Blender, the second tone knob blends between SSS and HSH. If you are looking for more tones to play. You might look into modding one of your three Strats to try it out.

RYAN1987M and drutgat like this.
  6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Those are all really nice Telecasters, the ones that you listed there.

The reality is this;
    You need to play every single Tele that you can get your hands on, and the one that really sings to you, while you play it with your own hands, THAT is the one you should get.

My opinion, and the opinions of all the rest of us, they don't mean jack-**** in the grand scheme of things.
    Really.

Play every single Tele that you can.
    You will know the right one when you feel it in your hands and hear it with your own ears.
    Trust me.

:)

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Welcome!

Well your specs are quite specific and I doubt you'll find that off the shelf as you're aware.

Hopefully some local sources so you can get a feel for the different necks and weight of the guitar. The Baja would be my vote BUT most have fat necks and are heavy and if you're gonna want to change pups and tuners.... find the one that feels right in your hands first of all.

I think you may find the classic vintage style pups will make you quite happy! There's things that can be done to eliminate noise if that's your concern. It took me a while to find the tone I liked on mine. I have a '58 AVRI and disliked the neck pup but finally got the amp and tone control where it's the sweetest tone ever! Point being Telecasters are weird till you get used to them!

I'd see if you can find a '52 AVRI of some vintage for the reissue classic tone and see what that does for you.

$1000 should get it done! While traveling I saw a used '52 AVRI at a GC for $1100....

TEX

DanDII and drutgat like this.
  8. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Me too. I'll take 2 at that price.

drutgat likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

In keeping with an earlier post, call Logan Guitars and see what he's got in that price range and fits your requirements.

drutgat likes this.
  10. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Buy a Schecter PT Special.

drutgat likes this.
  11. holndav

holndav Friend of Leo's

*Reads* "I need a Tele" and smiles...

It.Has.Begun!!!

Lmao

Build one
    Or
    If you can get your hands on a 60's RI or '62 RI, try that out and see if the pickups may not work for you
    Locking tuners might not be critical either if you have good quality ones.

drutgat and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply Milspec.

I was hoping to not have to assemble my own guitar.

The Nashville Deluxe should (on paper) meet all my needs (maybe a bit pricey), so I will go and play one, if I can find one, to see what it is like.

You never know, though, maybe I will end up building my own guitar.

13. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

That is an idea; can you either PM me, or post a link here to him?

The one difficulty might be that I am in Canada, and it costs a huge amount in duty to ship things here. Ebay gets me every time.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

14. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Yes, I was a little dismayed (and excited!) when I realized that I was going to type "I need a Tele" - you are right, it has begun :)

What are the RI Tele's (I will google it, actually)?

Yes, locking tuners are preferrable, but not essential.

Is it the case that most bona fide Teles have the same size routing for a given pick up (single coils) so that swapping PU's in and out is easy, or is there a lot of variation in the Tele 'Family" in this regard?

15. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

I will check that out.

Thanks, marcflores.

16. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

#1 - never trust a youtube demo. of all those guys, how many EVER have a good tone? Very, very few IMHO.

#2 - do you REALLY need a 22nd fret?!? is 21 not enough, or can you just bend it?

#3 - noiseless and tone are two words that never meet. You can minimize noise, but smothering a single coil is killing it's soul.

#4 - I would recommend a '72 reissue with wide range humbucker pickups. (not sure about radius)

#5 - why don't you buy a Squier Classic Vibe 50s in butterscotch for $250 used, play it a while and see if you really like the Tele platform first... you can always sell it and buy another. Or butcher it as you see fit, you're not out much.

17. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Thanks for this, jvin248.

Very good info., and thought provoking.

I will look into all that you suggest.

18. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Thanks nojazzhere.
    I will do that, but predict that the import prices to me (Canada) will be prohibitively expensive.

19. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

Teles are easy to mod-go play a bunch, buy the one that feels the best and put locking tuners and new electronics into it. Every guitar store is gonna have at least 5 or 10 and honestly the most important thing is how you gell with the particular instrument.

drutgat likes this.
  20. drutgat

drutgat TDPRI Member

Hi Rumblr.

Thanks for this.

Rest assured, YouTube was just a first foray into the many, many hours of research and playing that I will be doing.

As I said in my original post, 22nd. fret was a preference, not something essential.

You could be right about the best tone coming from single coils which are not noiseless, but one of my Strats has great PU's in it which are pretty quiet - must take it apart to see what they are because I have an identical Strat that sounds very different.

Humbuckers? Really? I do love humbuckers, but presumed that they would kill that single coil Tele goodness (I quite like some of the PU's in my Strats; still adapting to single coils).

I will take a look at the '72 reissue, though.

Squier Classic Vibe - it's 7.25" I think, and I had a Strat CV 7.25" at one point, and just could not get along with it.

And I thought that the pick guards and pick up routing and so on were different on the Squiers, making swapping parts in and out much more difficult.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.