1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help pick me a pedal for Christmas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Nov 30, 2020.

1. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

I want a Rat and an OCD so these have my vote too :)

Another fun one would be a Boss Dimension C. It is a great chorus and a lot of fun.

2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

1.MXR Super Comp

2. Topanga Reverb (Do not get that Boss/Fender pedal, it’s horrible)

3. Tremolo (the Boss is fine or for a bit more money Catalinbread Valcoder)

That’s what I’d get, but I already have the Super Comp.

Bonus recommendation:
    4. Wampler Mini Tumnus
    5. Xotic EP Booster

Tele56 and Old Plank like this.
  3. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

One more vote for the mighty Tremolo ... lots of great applications, from all out Bo Diddley beat and surf, to woozy psychedelic, and slow-and-subtle on moodier numbers. In my case, the EHX Stereo Pulsar; there's many more sophisticated/pricier options but this one serves me well, and at a reasonable "stocking stuffer" price the wifey will appreciate!

https://www.ehx.com/products/stereo-pulsar

4. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Ah ok so your amps have tremolo already, so .... a Tumnus mini OD is a different animal than other ODs you may have; and even better will take up only the big toe of your Xmas stocking! lots of room left for chocolate and playing cards.

5. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Jack White/Third Man has some interesting stuff that is out of the ordinary. I like the octave one with the telegraph switches. Spendy though.

Cheers,
    Geoff

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

+1 for Boss Dimension C

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

957e0df4-b022-4687-9833-97043dcffa8b.JPG Source Audio Orbital Modulator. It's got a ton of modulation effects with two presets. Plus it's not huge on your board.

Telecasterless likes this.
  9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

yeah, you know I just don't want more of the same. No more distortion or overdrives, I got that covered. I just got my Mythos Golden Fleece and feel like I got fleeced for $139. BORING. Sounds like a fuzzy OD. I returned the MXR super badass variac, not happy with that. The fuzzes sound just like a variant of Dist/OD. I'm not into chasing the nuance of different types of the same pedal. That's why I was asking about way out there, totally different sounds. Just one pedal of each is all I really want.

You guys have been helpful. Sounds like Phase, Chorus, Trem, Echoplex (isn't this same as MXR carbon copy, sort of?) compressor (?), or EQ are mostly pedals that go in a different direction than what I have.

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

earthquaker grand orbiter. you just can't go wrong with this one. i doubt i will ever buy another phaser or uni-vibe.

11. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

TC Electronics Flashback Delay (or a copy from Amazon like the Coolmusic Echolation). It’s got a bunch of different delay variations, and it can do the reverse signal stuff to get weird Hendrix-like sounds.

12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

Digital Larry likes this.
  13. pi

pi Tele-Meister

You play rock but only listed an overdrive on your current list. Sounds like you need a distortion.

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

15. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

This question is just red meat for guitar forum geeks. Are you sure you're not just trolling us? Kidding.

Since you have some effects, and many of these suggestions are just variations of the usual, maybe a multi-effect to see what else you like? You could have a LOT o' fun with the M5 or M9 (which is old and likely available for cheap) or the Eventide H9 (which is shockingly expensive) or something along those lines. I have an M9, and there are an absolute ton of fun things you can do with that. Many of the sounds in there are still excellent. Particle 'verb? Sub-octave fuzz? Multi-tap delay? Modulation effects up the wazoo? Built-in looper?

Merry non-denominational pan-religious holidays!

16. Telecasterless

I have 2 but don't really use them. The OD has a boost, so there's enough distortion there for me, for now.

17. Telecasterless

No trolling here, been around this place for a spell.
    I didn't want to overdo the question. Agreed, it begs for all kinds of answers, but man, I'm freaking bored with my sound, but I'm particular. So I thought you boys would find something I've never used, but would enjoy playing with for a while. Because I don't use a lot of pedals, I don't really know what I want, and I don't spend time on youtube listening to a million pedals, I don't like to spend my time that way.
    So I've got some ideas from you all where I will go listen to a few pedals and see what is worth taking a stab at. I will explore your suggestion as well.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  18. Tele56

Tele56 Tele-Holic

If the OP wants to add a new sound then a MXR Phase 90 or 95 or possibly a chorus pedal could round out the modulation side. If the OP wants to add to his existing sound a Timmy (preferably a Paul Cochrane model) or Tumnus would work. To add to the choices since a Tele is the main axe a compressor with a blend knob (Keeley Comp Plus) kills with a Tele....FWIW

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    RadioFM74 and Telecasterless like this.
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

A nice Tremolo. Go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.