[Help needed] High E too close to edge of fretboard... nut, bridge, something else?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sixstringedmatt, Jan 16, 2020.

1. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I just received a new Vintera 50s modded tele and think the high E is a little too close to the edge of the fretboard. When I do pull offs, it slips off the neck way too easily. The string also hugs the saddle screw, which I know is an issue.

I am relatively new to teles and unware if this is normal. Could you take a look at the photos and weigh in?

For context, I ordered online - it was a long story where the used one I ordered was damaged by UPS and the shop sent me a new one for free, which I thought was very kind. I need to determine if I should ask them to reduce what I paid to have a new nut made? This thing plays great so far, so I am not opposed to having the work done in that case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

First, make sure your strings are evenly space on the bridge. They don't appear to be now. Grooved brass segments would be better but those will work. Loose a few turns and get them right. They should be spaced identical to the holes they pass through the bridge.

You can improve that edge margin a lot by:
    -loosen the strings bit
    -loosen the 4 neck screws
    -tilt the neck upward until the string edge margin looks good.
    -Tighten the neck screws back up

This will only work if there is some edge space in the neck pocket. But does usually work.
    However that nut looks unevenly notched. But where the string edge margin matters most is further up the neck.

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

The nut isn't the issue. I don't even think the neck needs realignment.

Looks like the high E string isn't passing over the the bridge saddle in a straight line. And sitting in the hole up against the screw like that isn't good either. String breakage will invariably ensue.

Slack the string, realign, retune, and you should be good. In fact all the strings look like they could benefit from the same treatment.

4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

This won't be helping that's for sure.

5yGlHe9.jpg

5. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Looks like the high e is snagged on the screw when it should be straight from the hole.

6. sixstringedmatt

Thank you! I am not sure I am understanding the first part about the saddles. What do I need to loosen to get them straight? I assume once I loosen that, I just then need to move them left or right, correct? Sorry for being dense.

I will take a look at the neck after I hear back!

I did try to realign the string but it keeps jumping back to that spot. I believe the technique schmee mentioned should solve for that, right?

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

In other words, loosen up the high e, slide it toward the bass side, away from the set screw hole it's lodged in and see if you can't get a better alignment. You may end up having to reset the neck in it's pocket if the overall alignment isn't right, but the other two saddles look ok. Might have to scoot over the saddle under the b and e string just a little. They are adjustable...

8. sixstringedmatt

Ah, got you now! I should be able to look at this fairly soon and report back. I agree I can probably fan the saddle out a bit and know I will need to adjust intonation and all that as a result.

9. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

Spot on with the string in the bridge and wonder why you haven't spotted that 0145212515_gtr_hdstckfrt_001_nr.jpg ...but I also think the nut is cut badly. My photo is off the web...notice how the distance from the end of both E strings to the end of the nut is equal....yours looks way off...the distance from the low E is far greater than the distance of the top E...looks almost double to me

eallen, puddin, Buzzgrowl and 2 others like this.
  10. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

yeah I agree the whole spacing looks shifted downwards.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

just loosen the strings a bit and slide them so they are equal spaced at the bridge. And as SI G X noted, that high E string is caught on the screw hole.
    That appears to be the wide string spacing on that guitar which makes the edge margin on the high E problematic at times. I converted my wide spaced to 2.06 spacing.
    But once the strings are even, loosen that neck, tilt it a bit and get yourself some edge margin on the high E. It's a common adjustment on Fenders.

12. sixstringedmatt

@schmee @teletimetx The string keeps pulling back to the screw despite moving the saddle. I think it's the nut pulling it that way. Would a neck adjustment help at this point?

@tweeet @Si G X I am starting to feel that is unfortunately the case. I'll have to reach out to the shop and see what can be done and figure out what costs here in DC would be for the new nut. It plays awesome and I really dont want to ship back a 2nd guitar, especially if they'll pay for the nut install.

If it comes to that - would you guys recommend any particular nut? I was thinking of upgrading to bone or something. Not clear on what's advisable for teles. I had a great Tusq one on my strat that I sold.

13. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

It happens on a new smooth saddle, you might have to align it, and give it a little tap on the backside where the string heads toward the string hole in the body to establish a groove to hold it. Just keep adjusting it it should make a groove quickly.
    I usually use the pickup pole pieces (round magnet ends top of pickup) as a guide and line the strings up centered over them. You can see on yours using that method the high e is out of alignment.
    EDIT: So i see it keeps sliding back, you'll have to make a starter groove to hold it. The brass is pretty soft, if you tap the string with something solid(maybe a largish screwdriver handle?), while aligned properly, just to the rear of the top, it should make a starter groove.
    The string might be worse for wear from it, but strings are cheap :/

14. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

Bone nut for me....is the shop you bought it from close by...I would take it back and ask them to do it for free as it's not good being sold like that IMO

eallen likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

You can, with a small rat tail file, start a groove on the saddle that should hold the high e in place, but if the nut isn't right, that's not the optimum solution.

EDIT: OOOPS, I SEE YOU DID POST OF PHOTO OF NUT.

Yeah, that nut is off. Need some calipers to measure, but looks like the slot is a little too close to the edge. If you bought this new, and the nut isn't cut right, it should be fixed by your warranty, but not sure how complicated that would be for you to pursue a warranty repair without knowing your purchase details. If there is a way to measure the difference with caliper that would be most helpful in showing what the problem is.

A new bone nut would be ok. Others here would probably help you out on that.

nojazzhere, Ricky D. and beagle like this.
  16. sixstringedmatt

I might pick up compensated saddles with grooves, so I will hold off for now knowing it is probably a nut issue more than anything else.

Bought online unfortunately from a very reputable shop. I am going to have to ask for a partial refund or what my other options are.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree that the high E witness point on the saddle is incorrect.....and that is one of the things I don’t like about those saddles. I like to establish a controlled witness point so that the string is always witnessing properly. Regarding the nut, from the vantage point of the camera, I see that the nut is incorrectly cut. I may not have a problem with the placement of the high E...although imho it is as close as it should possibly be. However, the low E is placed too far into the fretboard, imho.
    I prefer to use as much of the fretboard as possible.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Some distortion in that saddle photo, look at the low E, off in the opposite direction.

The nut slots look to be off. See about a warranty repair. New nut needed. Tusc or bone.

19. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

How slanted is your E B saddle? I bet it tilts down from the B string to the E string. That is why the string slides all the way over. There is going to be a bit of tilt to match the fingerboard radius but I would guess either the B string is setting to high or the E is setting to low. Just adjust the the proper saddle screw, or both, keeping in mind your string height.

oh ya, your nut slots looks off, but you should measure to be sure. Photos can be deceiving.

after looking at your photo again I noticed that a lot of the adjustment screw near the E string is showing, far more than the other one. That means the E string side is much lower.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in the ‘90’s I started using files to compensate these three saddle bridges. In doing so, one prevents the strings from moving around that way.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.