Help please, strangest pedal fault ever (and its Boss!!!)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by cowie86, Aug 11, 2019.

1. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

This has really got me stumped. I recently bought a Boss LM-2 on Ebay and just got chance to test it this evening.

At first it sounded great, tapped it off, played clean, tapped it back on, sounded like there was some background noise this time, tapped it off again, more direct playing (sounded fine), tapped it back on and there was definitely some background distortion on the notes.

If I go away and come back the process repeats.

I'm now playing guitar > lm-2 (running on a 9v battery) > clean channel of solid state Marshall and the problem is still there.

I got in touch with the guy I bought it from and from and he said it was probably oxidisation because it had been stored for so long. He suggested spraying WD40 in the input and output jacks, switch and aca input and working them in and out. Hasn't fixed things.

Has anyone heard this before?!

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Jacks do get surprisingly dirty. I use a Q tip doused with contact cleaner (alcohol probably work fine) and wipe the barrel and the tip contact in there. Sometimes they come out quite dirty.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't use WD-40. And yes, pedals can have jacks oxidize sitting around. Alcohol on a Q-Tip as mentioned above would probably the first thing to do. Then take the cable and plug and unplug it about 50 times in both the input and output jacks.

karpis and radiocaster like this.
  4. Benn

Benn TDPRI Member

Same thing happens to me when batteries are dying. Have you tried a PSU?

5. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Hi Ben, yeah I bought a new Boss ACA spec adapter to use with it but I'm getting the same problem with that. I might buy a brand new 9v battery today just to be double sure

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of Boss pedals don't work with newer adapters if you use it as the only adapter, although they'll work fine if you use several pedals at the same time with the same adapter.

Also, did you try adjusting the volume knobs on the pedal to see if that's the cause?

7. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Just in case anyone has this problem in future and comes across this thread...

SOLUTION: adapter was faulty and battery was old. Tried with a brand new 9v battery send the oral worked fine.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

8. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

I've always wondered if that Limiter pedal was good. What do you think of it? How does it compare to compression, like a Boss CS-3?

9. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Hi Radio, yeah I tried adjusting all knobs. The pedal sounded fine with a fresh 9v but didn't sound good when run off the new ACA adapter.

I'm pretty sure either the power socket on the pedal is oxidised and not conducting enough power from the adapter or the adapter is faulty. I can't test running more pedals off the adapter or test the adapter on another pedal as this new LM-2 is my only pedal that runs off an ACA adapter. :(

10. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Hiya Paul, I've not had much chance to play around with it as I'm still trying to resolve the powering problem. I did use it briefly with a new 9v battery though it was very organic sounding while still giving a clearly compressed/limited sound.

I've never used the CS-3 but I had the CS-2 briefly and wasn't impressed at all. The compression in the CS-2 was so subtle that you could spin the knobs in all directions and not really get any noticeably different change in sound. The only Boss pedal I've ever returned. The LM-2 is much nicer sounding and more useable.

I've heard great things about the CS-3 though and there's various companies offering aftermarket mods to further improve it. I hope that's some help.

paulblackford likes this.
  11. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I brought 3 NEW delay pedals home from the store. All 3 had slightly distorted delays. My ol' Boss Rev 5 didn't. So I just use that now.

But I bought a Voodoo lab power supply. so i'll try a Carbon Copy or Flashback soon maybe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.