1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help narrow down my short scale bass search

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by jd1655, Oct 20, 2020.

1. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

8BE0CD53-BB71-4BE0-9919-15745DC2F2AC.jpeg 673F113F-CBD5-4FD3-BFD2-508B2F209ACC.jpeg Got some. Note truss rod cover.

Nahtabot and PaulNYC like this.
  2. PaulNYC

PaulNYC TDPRI Member

hemingway likes this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1 for the Bronco bass. It sounds quite good and is easy to play for young players or full-size players who don't have the reach it takes to easily play a full scale bass. Squier knocked it out of the park with this little bass, and if your budget is $400 you will still have money to buy an amp after buying the bass new.

Fuelish and screefer like this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Squier Jag. Cheap as chips and it does the job. Very slim neck, though, which some people don't like.

5. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I have a Hofner Club Bass and it's great. It's light as a feather and plays easily.

HCT-500_2-BK_1.jpg

bendercaster and PaulNYC like this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

+1 for the squire jag bass. Dig mine.

7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I really like my Hofner. Mostly because it's very light. The odd controls actually give you a useful variety of sounds. As mentioned, not that good for slapping and popping, but with a good amp, it does everything else well.

That said, I'd probably go with one of the other recommendations for maximum flexibility, if you're only going to have one bass.

8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Funny, I have that in black, and was going to recommend checking them out. Compact, lightweight, and plays nice.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Another Squier Jag vote-here's mine
    0.jpg

10. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

My advice (worth every cent you paid for it BTW):

1) If possible where you live (city or nearby), try to buy used on Craigslist or similar,
    save literally hundreds of dollars and put instruments into your price range that
    are otherwise outside of it.

2) If you want a fender short scale, you can't lose with the Mustang PJ. See above.
    You can probably find one at ~400 used if you're patient. Amortize that cost over
    a number of years of ownership and it's a slam-dunk, worth every penny.

3) I stupidly sold my Mustang PJ, but then STRUCK GOLD (on Craigslist) on a MIJ
    Mustang, which is an overall much nicer instrument (which is prolly why they go
    for twice what the M-PJ does -- also hype, so there's that).

4) Can't help you re: Ibanez. People here seem to have a lot of good things to say
    about them. I am TRYING not to be an aesthetics snob, but I'm not there yet..
    (my problem and cross to bear, not yours).

GOOD LUCK..!

Obsessed likes this.
  11. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

^^This. I will add that the maple neck is a dream to play coming from yer Tele.
    Here's mine with a cheap Artec lipstick single coil and Chrome flats. Dead quiet. All you need and as Greg said...extra dough for an amp!

IMG_0984.JPG

12. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

....which, of course, would be a Rumble 40...:)

13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Heck yes and heck yes! @screefer that lipstick single looks awesome in the Bronco!

Fuelish likes this.
  14. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

The new Mustangs with the P/J set up sound and feel fantastic. My son has been doing a lot of bass shopping recently, and that one has been a strong contender.

I'm a bit of a short scale junky and try any I can get my hands on.

Out of all the others mentioned, I'm a big fan of the Jaguar SS...and I'd also throw any recent Danelectro reissue in for consideration if you can find one used.

Since this is for home recording, you should consider the limitations of some of the other styles (and this includes the Dano I just mentioned.) The Hofner style options and Epiphones usually sound a bit darker, and their bridge layouts and narrow neck widths/taper/profiles can limit playing styles (the occasional slap, if needed, is a lot easier on the Fender style bridges.)

I'm sitting next to an Epiphone EB-O I picked up a while back and just overhauled. In addition to a new finish to cover up some deep scratches left by the previous owner, I added extra foam padding into the pickup cover to stop rattling, ran a ground wire to said cover to cut out extra hum and replaced the factory pots and wiring, which were a bit of a mess; very noisy, more improper grounding and a volume pot that was on the verge of failing. I also reset the lifting bridge studs, which are a common issue.

It's now in top condition, and is fun to mess around with, but I'm not sure it's going to be a keeper. It's still heavy, prone to neck dive and tonally limited. I wouldn't recommend it as a starter bass or an only bass.

15. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For under $400 you can get a new Squier Vintage style Mustang. They come in Olympic White and Surf Green and have the old style string through bridge and tinted glossy neck. Compared to my Mustang PJ its sound options are limited, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad. I thought I wouldn't like the pickup but a change of strings, turning up the volume and bass on the amp a litttle and I'm good to go. The bass (especially the neck) has a higher quality look and feel than previous Squiers I've owned. Just my 2 cents.

16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I'm partial to a short scale bass. I borrowed the Vox back in '78 (the owner knows I have it and wants me to keep it, but won't let me buy it). The Squier Vista series Musicmaster was bought used in about 2004. The full scale Power Jazz Special was sold last year, I don't need a full scale bass. The KAM ukulele bass has become my bass of choice, sonically not so versatile, but compact and a pleasure to play.

Over on TalkBass they often cover the topic of short scale bass options. They have some impressive instruments, often costing several thousand, but at the budget end of the spectrum it is the Mikro, Squier Mustang and Jaguar that come up time and again in their recommendations. I don't know about the Epiphone EB-0, but I don't recall anyone having a good word to say for the Mudbucker fitted to the Gibson variant.

upload_2020-10-21_18-23-28.jpeg upload_2020-10-21_18-26-36.jpeg

17. don

don Tele-Meister

Lots of good suggestions - I'm primarily a bass player now - switched over from guitar and the

Danelectro Longhorn is a great comfortable choice - they sound great, lightweight and record well.

s-l640.jpg

fidopunk likes this.
  18. jd1655

jd1655 TDPRI Member

Awesome responses everyone. My buddy offered me his EB0 this afternoon. Needs strings... bass strings are something i know little about. Folk rock kinda stuff. Acoustic guitars, some electronic on tracks. Need special stings on these things?

68Telebass likes this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Bassman8 likes this.
  20. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I think round wound strings would be best for an EB-0. It would have come from the factory with a set of .045-.105 round wound strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.