1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help on the Telecaster FMT

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by premier1, Jun 12, 2015.

1. premier1

premier1 TDPRI Member

I've been seeing a Limited Edition FMT Telecaster out there. It has Symour Duncan pick ups in it and is selling for I believe $699. My question is am I seeing binding on this guitar? I believe I am also seeing it's from Indonesia. I love Seymour Duncan pick ups and I actually owned an FMT about 10 years ago and I did like it. Any input on your feelings on this guitar would be appreciated.

2. tomb68

tomb68 TDPRI Member

I think "special edition" is a bit much. They've been making these (w/Duncan's) for quite a while and probably will for years to come. You can find them used for a good price too if you are willing to be patient. I like these in-spite of them being the Les Paul of the Fender line-up. There are some used American made one's floating around as well for about a grand. YMMV.

3. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

Yes, there's binding on them.
    I'd agree to look used. In the UK, they sell used for around half retail.
    I had one briefly (wasn't for me). Thinner body than a normal tele, but very well made

4. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

I have one, it's a 2007 made in Korea at time. It's a nice build, sound is kind of sg'ish. It is thin and have a real skinny neck. The fret board is flat like pool table.

Cheers
    L-zr

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Neck is a very flat 15.75" radius.
    Great pickup combination of SD Pearly Gates and '59 and coil tap push-pull switch.

6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I had one for a short time. Traded it in for my MIA Tele.

Very thin neck, reminded me of a shredder type neck. Just couldn't bond with it.

7. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

I own an FMT as well as several other teles, cabronitas both stock and with tv jones, American etc. I'd say the FMT makes most gigs. It's eye appealing, light weight, resonant, plays easy, great pickups with a usable coil tap.

I used to think I could only play big ole boat necks due to arthritis in my hand. Surprisingly, this thin neck is ever so comfortable and causes no pain. ????

I like the guitar very much, was bought on a whim when my wife noticed it and said, "isn't that pretty?" Totally not my usual desire, but it's become my number 1 or 2

8. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

The top and neck are bound.

[​IMG]

9. eddy8dynamite

eddy8dynamite TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have one of the Indonesia made ones. This one's got DiMarzio pickups and a mahogany body with a set neck - weighs just a little over 5 pounds. The tolerances on everything are very tight and the finish is gorgeous. The nice thing about it is that the tone control has a push-pull switch on it that splits each humbucker, so you can switch to a single coil setup in the middle of a song.
    Odd thing is that because it's got such a nice finish, I hardly play it for fear of dinging it up.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the production was transferred from Korea to Indonesia in around 2008.

The per unit cost of manufacture went way down as a result.

MSRP had it competing with some pretty nice guitars. People sometimes paid a good bit and sometimes got them new and inexpensive. Used, they're very very inexpensive.

They're a shredder's guitar, to me. Nice looking, neck is way way too thin.

11. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    Mine was made in Korea, and has Fender PU's (Atomic II in the bridge and Black Canyon in the neck position), not the SD ones. I thought I was going to have to swap out the PU's but I really like the stock PU's. I bought mine in 2004 for around $500 at Alto Music in Wappingers Falls, NY (they always have cheaper prices than the big online stores like Musician's Friend, American Musical Supply and Guitar Center). This guitar was offered in blue transparent just for a short while, and I was lucky enough to get one. I love everything about this guitar....the looks, playability, sound, the light weight, thinner body, binding on the body and neck, set neck (pretty hard to find on a Fender), Push/Pull Coil select, and the ability to have a Tele sound a little more like a LP. In my opinion, it is one of the best values in a guitar.

12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Snagged this 2010 model two weeks ago (was wanting a Tele with an H/H setup):

[​IMG]

Here's the demo that convinced me to pull the trigger:

I agree with a previous post about the '59 Reverse Wound/Pearly Gates Plus pickups in this Tele! VERY sweet combo!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  13. xjbebop

xjbebop Tele-Meister

As long as you realize it's not a normal Tele you can appreciate what a fabulous guitar these are...

At least our spalty one is...

Attached Files:

14. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I had one for about a week. Returned it. Loved the pickups. Hated the flat and skinny neck. Back it went. Bought an Am. Std. Tele instead.

15. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

a gold top just sold today an ebay for $425

16. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

I have lots of guitars, American Tele, Cabronita's with TV Jones, etc etc...but I'm only a mediocre player...

It's my number one from an electric perspective...

17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I have been wanting one of those for a while. Not too many come up here for sale. I have seen them from 450-600 dollars on CL. Not sure where they were made, I thought it was Japan. But I agree with xjbebop that as long as you realize it's not your conventional Tele then try one out. I'm flexible on the necks. There has got to be something I can play on it. Only thing is I usually see just red ones and I don't want a red one. Those spalted ones are tasty.

18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Check Ebay and Reverb.com - and be patient. You find a nice one in the $400-500 range (paid $455/shipped for my 2010 spalted). Production on the FMTs moved from Korea to Indonesia in 2008. Also, there were different pickup sets used in these models - my faves are the SD '59/Pearly Gates combo. As far as color goes, the Spalted and the Amber FMT's are the best looking, IMHO.

Good luck!

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks FG53! And good luck premier1, don't try to outbid my on ebay okay? lol

20. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

This be the very same model/finish in mint condition that I traded an Ibanez Artcore for the other day. I have plans to install B/G/A benders on it this coming week and also add a hex pickup for synth. The ONLY complaint I have is the MOP dots are hard to see in a dim "club setting". I have plans to put block inlays in the neck, too. Glaucoma sux....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.