Help needed.

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Telemarcster, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Telemarcster

Telemarcster TDPRI Member

Hey,

I have a tele and a vox ac15, I have one stage of overdrive which is a morning glory but I need another and im not sure what, i've been told to stay away from tube screamerish pedals as vox's are typically mid - boosted anyway and doesn't seem to be a great combo.

Any recommendations? currently using an od glove by ehx.

- tuner > sp comp > od glove > morning glory > ep booster > volume pedal > dd-20 > rv-6.

thanks in advance

2. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

I have a G&L Asat and ac15. I run a Timmy. I don't have a second OD, but I can let the amp be my first stage and the pedal be the second. But I guess I can't easily go from super clean to gritty to gainy. I could use my volume pedal or volume knob to get a little more push over the top. I'll be interested to hear what others think. I'm too new at electric to have strong opinions about this or that drive. I just bought the Timmy on reputation and like it.

3. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

CAVEAT: I have to admit that I'm prejudiced against "worship guitar rigs" so I don't play Vox amps and I avoid JHS pedals like the plague. I have played AC 15's and have a hand wired amp that is faithful to the original AC 15 circuit so I'm familiar with that amp, but know nothing about the Morning Glory. I personally am not a huge fan of the tube screamer with tele guitars especially if they have traditional tele Bridge pickups or humbuckers.

I have had really good luck with Teles, equipped with standard PU's, Humbuckers or Filter Trons, running through a Timmy, or an OCD. I also really like them through a Skreddy Screwdriver which can do most of what the Timmy does but can get into Big Muff territory also.

I know that the Timmy is great with Teles and the amp you have, and the OCD is very similar, but I don't know how they would pair with the Morning Glory. You may want to go with more of a distortion like a Rat or a Dirty Little Secret. I personally think that one OD is sufficient if you have a distortion to pair it with, especially if you can run your amp on the edge of break up. That way you have three different degrees of drive/distortion, i.e. amp - OD - Distortion. Do you run a boost?

4. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I hate Tube Screamers. Although: if you turn anything up loud enough - they crunch amusingly.

I put a Seymour Duncan Hotrail in my Tele. I don't like single-coils that much. But there's a time and place for everything.
    I also hate 90% of overdrive pedals. But that 10% is HUGE. OCD's sure tighten up the mids (totally erase?) on some amps.

5. islander

islander Tele-Meister

Morning glory is based off of the Marshall bb v1 circuit .
    I find it interesting that the glove is before both the booster and the jhs. Really curious how you use them as I think that really could change what I might say as I would typically expect to use them in the opposite order.
    At first glance, I would say you have lots of tonal options too, but not knowing how you have it set up...

6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Islander is a more careful reader than I am. I read, but didn't see the description of your efx chain. Doh:oops:. I would probably try the boost in front of the OD and see if you like it. I like OD into distortion, but others prefer Distortion into OD, so it's definitely worth playing with putting the Morning glory in front of the Glove and seeing what that does for you too.

I have my drive and distortion in front of compression because it makes them feel and react more like an amp. I then have a boost after the compressor so I can use it like a boost and not have it be limited by the compressor. Sonically, I prefer the boost in front of the OD and Distortion, but like the utility of having the actual boost when I step on it. Try it all.

7. Telemarcster

Telemarcster TDPRI Member

So I recently just put the comp into the od glove into the morning glory then into ep booster. I did this as I leave the ep booster on to set me just over the edge when I dig in - its a great pedal, and I wanted all my tone to sound like it, so I have the ods before so it just gets more gainy and doesnt completely change.
    The od into the morning glory as I prefer the the morning glory.
    For reference, the ods are set mostly to a volume boost and the ep booster sort of keeps it all at the same volume.
    I want to then change the od glove go something else.
    And possibly get something else, something funky but im not sure...

Thanks.

8. islander

islander Tele-Meister

So, you are using the booster to push the front end of your amp. Harder than your pickups alone. Cool. I like that. Maybe push it harder (more ep) and roll your volume down on you guitar a little for a different tone.
    With your current set up, your other two pedals aren't interacting with your amp anymore. They are hitting the EP really.
    The ocd/ glove is a good pedal with Vox type circuits, not sure how it interacts with the EP in the middle. You are really working on stacking your circuits in a different way if you leave the ep on all the time. You are going to be looking for something that plays well with that circuit. You might find a fuzz likes to be cleaned up by the ep following it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.