1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help narrow down my short scale bass search

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by jd1655, Oct 20, 2020.

1. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

short scale strings...I’d go with flats for what you mention for genres..they’ll sound great with that mudbucker as well.

Sorry- I have to disagree- rounds would brighten up that mudbucker, but I think shortscale flats would do great at a reasonable price- I’ve got a set of flats on my Epi EB-3 (longscale) and they sound great!!
    Here’s a set at MF pretty reasonable price...
    D3399830-C378-4D27-9C8D-E0C99CCE251E.jpeg

2. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

3. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Fender Mustang or Squier will do. Ibanez has some also.

4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the EB-O. Not really qualified to help with the string question, but I would tend to think heavy, as a tuning compensation for the short scale. I have owned a Jag SS for several years and done some recording with it (lovely!) and it still has the factory strings.., so, idk.

5. dbamps

dbamps TDPRI Member

A few years ago, I injured my left hand and couldn't stretch my fingers without bad arthritis pain. I bought a 5 string Ibanez Mikro. After some modding (EMG J bass pickups, 3 band EQ, added pickguard) it was ready for serious gigging.

It's not only fantastic, the stock coated Ibanez roundwounds are very, very good. A 5 string set is cheaper than the 4 string set.

$179 for a new 4 string. Hard to beat.

I did some work on a Mikro 4 string a friend uses at church. I shielded it, and added a dummy coil in the control cavity to remove the J pickup's hum. Now it's silent for church use.

6. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Used gold tone micro bass.

7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The short scale I'm hankering for is the Dub King, short-scale and semi-hollow ... really nice. Above your preferred price range (~$1000) but you never know what you might find used.

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Glad the OP got a bass, congrats!

Jag SS and Rumble 40 love here:

Attach17800_20200605_093103.jpg

screefer likes this.
  9. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

I thought that too before I bought my first short scale but soon decided that it isn't necessary. Just my opinion.

I have La Bella LTF (42-100) on my EB-0 and 760FS (45-105) on my Ibanez TMB30, and both sound and feel great.

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  10. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates TDPRI Member

Hofner Club all day long ...

11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the Mustang. They sound great, come in lots of pickup choices, and are made in Squirt and Fender versions of all price ranges. MX19042462-0006.jpg

12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

The MIM Fender Mustang Bass is a very good sounding and playing versatile bass. It retails for $575 new. IMO worth the money. You can probly find a floor model or used one within your budget. I have the American Performer version which costs twice as much. Get the best bass you can afford, and it will serve you well for a long time.. 20200818_115623.jpg

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. avagadro

avagadro Tele-Meister

A friend had one of these. They seem like a great choice at a good price if you can find one.

14. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Gonna dogpile on the Squier Bronco responses here...bought one a couple years ago - never played bass before - with a Fender Rumble 25 iirc, great fun, sounds fine for amateur use, and I suck - I sound like a guitar player trying to play bass, which is accurate. I’ve found the Rumble sounds great with my guitars, especially with my multi-fx pedal, so there’s that... I REALLY dig the look of the Rumble pic with the lipstick pickup...surely has to sound better than whatever generic pickup the factory stuck in there. Sounds fine to this non-bassist, love the short scale, and the neck and board feel sweet, especially for an affordable guitar. Mine’s the ubiquitous black, so a lipstick pup would look even cooler...although I don’t play it often enough or well enough to warrant even that...it’s fun, that’s all I need

15. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Duplicate post, nevermind

16. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the EB-O bass. If that doesn't work out for you, I love my little Hofner Ignition Beatles Bass. I bought one around Christmas and had to wait a while because it was on back order. A few weeks later my band mate, the bass player, walked over to the pawn shop next door to our gig and picked one up with the plastic still on it! Anyway, he gets compliments on it every time we play. And I love mine--I mostly use it for recording, but it has a great sound and feel with flatwounds on it.

17. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Posted earlier, failed to mention:
    I have an old Mustang Bass. The neck has that full width Fender feel without going overboard. Needs a little work but it plays and sounds just like it should.
    Bought a Squier Bass VI a few years back, when they first came out, and I like what it brings to the party but will probably convert it to a baritone, because that's what I seem to want to do with it, regardless. The bridge is the weak point, BTW.
    Also have a Rogue Violin bass. It's a fun instrument. Admittedly a little toy like in weight and feel but that's part of its charm. My first bass was a violin shaped Conrad so nostalgia and a stupid deal price kicked in.
    I do own a 1975 Precision. It's a handful, but if I were really serious about playing bass, it does sound wonderful.
    Which brings me back around to the Jaguar SS: if you like the narrow neck, and I do, it's a fine one.

18. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I had an Epiphone Viola bass about 20 years ago. I wasn't bad and you can get them pretty cheap used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.