Help please, I bought a fake FMT HH, is any part real?

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by ML1975, Jan 15, 2020.

1. ML1975

ML1975 TDPRI Member

Hello Tele-sages of TDPRI!

I let myself be scammed and bought what I thought was a Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH Crimson Red.

It looked nice and shiny, intact etc. The serial sort of matched what is was supposed to be ICF13000217

When I got home I plugged it in I found out it couldn't coil split and had strange tuners. On closer inspection, the switch, strap buttons, string trees, knobs, pickup frames were all cheap substitutes.

I had a hope that perhaps the body itself and the pickups might turn out usable. But when I looked under them, they didn't seem like 59's and Pearly Gates - but I havn't seen alot of pickups. I've attached images. The electronics cavity doesn't look promising either, images attached.

Is there any chance the pickups or body could be real? i not, any clue what they might be?

And do people really produce fake Fender FMT HH telecasters? :/

electronics.jpg
    59.jpg 59b.jpg

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I'm pretty sure that pickup is fake, unless I'm mistaken they should be stamped with the SD logo underneath and it just looks kinda cheap.

RodeoTex likes this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Squier made a model that looks just the Fender, or close enough. It was made in Indonesia.

FWIW, the Fender ones were only mid-range, cost about what a MIM standard cost, and were made in Indonesia only after the production moved form Korea. I'm not sure what quality you expected, but top-notch was NEVER a part of that model.

I also just went and put your serial number into the Fender online gizmo. Based on that, the guitar is exactly what it is purported to be.

Capture.JPG

4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

... and yeah, China will make fake anything.

5. backporchmusic

Right, China faked that...the most outlandish, least possible explanation is always the truth, right?

The serial number checks out.

The pickup looks exactly as it should, with the SD stamp on it. There's a chance someone subbed out parts but I'd say maybe not. It's just that those guitars were...meh.

Festofish, Chunkocaster and moosie like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Occam's razor. No money in faking something so low end, I'd think.

skunqesh likes this.
  7. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I'm not saying that, I was answering the question was "do people really produce fake Fender FMT HH telecasters?"

I'm not a SD expert but none of the SD pickups I've had have had that kind of baseplate with the circled N on it.

8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

... or a red wire for that matter.

9. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Seymour Duncan would have a label under it according to their website. https://www.seymourduncan.com/faqs/labels-built-in-or-after-2002

Do you suspect the whole guitar is fake or it is a real fender that had the parts stripped and changed for cheaper parts? If you post pics of the whole guitar this forum can probably answer that.

10. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

These are Pearly Gates

PG.jpg

and this is what a 59 looks like

61rsOrqrI4L._SL1050_.jpg

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  11. ML1975

ML1975 TDPRI Member

Thank you for your responses!

I understnad that the info I've given so far makes it not being a fake possible. I've attached an image of the front, where I think that the tone knobs placement is wrong?

Also, the strap-buttons are plastic, the switch plastic, the tuners seem like harley benton tuners, the pickup frames are very high and plastic.

Thanks for the images of the underside of 59 and pearly gates, it sure seems like it isn't them (and it is supposed to be)

front.jpg

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I hate to say it but I think you may have been taken.

That pickup looks like a chinese knockoff. As many have said the base plate should have the information stamped on it, and that stencil on top looks like a hack job.

Also I do not know for certain but it does not appear to have a push/pull pot or a full size pot for that matter which I think a real fender would have.

My guess is someone salvaged the tuners, the pots and the pups, and replaced them with lower level parts and then sold the guitar for below market value making you think you got a deal.
    The bits that they took off would bring probably a couple of hundred dollars as parts on top of what they sold the guitar to you for. Win/win for the seller, lose for you.

13. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Here's the best picture I could find of the neck pickup on an FMT HH. I don't see the bulls-eye target pattern on the pole pieces that yours have. But you can send your pictures to Seymour Duncan and they'll tell you if the pickups are fakes. They look fake to me - that N in a circle looks familiar from cheap chinese pickups I've bought (that still sounded really good though).

SD_59.jpg

Si G X likes this.
  14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

that rear knob is nowhere near where it should be according to that picture in the search result above? It looks about 2 inchs too far back unless it's just the angle or something...

15. ML1975

ML1975 TDPRI Member

16. backporchmusic

The serial, overall look and very distinctive abalone/pearl inlays would indicated that the guitar is a MII Fender.

Perhaps you can find someone who actually has one MII to open the back panel and get a pic of the wiring. If the wire color matches, then hopefully someone will pull a pickup so you can see the backside of it.

Since we have no idea what year model Fender uses on their file pic for that guitar to compare knob placement--Yours is a 2013 model. Maybe an Duncan expert can say where this model was advertised as sold with USA Duncans 7 years ago?

Fretting out likes this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree this seems pretty much the likely scenario, unfortunately

18. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but there is no way those pickups came out of the SD factory- different magnets, different Font to the name...and generally cheap and shoddy looking by comparison.

Real Duncan....
    upload_2020-1-15_21-46-41.png

compared to yours...
    upload_2020-1-15_21-48-8.png .......by the way...Welcome to TDPRI.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    sugarinthegourd, AndyPanda and Si G X like this.
  19. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Here's one at Sweetwater
    FMT_HH.jpg

Si G X likes this.
  20. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I hate to say it, but in addition to the pickups looking like knock-offs, going by stock photos of FMT HH models:

-knob placement is wrong
    -control cavity looks too small. The stock photos online seem to have 4 screws, and the plate looks larger
    -cheap mini pots and components
    -shape of the upper bout/horn looks wrong

Not sure what recourse you have but I would go back to the seller if at all possible. Failing that, you still may be able to make a good guitar out of it. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.