HELP: my humbuckers are humming, but not when both are on

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WilburBufferson, Sep 28, 2020.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

I just installed some Seymour Duncan Antiquity mini humbuckers in a SG -- got it all together tonight but I am hearing hum on the bridge and neck pickups (alone), but the guitar is dead silent in the middle position (both pickups).

Two-conductor wire, no fancy switches. I followed the diagram from Duncan. All else equal, what are the likely culprits of this noise, or is it possible that they are just "that way," as some humbuckers are? They sound big and full, so I don't think I'm hearing only one coil on either, but I find the hum cancellation in the middle position a bit odd.

What should I check first? I can send a picture but it's pretty cramped in there!

2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I would ask Duncan.

3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

After thinking about it, are they two conductor plus shield or only two? If there is a separate shield, it has to be grounded, also.
    I'll shut up now.

4. WilburBufferson

20200928_224337.jpg

5. WilburBufferson

two conductor...

6. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Just a hunch but I suspect the switch since it’s good in the middle position. If you don’t have a spare, maybe do a test going straight from neck pickup to volume pot, then repeat with bridge. Good luck!

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  7. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Tele-Meister

A shot in the dark is the bridge still grounded? Your saying its quiet in the middle position so it probly isnt what im suggesting.
    I just picked up a guitar that hummed with humbuckers, except when i touched the metal jack plate. Leading me to beleive the bridge and strings are not grounded.

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  8. WilburBufferson

I know what you are referring to, but it isn't that. I bought these on ebay and the seller told me that the antiquities are slightly noisy, just like how they made them back then. Shame, because they otherwise sound good. So, I'm sending them back.

This is the second high-end Duncan set I have owned that has really disappointed me. I didn't even get into the time I spent getting them set up with spacers and shims so that they would properly fit in my SG. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.