1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help pick me a pedal for Christmas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

My wife's trying to pick me a gift for xmas. And as much as I would like to put a guitar on the list...well, I don't need another and in the end, I'm paying for it.

So a nice little stocking stuffer would be a fun pedal. But I have no idea what I need. Can you guys help me? I have a wah, an overdrive, a fuzz, a delay and looper. I don't really know what I am missing but would love something I've never had but MUST have. Reverb is on the amps, so what are your top 3 that I need that I don't already have?

What is a game changer? Chorus, flanger, phase, compressor, something more exotic? I play rock n' roll mostly.

19sixty3 likes this.
  2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

3. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Assuming three new fuzzes is not under consideration, I'd go for something like MXR's Phase 95.

4. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Chorus, then phaser, in order of must-have, imo.

5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not a pedal person, but the usual pedal that is said to be a “must “ is a compressor

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

You're not giving us much to go on, are you? :p

Tell us everything!
    - What music do you play, what music might you want to explore
    - What guitar(s) amp(s) and pedals do you have… none of that "an overdrive" nonsense: as a minimum brand, model, year, person who assembled it and smell (yes, smell too).
    - Is there any of your pedals that makes you think "mmmmh yeah but I might like something different there"?

Based on the scanty information you provide, and on my tastes, I'd get a vintage-y modulation pedal: phaser (that'd be my pick), Uni-Vibe, or Rotary, or Flanger depending on what music you like. I don't much like Chorus, but that's also an option of course. Or maybe a VERY GOOD multi-modulation pedal (although I am increasingly averse to such things: I prefer one excellent sound over ten good ones).

Of course you can also decide that you are not a modulation guy, and that you rather want a nicer delay, or OD, or fuzz, or… There are at least 5-6 fundamentally different OD pedals around, and if (e.g.) you don't have a Bluesbreaker-type that could be a great investment. It's a massive rabbit hole!

In the "extremely unsexy but useful pedalboard gifts" you might consider getting a good isolated power supply and (in case you don't have it) a board to velcro your pedals on.

PS: sorry for being indelicate, but … are you still "telecaster-less"? I mean, the fact that you style yourself as such means that there is a gaping hole in your life, and Christmas is a time for new beginnings…

7. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

EQ pedal...

8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

+1 on a good vibe pedal (instant Jimi/Trower tone) or quality compressor with a Blend control.

EQ pedal was an excellent suggestion too. There are several now which offer presets; this multiplies their versatility.

If you're getting your core drive tone from a tube amp rather than pedals, a Rangemaster (or similar) is well worth considering. Ironic that a so-called treble booster makes your drive tone richer.

Myself, I wouldn't be at home without a great chorus. Neunaber Inspire is a very good one but even a run-of-the-mill Boss can do fine. I used my 1980 Ibanez chorus for more than ten years before discovering multichorus in the early 90s.

Finally, an Echoplex-preamp pedal (a real one like the ClinchFX or Chase Tone, not one of the cheap ones that basically are just an EQ). The frequency-dependent phase realignment is subtle, but it just makes everything a little sweeter and better-defined. It's often said about these that you don't even really notice the effect until you accidentally turn it off, but then you immediately want it back on.

Tele56 and Telecasterless like this.
  9. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

Boss are announcing a new Waza Craft pedal on 2nd December, so I will be waiting to see what it is. If it's something I'm interested in, it will be going on my list.

You can't go wrong with Boss pedals and the Waza series are another level.

Pedals however are subjective and the need for pedals varies dependant on what music you play, how you play, what amps you use, do you play live or are you a home player etc.

10. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I play classic rock, lots of Zep etc - My only 'always on' pedal is an Echoplex EP101 - I *love* this pedal. My other which is nearly always on is a Phase 90. Totally recommend the 2.

Other than that I frequently use a Wampler Plexi Drive and a Tumnus - both fantastic pedals.

Tele56 and Telecasterless like this.
  11. Telecasterless

Thanks, I didn't want to bore everyone with too much detail. After all, it's just one pedal. Sometimes not knowing everything is half the fun. Let's say I do have a Tele and the pedals are MXR carbon copy, Fulldrive and Cry Baby and amps are Silverface DR and VR, Marshall and Vox. There you go.
    I'm just looking for one pedal to rule them all, or, not really, just something that you all think is sorely missing and would be a fun addition to what I've got so far. No, don't really want more of the same, don't want to go down that hole, don't like fiddling with knobs too much, just like to play guitar, in my garage, jamming with neighbors who play and occasionally play parties. That's what I'm about.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I would recommend the following two pedals, in order of importance.

Both are game changers, once you get used to using them.

The Tuner becomes your primary first stop before each set, and the Compressor opens up new worlds of sonic options, when used sparingly. (Avoid it being the 'always on' pedal, because that can work against you sometimes.)

You will spend about 99 bucks on either of them, though you can go cheaper on the poly-tune and get the one without the buffer technology.

:)

polytune3.jpg boss compressor.jpg

13. Telecasterless

Ah thanks, should have mentioned that I have a tuner, but didn't as it's rather perfunctory. The compressor seems to be a popular option. Interesting that the gamut of must have pedals seem to generally include, compressor, phase, chorus or echoplex-type. Hmm. Subtle pedals to be sure, but obviously popular choices. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I will let my wife decide and surprise me! Make her do the pedal reviews;)

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Well, for a "fun addition" I'd get a classic phaser. I have a MXR Phase 90 "Script" reissue in the mail and will let you know!

I have yet to be bitten by the compressor or EQ bug… one thing at a time!

Tele56 likes this.
  15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You’ve got no modulation man! Grab a chorus/phaser/Flanger. Danelectro18v Cool Cat/Ehx Bad Stone/Boss BF-3 do it for me. All relatively inexpensive. Or for the heck of it a Whammy. Ehx Pog is a fun addition as well. Oh man I almost forgot my new fave the Pinwheel by Fender! Awesome rotary padal!!! It’s got an onboard drive section for that grinding organ sound...no the other grinding organ sound.

2GoneDE and Telecasterless like this.
  16. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

My latest addition was a MXR 10 band eq. After 20 years of floor processors, I'm back to pedals and it's just so much easier to turn a knob than wade through page after page of menus. The EQ with level and drive sliders can act as a boost as well. 2nd recommendation would be a Keeley Compressor plus.

Tele56 and Festofish like this.
  17. Huey666

Huey666 Tele-Meister

When you say you play rock n roll, do you mean like old-style 50s rock n roll (Elvis, Chuck Berry etc) or just rock music generally? Cos if its the former I’d definitely recommend a tremolo pedal.

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps... it's time to jump into the modeler bandwagon?

HX Stomp, Headrush Gigboard, or the Boss GT-1000CORE. Or, you may start with the Boss GT-1.

19. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

My top picks for xmas would be...
    1. Klone - Centaur
    If that‘s a way out of budget?

1.1 RYRA - The Klone

2. Victory - The Sheriff preamp pedal

3. Peterson - StroboStomp

Old Plank likes this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah if it were me I'd def need trem in that setup

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.