Help needed. 65 reissue vs 68 custom

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jmooreguitars, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Jmooreguitars

Jmooreguitars TDPRI Member

Hey everyone. I can not decide between a 65 reissue or 68 custom deluxe or twin.

For my underground country sound im trying to cover tones from .
    Merle, waylon, hank Jr, whitey Morgan, laur jometes , cody jinks, all the way to early zz top .
    Using a pedal board of course.

Which version is going to be ideal for me? I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Should i opt for the twin version?

I could get a 65 reissue with flight case for 1150$
    Or a 68 custom with neo creamback for 1,050$

2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Hey J Mo. welcome aboard. You're Young so you can probably carry the twin without serious injury. It's gonna have a lot of clean headroom, maybe more than you need. The 68 and 65 Deluxe are cool amps and I'd probably go for the 65 for your style but the 68 might be more versatile overall. Having said that , I would suggest that you search for used Lil Dawg Wonderdawgs or Vintage Sound amps. They will probably be similar price wise but are hand wired and have a mid knob which I've come to appreciate.

Jmooreguitars likes this.
  3. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Questions like that usually generates many suggestions ;)
    Short answer: 1965.
    Or try to get an original vintage Silverface Princeton for the same amount of money. My suggestion :cool:

4. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

for a lotta those, 'ceptin' for zz top, you wanna Peavey.

5. Jmooreguitars

I thought billy gibbons used . tweed twins, silverface champs, and marshall 50 watts in studio ( zz tops first-tejas) albums. I bought the mythos chupacabra . if any of yhall are curious about that. Their is some serious eq and trickery going on in the demo video. Its a very sensitive pedal that only gives you 3/4 the sound mythos has in the demo. I have yet to try it through a deluxe or twin though.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I think the '68 is the better value, not being a one-trick pony. I also think it sounds better overall, probably due to the Celestion.

7. Jmooreguitars

Thanks for the reply. It's been a hard decision . really trying to take bits and peices of my favorite players rigs, to make my own sound . long as i can get that merle haggard clean or hank Jr (whiskey bent and hell bound / new south ) clean sound. Then use my pedals for drive . i'll be happy. I'll check out those amps. I have a bunch of 40s-60s odd ball amps . im finally going to buy a fender this week.

8. Jmooreguitars

I guess whats throwing me off is.
    The 68 seems to have a fuller balanced sound .
    The 65 has a way more vintage sounding reverb .

Is the hum as bad as everyone says about the 68?

9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

as a quasi Marshall, fender , peavey, supro player. The 68 i had is one of the few amps that could scratch most of what i needed to do. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. What a fun amp with a OD & boost pedal. Ride the guitar knobs all day lng & cover all the you mention. The thing about the BF type amps ..if you have the lil bit dirt..a tweedy or Marshall in ya lead tones..get the amps that have it in it naturally & just goose em. The Celestion Type V was a great match in it ..plus i channel jumper ed it & the familiar tone shaping i am used to was a great bonus

cdr1.jpg

10. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm of the same mindset. I've gotta have a good,clean tone first and foremost then hit the pedals for OD. I've got a Wonderdawg and A Vintage Sound VS 15 blackface Princeton type amp. The thing I like about the mid knob is the versatility it adds to the amp. I think you should be able to Hank and Hag from any of the amps in your initial post. Keep us posted.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

There may be some bad offenders/individual units here and there, but I don't think there is anything wrong inherently with the design of the '68 that throws off a lot of hum. Then again, it's a tube amp...humming is kinda what they do.

12. Jmooreguitars

Oh yeah man ik tube amps hum. I have a few. I've just read they hum really loud. Im to ocd for that . i have a noise suppressor pedal. So that might be a problem solver

13. Jmooreguitars

Would you pick the v type over the neo creamback version? It's funny there is no really good in depth videos comparing the two.

14. Jmooreguitars

Attached Files:

bftfender likes this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Yes, even have one in my Bandmaster semi open 2x12 cab. I record that speaker a lot. The speaker was right on for the 68. It brings very usable mids to the table on that amp

16. Jmooreguitars

Right on man. Im glad i joined this group . i was under the impression the neo creamback added some much needed sparkle and bass.

17. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

that's why i excepted him. but for a lotta those guys the 70s outlaw country sound meant peavey

18. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I have the 65 and love it. However, I could probably live with the 68 as well. I have a Lovepedal Purple Plexi and it though the 65 gives me all the ZZ Top I want. Great combo.

19. Jmooreguitars

Ik merle used peavey in the 80s. But i think everyone in country moved to peavey in the 80s. From my research
    Waylon used quad reverb and twins
    Hank used twins until he was endorced by mesa in 1975 .
    Im trying to find a way to get an all in one package for live shows. Or as best i can. I will prob be recording with Wht ever amp i get as well. Everyone on this thread has been great to talk to.

20. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

My main amp is the 68CDR - and that can go from country clean to very sweet OD without much knob tweaking -

add a great OD to push it, jumper the channels, and it’ll do a very convincing AC/DC or ZZ Top all night long.

I struggled for a long while, looking for an amp that would offer the best of both worlds. The 68CDR is a winner - and it’s smaller and lighter than many of the alternatives out there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.