Help on guitar tone: Live recording of my telecaster

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by rooboo, Aug 26, 2019.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

We recorded an live album and I'm not too happy about the tone.
    Any suggestions on what to do?

I played my partstelecaster "no9". Swampash body, maple neck, Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue in the bridge and a SD Vintage for Tele in the neck. Trough a Boss SD1 set fairly low and then straigt into a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissie. Recorded with a Sennheiser MD421 microphone. (And some house mics to pick up the room vibe of course.)

You can hear the tone really well here. What do you guys think? I'm not 100 happy – it sounds a bit "hard" I think. What do you suggest I'd do to soften the tone up? Mod the guitar or swap up the pedalboard…?

https://open.spotify.com/track/2elMo11tAks5ChFQy3jtNH?si=iXJYSzSeRJ6HoQNd_hDmow

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Anybody got a suggestion?

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t know what sound you had in your head, but what I heard sounds solid to me.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to listen, but I don't have a Spotify account.

5. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I think it's too shrill. I have rolled the tone almost all the way down (on the bridge) and I have the treble knob on the amp at just quarter too. I still think it lacks something… meatier? Hard do describe – it's a tele after all of course its sharp. But it sounds like there's a ton of mids missing eventhough I dimed the mid control on the amp.

6. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Did it sound that way in the room? It might be more 'recording-related' than 'gear-related'.

TokyoPortrait and rooboo like this.
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

This. I ain't signing up for nothing if I can help it.

2 Headed Goat and BelairPlayer like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No Spotify. Can’t help.

If you had the two be rolled off and the treble set that low on a Standard Tele, it’s not the guitar. Unless something is broken.

Tone settings on the SD1?

Something wrong with the amp?

Of course, one member said the tone was fine. Maybe you just don’t like Tele’s?

rooboo likes this.
  9. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Dude, I think your tone sounds great! (Band is freaking killer too, I really like this!!) Kinda sounds like the tone I get out of my set up. Tele into a Hot Rod Deville with an SD1.

What pot values are you running? If you have the tone almost all the way down and you've cut highs on the amp I can't help but think maybe you have high pot values (500k or 1meg).

Is the tone really high on the SD1?

rooboo likes this.
  10. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Well thank you! Makes me glad to hear those kind words!
    But the tone then… pots on the guitar are 250's but I never even tought about the tone on the SD1 itself. I've had that pedal for ages and ages (its litterally falling apart) but I've never even touched the tone knob on that sucker. It was pre-set to twelve o'clock and I've never changed it. Does it make a lot of difference? How do you roll it in your setup?

11. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Haha! Made me LOL. But it is the Telecaster forum after all…

12. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Unfortunatley yes. It sounded that way in the room. It does not normally sound this way – but this venue was larger than the ones we usually play. Maybe that's the key issue here! Rooms can be strange sometimes and I am not used to play a big venue like this. We're usually in smaller club type of venues.

13. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

My tone is generally set at 12 o clock or slightly lower (10-11). I run the level at about 12:30 and the gain is set to 11 o clock. Love the sound of my SD1 through the Deville.

I saw one of your posts you said that it doesn't normally sound the way it did there. Did you have to turn the amp up louder than normal at a bigger venue? Since you said you're running a Blues Deluxe maybe turning it up louder was pushing the tubes more and the sound difference is in the compression and "distortion" you were getting there.

rooboo likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

No spotify

15. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Well you know… this might be the thing right here. I definetly turned it up louder than usual. At gigs I’m usually just a nudge over 3 on the amp. Outdoor gigs maybe 4. But in this large venue this particular night I think I played it closer to six or so. That might just be it. Good call and thank you! I have to look into this matter further.

Of course I have played it really loud for fun in a rehersal room. I even dimed it at a rehersal one time, just to try it out… but our singer wanted to kill me :) But I have never gigged at this level before. At least not with this amp (and in this decade… this millennium come think about it.)
    Thanks again!

Manual Slim likes this.
  16. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I can't hear it, all I get is Donny and Marie .

Can you go through soundcloud?

17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I run several telecasters (one even has a JD in it). I set the SD-1 with Volume at 12, tone at 9 and drive at 3. Knobs haven't moved in years. My gigging amp is a Princeton custom with a British voiced speaker and I actually have more mids than really I need. I only use the SD-1 for leads now and run something with a bit less mids for mild dirt. (Tumnus mini)

rooboo likes this.
  18. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Donny and Marie? What the hell is that? :)
    No Soundcloud, sorry. It's an official release so the record company says no to Soundcloud.
    If you really care just search for "ida anderson band do i" and the song would appear. Thanks for taking your time!

BTW bought an Way Huge Overrated Special overdrive just today. Maybe it'll help me keep my tone together in the future. But I'll bet I'll sell it in a couple of months and be back with my trustworthy Boss SD1 :)

Manual Slim likes this.
  19. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Guitar sounds fantastic, if a little 'distant' as if mainly the room mics were used. I'd reckon maybe it's like 10% amp mic, and 90% room mics. This is in comparison to the other instruments, which sound a lot more 'direct'.

I'm curious about your amp settings, as well as mic placement. Do share more info in this regard?

rooboo likes this.
  20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The room sound may be adding the brittle early reflection effects.

If the guitar tracks are separated out I’d maybe try an alternate warmer cab IR or EQ on the guitar to maybe listen to the effect and dial back the room ambience a bit.

But it’s live and sounds like it should to me.

Mess too much and it will lose the live vibe.

Manual Slim and rooboo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.