Help! My amps are too loud!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Redraider66, Nov 30, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

To me it sounds like you want an amp you can crank at home but not have anyone but you hear it ! All amps, 5 watts to 50 watts are gonna be heard in the next room. There is no gettin' around it. Thats why they are called AMPLIFIERS . :)

Good luck ! try this ! $22 on Amazon

SC.jpg

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of people have set their amps with high or full blast volume thinking that it's the best sound without even trying to get good tone at low/lower volumes. Have you tried it at a lower volume? I have my tube amp on 4(no tone knob just gain) and it's darker, but I don't mind the darker tones coming from it.

If you just can't turn it down, then an attenuator or the foam/pillow may be the way you have to go.

3. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Have you thought about an attenuator?
    My Weber MiniMass has a headphone output - you could play your Marshall through headphones!
    With your amps you should get a bigger unit that the "mini." The full size Weber Mass would be perfect for your needs.

4. Redraider66

Redraider66 TDPRI Member

So after all the comments here and on the facebook amp forums, I ordered a Black Friday sale Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb off GC today with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio interface and some nice Audi-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. The Tone Master goes from 22W down to 5W, 1W, 0.5W and finally 0.1W and fills my need for a BF amp finally. It's not the tube Princeton, but on the three side by side comparisons with the tube version I could find online, they sounded so very much alike. This gives me the tone, the volume, and I think everything I need. Thank you everyone for your comments. I probably looked at 20 different amps and solutions over the last day, but Black Friday sales end today and I wanted the 15% off whatever I was going to do. It was go time. You all are amazing. Keep on rockin!

5. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I use a Fairfield Barbershop V2, as an attenuator and boost, it saturates the tubes on my Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed, at 4 levels lower on the volume control.

My partner works from and spends a lot of time on the telephone, talking to clients.The music room is in the basement, directly below her office.

I can play overdrives and fuzz at low volume levels and not disturb her.

The Barbershop V2, is very transparent and I place it at the 1st pedal and it boosts the overdrives and pops your modulation in the mix. I have tried it at the end of overdrives but prefer the Archer Ikon there.

It is very articulate and has great string separation and clarity with touch finger dynamics. It has a sag control, starving voltage to the pedal and can get Tweed sounds.

The BSV2 is gaining popularity on TGP as a versatile pedal that is unique in the myriad of pedals, currently available.

YMMV

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Get a Fender Twin.

Use it to stand a Micro Cube on.

VintageSG likes this.
  7. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Too loud for the house - my problem exactly for an old dog who used to play a 100 watt stack! I've built a number of 5 watt champ style amps that are ok but you can't even crank them and live with other folk. And most, even modest rated amps like my Superchamp XD aren't wonderful at low volume but.....

I can heartily recommend the Yamaha TRHC10 as a a great practice tool with a really decent high quality tone that's streets ahead of most solid state designs.

Now I've been toying with buying the tweed Blues Junior for it's excellent tone but too loud really however there is one amp on the horizon and soon to be on sale that sounds like a great all purpose solution Fender Tonemaster Deluxe - look it up. Solid state but modelling just the Blackface tube deluxe in a light weight design and with variable output settings from 22 watts to 5w and 0.5w! Looks beautiful and sounds wonderful in the few reviews so far - now that might be just the thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.