Help: Neck humbucker, 4-way switching or both?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by zammie, Sep 7, 2019.

1. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I'm at the tail end of my Squier Standard Tele re-furb project. It has been a hard 3 weeks, and blisters aside, my brains are fried - I just want to finish this. Right now I need to make a decision regarding pickups and wiring.

I typically play a mix of fingerstyle (clean channel + reverb) and contemporary worship music (lots of clean, some overdrive, and lots of modulation). And a bit of Rolling Stones on the off days.

So I'm trying to find out which of these 2 options will suit my need best:

a) Run with my current pups (Tonerider Vintage Alnicos) which I like and install the 4 way switching mod with a push-pull tone pot. FWIW I actually like the neck pup on the Tele.

BTW I have a spare YKE 5-way (7 lug) switch from a Strat - will this work for this purpose?

b) Install a Probucker (4 wires) in the neck position. I want to be able to coil split that. Will a series wiring be a reasonable option in this case? That's potentially 5 tone options (neck HB, neck HB+bridge, bridge, neck HB+bridge (series), neck SC+bridge (series)

What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated!

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I regularly install a humbucker in the neck with a single in bridge on builds. With a 4 or 5 way and coil splitting it has excellent tone options. The challenge is getting a compatible humbucker. Some will just grab any they have to drop the humbucker drastically low or the volume difference is unbearable. I use 2.o or 2.8 henry humbuckers and they are an excellent blend.

Eric

moosie, zammie and Vibrolux59 like this.
  3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Neck humbucker in series with bridge is going to be unusable. Way too dark. I used to have a tele with a SD59 in the neck. I wired it for neck humbucker, both, neck single coil in series with bridge, series with a tuned tap, and bridge.
    It was a great guitar for cleans, I played it in a worship setting regularly. It was like having 3 flavors of humbucker. I may be able to get you a schematic later if you are interested.

4. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

BTW, I concur with Eric about the choice of humbucker. Something like a Duncan jazz neck works well. If you have lots of options, go with a lower wind, asymmetrical coils, unpotted, no cover.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  5. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Since I haven't been able to find the DGB site for a while now, maybe I should post these here for the betterment of the community. Anybody seen DGB studios lately? His site was about as comprehensive as any I have seen for wiring schematics.
    Some very interesting ones here, clever use of the tone control.

Attached Files:

zammie likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Zammie, you could put the humbucker on the push/pull on one of your control pots....go from HBKR to single or to parallel humbucker. Then wire you pr 4-way switch ‘as normal’. Push/pull to the single coil type of output from the neck when using the #4 series arrangement.

7. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Why lose the single coil neck when you really like it? 4 way switch option sounds good.

TokyoPortrait, zammie and bender66 like this.
  8. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use Bill Lawrence's Wilde L90 2.0 henry for all my tele SH combos. One of the most requested after people hear it. Not dark at all! www.wildepickups.com

Eric

9. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

Good to know that. How does the series setting sound compared to the neck humbucker?

10. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

I have a Dimarzio PAF Pro on hand, or I could order a set of Epiphone Probuckers (Alnico IIs) I already have the Probuckers in my Samick single cut so I know the sound.

11. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

The humbucker is already 2 coils in series, when you add a third coil in series, it sounds like a ridiculously over wound pickup. Use either one of the 2 coils from the humbucker in series with the bridge and it sounds like a wide humbucker.

12. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

Will this work with a standard 4 way and two push-pull pots? I was looking at a single push-pull to do the 4 way wiring cos I'm doubtful of the 4 way switches I see online and feel a push-pull pot will be easier to remember in actual use.

13. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

I would probably start with which ever is the weaker output.

14. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

I get that. But how do you reckon the 'wide humbucker' sound compared to straight neck humbucker? Bit more trebly?

If you meant like Fender's wide range humbucker sound it would totally work for me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  15. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

It is up to you, but I find that using push pull pots to do some of thatcreates more confusion. You could easily have positions of the push pull that do nothing depending on the position of the lever switch. I like to pick my favorite sounds and put those on the 5 way. 5 way switches are available everywhere in standard or multi pole
    It reminds me of the middle position of a 2 humbucker guitar. Think of a bucker with a mid notch.

16. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

Thanks @tubejockey that helps. Think I will go with the basic 4-way switching since that should be simpler and meets my needs. Thanks everyone for chipping in!

17. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Good plan. I have seen the 'series' humbucker sound compared to the neck pickup on an SG a few times, definitely not trebly on my Tele's. I also use a no load tone pot to open the humbucker setting up a bit, keep the tone about 8 or so on the dial when using the single coil settings, open it up for the humbucker if necessary.

zammie likes this.
  18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I too like the Tele neck pickup, and I play mostly middle or neck position. I have a SH Tele (Seth Lover in neck position), and as others have said, the full HB is way too powerful to play nicely with the bridge pickup. Switching requires adjusting volume and often tone. Middle position sounds like mostly neck.

What makes it work for me is to add a on-on-on mini-toggle (on the control plate between the pots), that offers three neck pickup variations: full humbucker (which is both internal coils in series, of course), split, and parallel. Both coils in parallel is my favorite in a Tele. It still sounds like a humbucker, but it's not overpowering in a single coil world.

This is coupled with a three- or four-way switch. You could add that four-way series option, but in my experience, most people do that because they wish they had a humbucker. You already have one! If you do wire it that way, just know that the full bucker in series with the bridge is not going to be good. But the coil split will sound fine in series. Not sure about series with the bucker in parallel mode.

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's the mini-toggle wiring. It requires a on-on-on switch, not on-off-on.

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 05.36.46 AM.png

Wally likes this.
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There is nothing wrong with a good 4-way selector switch, ime. I built a tele up almost twenty years ago with a 4-way...and it is still in operation today. As for two push/pulls???? To what purpose? Using one push/pull or the on/on/on mini switch to switch that neck humbucker to those three options and then running the output of that to the 4-way selector switch gets the job done and is easily understandable and usable.
    I like versatility. The tele I mention above has single coil sized humbuckers in both positions with two push/pulls and a 4-way. There are 12 humbucking sounds in that guitar. My ‘Strat. Has 16 humbucking sounds...and yes, it can sound exactly like a Strat except it has no hum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.