Help picking a phaser please

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sjturbo, Jul 23, 2018.

1. sirnoel

sirnoel Tele-Meister

I really like the Phase Royal from BYOC. It's around $85, I think, but it does everything you will every need a phaser to do and sounds great. It's also a kit, so you have to built it yourself or find one on the use market. But thats the best value for money option in my option.

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Phase 95!! Does about everything well, small, true bypass. Nuff said.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Personally I like the "holy-crap-the-world-is-splitting-apart" phase sounds. My Korg AX1G is great for that, especially when combined with extreme delay and trem

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had an old Phase 90 for years block logo w script circuit. Sold it and got a newer RI Script Phase 90 w true bypass and ac power jack, to me it sounds as good as the vintage pedal plus it is true bypass and has the power input.

The Phase 95 is interesting though, might have to check one out sometime.

The "best" sounding phase shifter IME is the old Maestro unit with 3 preset speeds but they are huge, AC powered and definitely color your signal when bypassed. Supposedly the Heptode Phaser is a modern take on that unit.

Phase 90 is hard to beat , easy to use , sounds good pretty much anywhere you set the knob.

5. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I have a MXR Phase 90 (Block, newer) which was on my main board for years. Love it, but recently changed to the Whirlwind Orange Box which is made in USA, true bypass and designed by the guy that created the original Phase 90. Dig it. Also have the Moorer Orange 90 on my fly board which does a great job, and a DOD Phase 201 which is more like a MXR Phase 45 and is more subtle sounding. Use that one on bass for the Stranglehold and Roger Waters Animals sounds.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    ndcaster and telemnemonics like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a few old Phase 90s and 45s, a script RI Phase 90, a Maxon one knob, and a Whirlwind Orange box like RustleFuzz mentioned.
    The Whirlwind is the one I use.

Listen closely and some either get overly bassy at one end of the sweep or thin trebly at the other end.
    The Script RI and the Orange box nail the balance perfectly.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  7. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I've had my early 80's EHX Smallstone for years. One knob and a switch that I never use. Perfect for my keep it simple stupid method of doing things. It sounds great for what I need it for, a touch of color on some leads or giving something that "Breathe" by Pink Floyd type of swirl. The only downside is it doesn't have an LED so sometimes I need to bend down in front of my amp to make sure I turned it off. It's also quite large.

8. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

bluesholyman and Slip Kid like this.
  9. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Hate to threadjack, but....

Why does no one ever use the MXR Phase 100? The only guy I've ever seen with one was a keyboard player I knew.

10. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Not cheap, or compact, but the Moog MF103 Phaser is top of the line, IMO. Extremely versatile, amazing analog sound quality, low noise floor. And it'll work 'stereo' between multiple amps using the 'Aux' Output.

[​IMG]

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I have these two. Mostly the MXR gets the toe tap. The 2-stage DOD kinda gets lost in the mix live. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I don’t know if this will help, but phaser pedals for guitar fall can be organized by a couple of factors: number of stages (basically how deep and resonant the sound), and the implementation method (JFET, OTA, opto,…)

The Phase 45 is a 2 stage phaser, Phase 90, Univibe, and Small Stone are 4 stage, Bad Stone is 6. Phase 95 is two or four stage depending on the mode. The number of stages dictates how “phasey” and deep the effect is. 2 stage phasers are subtle, and it gets more pronounced as you add more stages.

The Phase 45, 90, 95, and descendants are JFet based circuits, while the Small Stone, and Bad Stone are OTA based. Univibe is an LDR optical system. The implementation scheme changes the character of the phase. JFETs apparently tend to add a little more harmonic content, while OTAs are more neutral. The univibe style LDR based phasers produce a more pronounced asymmetry in their phasing which can make them sound more throbby.

RG Keen’s page on phasers is a good summary of the details

zippofan and JayFreddy like this.
  13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Bad Stone
    First pedal I ever bought back in 1980
    I still have it. I decided since I started playing out to buy the new one in the smaller box. Works almost as well. Never liked the Phase 90

14. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

This is a good one:

[​IMG]

Might cost a hundred bucks or so.

It does Flanging and it does chorus. But it's phaser is to die for.

15. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

upload_2018-7-23_21-22-43.jpeg
    This one seemed to work well against certain aliens.

Sorry, couldn’t help it

bluesholyman, RLee77 and con brio like this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

The Smallstone is the go-to for keyboardists. And simple is the key word you used. Its sound quality is outstanding.

I have the much cheaper Behringer Vintage Phaser clone, and it's just about the exact same pedal, with some reviewers preferring it over the Stone.

And yeah. They're big.

But just 25 freaking bucks. Check the YT reviews on it:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/behringer-vp1-vintage-phaser-effects-pedal

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    DeanEVO_Dude likes this.
  17. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

The thing I like about the Phase 95 is the versatility. I use the Phase 90 script setting the most, some Phase 45. And does the country phaser thing in Phase 90 block mode slowed way down. I had the Mooer, this is better. Had the new DOD, this is better in the 45 modes. The only phaser I've had that came close was an Option 5 Destination Phase but sold it years ago.

18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Great pedal, I have one too. I consider it more of a uni-vibe type pedal,,,but I like it!
    I use a MXR Phase 90 for a phaser.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Only one so far you can set to "stun".

El Famoso likes this.
  20. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Does this have some sort of mode setting that isn’t visible in the photo?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.