Help needed: nitro over paper?

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I'm working in a DIY paisley telecaster. I've selected a paper pattern that I think will do nicely, but I just want to make sure the nitro finish holds. Is there anything I should spray over the paper before applying nitro to make this work?

Thanks

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Test it. I've used nitro over paper very successfully, but there are some papers where it soaks in and makes a waxed paper or even transparent result. Also, so printing inks dissolve into nitro; some do not. No way to guess. You may be able to seal in shellac if necessary before spraying the nitro. I've done some really gorgeous stuff with printed paper on pickguards under nitro, so it can be done. If you adhere the paper properly, the end result is as durable as a nitro'd guitar top.

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
Test it. I've used nitro over paper very successfully, but there are some papers where it soaks in and makes a waxed paper or even transparent result. Also, so printing inks dissolve into nitro; some do not. No way to guess. You may be able to seal in shellac if necessary before spraying the nitro. I've done some really gorgeous stuff with printed paper on pickguards under nitro, so it can be done. If you adhere the paper properly, the end result is as durable as a nitro'd guitar top.
Pics please? Sounds super cool!

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic

Sounds like you're the guy to ask, so may I pick your brain a bit more?

What is your adhesive of choice? I saw a YouTube video where the guy used standard wallpaper glue. Would you recommend the same?

CapnCrunch

Friend of Leo's
It's wise to spray a piece of your paper to be sure it is colorfast under your finish. Lacquer has a carrying medium of lacquer thinner (basically), which is a pretty strong solvent. Also, you could lay down a couple coats of Shellac or a polyester base. You should check color fastness with them as well. Personally, I'd spray several coats of Poyester and then lay down some nice smooth Nitro to buff. I've never done a Paisley, so can't help with glue. My first thought would be to use good old Elmer's white glue thinned with a little water, but I might be wrong;)

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
Working with model airplanes, I know that nitro dope is a finish, a glue, a sealer, you name it. It's usually thinned with acetone. Probably clear nitro dope would work wonderfully well, with the question above as far as whether it'd mess up the ink as an important one to check.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
To avoid links from bleeding, spray your 1st coat of nitro on the paper as a mist coat. After waiting 10 minutes, spray another mist. Follow with a couple light coats after. Let dry and proceed. You don't ever want your coats of nitro to be liquid glass heavy until your final coat or 2. and doing so can lead to ink bleed as well.

Eric

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Is there anything I should spray over the paper before applying nitro to make this work?

Test, test and test again.

IMO - respectfully - the question shouldn't even be asked. You take "overage", apply it to prepared scrap using whatever adhesive you plan on using, test spray the entire system and buff it.

It's the only way you'll ensure there's no reaction to the inks or adhesive(s), or find out if the adhesive will "release" the adhesive.