Help needed identification US Strat 2004/2005

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Blind Walker G, May 6, 2021.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

My take - 2004 American Series neck because I don't see evidence of a second string tree being removed (a Highway 1 neck would have had 2 string trees). Caveats though:
    • The serial number is not found in Fender's serial number database - it could be a replacement neck or it could be that the instrument was never entered into their database (entry is a manual process and individual instruments can fall through the cracks)
    • An American Series neck will have a large metal disk at the end for the micro-tilt mechanism; a Highway 1 neck will have a much smaller metal disk that is the end of the truss rod
    I agree with @beagle and others that it is an MIM body, probably from a Standard. As far as I can remember Highway 1 bodies were routed HSS, not HSH.

The electronics are who knows - it would be better to see closeups of the pickups and wiring from the back of the pickguard to figure out what they are and where they might have come from. @Blind Walker G you say they have the "Noiseless" script on them but I can't read it clearly from your photo, and a lot of the Chender fakes have that script on their pickup covers so seeing the back of the pickguard will help verify if they are real, if the other wiring looks factory Fender, etc. The pickguard was definitely changed; I don't recall Fender mixing white covers/black pickguards back then.

beagle likes this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

There wasn't so much overlap back then; it would most likely be a 2004 but could be January 2005 (I don't think the overlap extended as far as February through the 2000s).

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I checked the Fender Frontline catalog for 2005. There were no American Strats (not reissues or artist models) with a six screw mounted bridge, and all HWY 1 strats came in transparent dye colors, not opaque paint.

Also, this has no provision for a neck-tilt adjustment.

Seems like partscaster of some sort.

scelestus likes this.
  4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

It's a US neck I think. I also agree the body looks like a MIM Standard - maybe in a (naturally) faded Blue Agave or Sage Green Metallic.

5. Blind Walker G

Blind Walker G TDPRI Member

The pickguard is just additional and mentioned as the original one. There is another aftermarket pickguard mounted on the guitar with a totally different pickup configuration. This is the one I'm after, so I didn't asked anything about the black pickguard.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s an MIM body and an American neck. Aftermarket guard and pickups. It’s a partscaster. The Hwy 1 guitars at the time had a six point trem, but they had a satin lacquer finish. And weren’t available in metallic colors.

It’s probably a very nice guitar, but none of those parts left the factory together.

7. Blind Walker G

Yes, that's the conclusion of most here. I will see if I can get it for cheap or I will let it pass.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yes but it's part of tracking down if it was some kind of factory model.

So let me try to explain my comments about the pickguard:

During that point in time (early 2000s) no Fender left the factory with a black pickguard and white/aged white pickup covers. So this is another indication that this is a parts guitar. And without looking at the back of the pickguard we can't verify if those are real Vintage Noiseless pickups or if any of the other wiring is factory Fender (meaning someone just wired it up instead of transferring a Fender wiring harness from the original pickguard to this black one).

I do understand that you're more interested in the pickguard currently on the guitar.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    beagle likes this.
  9. Blind Walker G

Hold your horses. As I wrote i don't have the guitar in my hands. As a respect for another person I don't mail to the seller for additional pics after every comment here in the thread.
    If your interpretation is that I give a damn ****, ok, then we have a communication problem.
    Apart from that, the one and only question is about the origin of the body. A pickguard configuration will not answer this.

10. Blind Walker G

Conclusion: As nobody seems to know any US model of that time period, where the body/trem specification could fit, I will handle this as a partscaster.
    Will only grab it for small money or pass it by.
    Thanks for some helpful comments and take care.

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Okay; my apologies; definitely a communication problem. Sometimes it's easy to misread an online request that you would not misinterpret if asked in person, and I did misinterpret your original questions. I did edit my original post to tone it down a bit, but you saw it before I made the edits.:oops:

I thought the question was on the entire guitar; if it was just body then I think you are taking the proper tactic to go after it as a partscaster.

If it works out for you and you get the guitar in hand then you'll be able to verify whose speculations were correct on the origin of the body.

12. Blind Walker G

The seller is still waiting for an answer of the Fender support. If noone can verify this is all original, I will get it for cheap.
    In this case we can do a close inspection on everything with more pics.

13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Neck plate does not appear to have a Micro Tilt hole.

14. Blind Walker G

The seller decided to keep the guitar instead of selling cheap. So the whole story ends here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.