Help placing handles on 2x12 speaker cab build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by itsGiusto, Sep 16, 2021.

1. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

I've been working for a while finishing a raw 2x12 cab I have. I'm pretty proud of what I have so far!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For my next step, I want to place metal recessed handles on the side, but I can't figure out how to best do it. Where do I place them for optimal usability? How do I measure it out?

One thing I'm unsure of, is whether this cab is too small for recessed handles (dimensions: 29" width, 17.5" height, 12" deep). Should I just use top-handles instead?

In these photos, the white paper is the area I'll need to cut out of the cab to place the handles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Telekarster, 24 track and Coffeemutt like this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

As long as the section of the handle that goes inside the cab doesn't touch a speaker, why not?

3. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

Well, I'm not sure how high is high enough to place the recessed handle. The 17.5" height of the cab seems like maybe it might be a little small. I'm worried if once I place it in, the center of gravity of the cabinet and speakers is above where the bar of the handle is, especially since the bar of the handle is so low in the recessed handle. If that's the case, it might be really tough to carry it without it being top-heavy and wobbling over while carrying. I'm uncertain how high I could or should go with the recessed handles.

4. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

in my not so humble opinion, those handles are mufugly and over kill. I'd use simple strap handles.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I recently got an Atomic Reactor 18w combo, which looks to be about the same size as your cabinet. I wanted to put recessed handles on it (my 50w Atomic has them), but like you, I( wasn't sure how much I'd need to cut to get them installed.

As an alternative, I bought a pair of these. They work great, even if they aren't as aesthetically pleasing.

[​IMG]

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

Oh, why don't you like them? Do you think just these look bad, or all marshall-style recessed handles?

I'm worried about strap handles because:
    1. It might end up being kinda heavy. I'm using an EVM12L-style speaker for one of the speakers, which is quite heavy
    2. I want to be able to put an amp head on top of the cab. Top, strap handles might get in the way.

Telekarster likes this.
  7. Vocalion

Vocalion Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you're still really wanting to go with recessed handles, I would opt for handles much smaller that are installed close to the top of the cabinet on each side, so close to the top that you would be able to put your thumbs on top of the cabinet when lifting it.

8. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

Do you have any recommendations?

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a marshall 1922 2 X 12 cab with the same handles you have and it works fine , Mine is loaded with celestians and works great.

f3f13e87-96f5-4c6a-9dcc-b9e7824118eb.jpg

Telekarster likes this.
  10. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Afflicted

I'd save those Marshall style recessed handles for a vertical 2x12. At least that's the conclusion I came to when I bought a pair for a horizontal 2x12 of mine.

11. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

I just looked up the Marshall 1922, seems like it's a little taller than my cab. 20.3" tall vs my cab's 17.5". Maybe my cab really is too small, since it seems like for the 1922, the handles are quite large already, compared to the cab.

24 track likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the 1922 is 19.5 inches tall

the handle starts 5.5" from the bottom and 3.25" from the top . if that helps at all

Nice job on the box BTW

Telekarster and itsGiusto like this.
  13. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

They take away from the aesthetics of the cabinet, They are overkill, Three strap handles like the ones on an old Dual Showman cabinet will be more than enough to carry the weight.

I don't like the Marshall handles either.

itsGiusto likes this.
  14. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

Can you show me a picture of what you have in mind? I'm Googling around but I can't seem to find any pictures of dual showman cabs with 3 handles. I'd like to see what the handle type is, and the layout of the 3 handles.

Edit:
    Maybe something like these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  15. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I am familiar with this speaker and yes, they are VERY heavy. About 20 lbs if I recall, so yeah... you need some good handles that will last. Nice cab BTW! Great speakers too! I personally like the recessed handles and I think they're going to look fine, and they'll do the job too. I also think that where you have the paper template on your cab should likewise be ok too. As long as you have the room in the interior so that they don't interfere with your speakers, you should be good to go. As far as the handle part is concerned, it doesn't look to me like it matters which way they go does it? If so then you can try the handle one way and, if you don't like the way that feels, take it out and flip it the other way... if you see what I mean. Good luck man! I dig the vox cloth and purple! Are you going with chrome or black corners?

itsGiusto likes this.
  16. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

Thanks! I've got chrome corners ready to go, Fender SF style, like this:
    [​IMG]
    I mean for this cab to be mostly for my Dumble clone head I built, so I'm trying to mostly stick to that Dumble sort of aesthetic, and I saw most of the Dumble cabs had these Fender-style chrome corners.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Telekarster likes this.
  17. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ah ha!!! I suspected as much ;) I did the exact same thing! LOL!!! Yeah those EV speakers are BEASTS so you need some really good handles that aren't gonna break over time etc. Last thing in the world you want is to accidentally drop that baby with those EV's in it! Ouch!!! Good choice on the corners man! That baby is gonna be sweet!

itsGiusto likes this.
  18. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

That is a sweet looking cabinet!

itsGiusto likes this.
  19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Nice job on your cabinet!

I don't understand why more heavy cabs and combos don't come with side handles, like PA speakers usually have.

They're so much easier to carry that way, rather than lifted straight up with one top strap handle.

itsGiusto and Telekarster like this.
  20. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I would go with the marshall style handles that you have.
    I put those flappy handles that filp up to carry and found that they rattle and have to tape them down to use the cab.

Nice Vox meets Dumble look that you have going on there . . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.