1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help needed. 65 reissue vs 68 custom

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jmooreguitars, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I have 68CPRRI with creamback matches perfect for tele & strats. I also have a Marshall SV20 which matches perfectly with humbucker & p90's & the above. Personally the most versatile for underground country rock I suggest the Marshall SV20 with a Joyo American Sound for Waylon & a Klinger Super Fuz for your ZZ Top covers. It does clean to full plexi with fx loop, two hi & low input chanells. Line out for house & can run up to 2 4x12 stacks. I purchsed the head but now sort of wish I got the grab'n'go combo. JMHO.

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

68 cdr with neo would be my choice.
    A few pedals in front.
    Grab n Go rig that will serve you well.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What purpose? What context? What volume?

I don’t know how anyone even addresses these threads without knowing all three.

If you are playing at home they’re all far too loud to do their thing.

If in a band, what venues? How many pieces? Mic’d or no? Do you want breakup or pristine cleans as hard as the drummer bring it?

The ‘65 DR and ‘68 CDR are very similar. The differences are largely overblown and mainly down to the speaker, as someone else said. And the speaker in the ‘68 is phenomenal.

The Twin is a whole ‘nother deal. My bandmate’s TRRI sounded great ... with a Tube Screamer on all the time. So he got a DRRI and sounded great regardless.

The noise complaints on the ‘68’s are really overblown. Product of Dudes playing real Quiet and looking for Something to ***** about on the Web, IMO.

Jmooreguitars likes this.
  4. Jmooreguitars

Jmooreguitars TDPRI Member

Im usually really good at picking gear and finding tones. This has been the hardest decision amp wise in my life haha

5. Jmooreguitars

Well man i plan on using it for re cording, gigs, and practice . if i get a deluxe im expecting to mic it. I will be playing dive bars to medium / largish venues . nothing major. I have a under ground country band. Our genre hasn't made it to huge stadiums haha. Im fine with that though.

Bluey likes this.
  6. Jmooreguitars

and i guess my context would be im the lead guitar. My lead singer will be playing acoustic through pa. Bass player through amp and subs, and a drummer. Can't find a steel player for live shows only re cording . so i guess i'll be playing some slide live.

7. Jmooreguitars

Recording wise i want to be able to run really.clean or dirty depending on what the song needs. Live i want it 70s/80s merle haggard clean. Use an odr1 for some drive, and my mythos chupacabra . i'll be running dunlop echoplex, and jhs milkman . 70s univox micro phaser, small clone chorus, dunlop cry baby, maybe a volume pedal . and im thinking about adding a flange.

8. Jmooreguitars

I never thought about using a plexi for country . i bet it be cool sounding. I was on the orange train for a while. I love them. But i can't afford the ones i really want haha. 3k plus 1k for a cab. Not in the cards rn

Bluey likes this.
  9. Jmooreguitars

I was leaning more toward the neo because it's a pine cab. Those are supposed to resonate and sound better . people on here are saying the v type is better. I have yet to play either one so Idk

10. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Demo gives a rough idea.

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I keep trying the Custom 68 versions and always like the 65RI models better.....different strokes and all that..... I like my originals the best but the 65 reissues, properly set up and broken in sound more like the "real thing" to my ears.

Jmooreguitars likes this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I'm curious, do you clip the bright cap in your '65 DRRIs?

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think the 65 DRRI is probably a good bet. I use a real 65 DR in a 5 piece band, we're not super loud but loud enough. It's fine for 95% of gigs. Outdoors I use a bigger amp often.
    The 65 RI is modeled after the BFDR, why go different like a 68? It's not an amp that need much changed.
    I would immediately buy an Emi GA SC 64 speaker for it.

14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I've played a lot of dive bars and with various bands, the only amps I would consider is first a twin because your always going to be heard. The DRs regardless of year can get buried. They have to operate at near top of scale to keep up and so clean headroom is gone at some point in the night. If it's a quiet band, then not so much. A twin is a beast to carry so the second recommendation, not on your list, is the Vibrolux RI because it's louder than a DRRI, has way more headroom and is a lot lighter than a twin. Alternately, a third one, would be Super Reverb because it's similar in weight to a twin but has better spread with 4 10s in a small club. But, of the two you are looking at, I would want the twin for live but also note the Deluxe Reverb is the most recorded amp in history. So you will have to figure out your priorities. Twins are more challenging to mic and record in my opinion.

15. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I did on one, E5RSY. but did not on the second one. Truthfully, I spent a lot more time with the latter and set it up like my Vintage DR - same (NOS)tube compliment, bias setting, and a well-broken in stock speaker. I don't run real high settings on my treble and bass, effectively fattening the mid tones of the DR. Took me a lot of years to learn that lol!

16. Jmooreguitars

Well guys i went with the 68 custom . i got it brand new with the neo speaker pine cab . mint. For a great deal. It does have some weird sounds behind your guitar signal ( like people stated) over all im still happy with it. It takes every pedal i own great. Except my chupacabra still. That thing just smacks the front end of an amp to much. Really bright. I won't sell it maybe i'll figure out how everyone else is getting gibbons tone from it one day. The neo speaker is really bass heavy. So im running a ge7 to tame it. And shape my sound for any specific tone . i still want a 65 ri too. Might have one coming on trade for some of my other gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.