1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

help needed from you gurus, about TUBE AMP KITS

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by juancaca, Nov 15, 2013.

1. juancaca

juancaca TDPRI Member

im researching tube amp kits...

searching for:

1)most common tubes (easy to get new ones, im living in mexico and not to easy to get them)
    2)less tubes (same reason: better 5 tubes than 9)
    3)begg or intermediate level im a lawyer go figure my soldering skills! lol!
    4)25 to 60 watts but better closer to 40w (figured that is ok for house-jam band once in a month situations)...
    5)not xpensive but "turret style" not circuit board, head, for my 2 x 12 cab, 125RMS 8ohms each speaker....

my researching bring me to marshall JTM-45, but it appears is "around" 25-35 watts ...not sure if is enough to play with drummer in garage band situation, i want good headroom to use cleans with drummer... not know about availability of replacement tubes for ...
    then i found JTM variations JTM-50, JTM "our version of the classic" and i found it has 4 imputs???? and im confused if is really what i need

...so, with my needs ANY SUGGESTION??? thanks so much in advise!!

2. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The JTM is a fabulous amp and plenty to play with a drummer in all but the loudest conditions. I've never built one, but it is a relatively simple build, and uses common, currently-produced tubes. It lacks reverb, but that's a personal option, I have several amps without. For volume control, different speakers can be used as long as the impedance matched, so, if possible, find a kit that provides for a multi-impedance output.

Slightly less loud but of similar style, build 'difficulty' and tube availability, with a large fan-base are the "18 watt" amps derived from a short-lived Marshall from the 60s. 18watt.com is a large forum devoted to the building and tweaking of that particular amp and there are several very good kit suppliers that are members there. A little less powerful, but very sweet tones, at least if you don't NEED super-clean sort of tones, awesome in the slightly distored to mild to stronger distortion regions, but not so good at modern metal. With good speakers can hang with a drummer.

David Allen is a highly regarded amplifier "kit maker" with several Fender-styled amps that can be built with options for different levels of power. Also a good place to look.

Good Luck!

3. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I don't think you'll have trouble keeping up with a drummer using a jtm

4. rsi106

rsi106 TDPRI Member

As far as tubes go, I'd say a design that uses 2 octal power tubes. Marshall JTM45 or 1987 fall into this category. In a pinch, these can use different 8 pin tubes with a bias change (i.e. EL34, 6550, 6L6, 5881, KT77 etc.). If you want to decrease the number of tubes, stay away from amps with A) reverb/tremelo B) tube rectifiers C) more than 50 watts.

To be honest, an 18 watt marshall is loud enough for a drummer, but not very much clean headroom.

If you haven't built an amp before, I'd stick to heads (especially since you have a 2x12 cab). Most of the OTs you can get have multiple secondaries to match your cab.

If you like the marshall sound, I'd do a 1987 instead of a JTM45 because there's no rectifier tube to deal with. It's also relatively uncomplicated (compared to a reverb combo or something) and it's a good platform for modifications. 50 watts is pretty damn loud, but will get you more clean headroom.

Most early marshalls have 4 inputs. One pair feeding each side of the first preamp stage.

I'd look at some of the layouts at ceriatone or one of the other kit sellers and find one that suits your needs.

5. juancaca

juancaca TDPRI Member

thanks a lot guys!
    good to know jtm and drums mix well... im gonna check 18watts site... and check the1987 model...

i was inclined to variation of JTM, the jtm50, with master volume mod... but never came to my mind check if theres impedance selector and didnt factorize tube rectifier vs SS... for sure i need to read more lol!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.