1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! My finger's ceased up.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by The Teleist, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Teleist

The Teleist Tele-Meister

Hi all,
    I've recently been playing 'Tie Your Mother Down' by Queen a lot. One of the main chords to it is an A major power chord on the second fret. To play this I tend to flatten my index finger against the second fret and then strum the A and D strings. However, after playing this song for a few hours yesterday, my index finger had a pain around the knuckle area. Being the fool I am, I soldiered on and continued playing. After sleeping, and playing again this mornig, I can hardly play any chord, barr, open or otherwise without some pain.

Are there any excercises/diagrams you chaps could put up that I could do that might relieve the pain? I was thinking of using a soft ball to squeeze, I forget what they're called It's not unbearable, and I can hardly go to the doctor to say my finger hurts.
    Cheers,
    The Teleist

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

The word is "Seized".........If holding an open A or A5 is hurting, then I suggest that you are holding the chord too tight or need to address the set-up. As for your inflammation of the joint now, ice it - put ice in a small glass of water and dip the effected digit in.

To avoid future problems with weak fingers, train hard:

[​IMG]

;)

3. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

There is a thai chi 'exercise' that may ease this.

Difficult without pictures but basically stretches and loosens the tendons and joints:-

Start by pressing down with the thumb of the other hand between the finger bones in the back of the hand and sliding the thumb down the groove from wrist to knuckles. This is a firm massaging action, press and squeeze. Repeat a few times each digit.

Then grasp each finger in turn and gently pull it so that it slips out of the grasp, 'walking' your grip down the finger to massage it. Repeat for all fingers and thumbs both hands.

Stop trying to strangle the neck, learn good technique now, although I suspect the root of the problem is that you have yet do develop an adult's strength of hand which makes snapping the neck off the guitar a viable option. You have the best hand exercise machine in the world in front of you: it's a guitar. The rest will happen with time, quicker than you think. A relaxed grip on the neck allows you to move your fingers very much faster.

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

5. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

Yes, your pressing down too hard and probably hyper extending the finger joint. If you do it enough you can cause damage and develop arthritis. Try using a three finger configuration for the chord for awhile and give the joint a rest. No one ever told me but you dont' really need to drive the strings into the finger board to get the chord to fret properly. I probably use way too much pressure.

Take some Alieve to help with the inflammation. Take care of it now or you may have to take up slide.

6. The Teleist

The Teleist Tele-Meister

Hello
    Thanks for the advice, instead of flattening it against the neck I've begun to bend it and it's not hurting as much. Thanks guys.

7. guitartoday

guitartoday TDPRI Member

For Beginners, keep in mind 4 Points To Avoid Fingers Hurt
    1. Check Your Guitar’s Action (Main Reason, I am Sure)
    2. Pick the Best Guitar for Beginner
    3. Observe Correct Posture While Playing
    4. Persistence, hard study and diligence

8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

That song only goes for 3:45 (4:48 if you do the album version). Why were you playing it for hours?

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't touch the guitar until all the pain is gone. Rest is key. A few days off now is well worth avoiding chronic problems.

10. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Guys, this thread is six years old. I'm sure the OP is either healed or has quit guitar.

Thread closed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.